rF2 Canned Effects

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by vegaguy5555, Jan 7, 2018.

1. vegaguy5555

vegaguy5555 Registered

There is this huge discussion in the AC forum right now with Stefano about canned effects. Stefano suggested asking over here so I am asking.

Does rF2 have any added FFB effects to give more of a bum in the seat feel?

http://www.assettocorsa.net/forum/index.php?threads/discuss-rfactor2.36890/page-70#post-951059

The "canned" discussion starts at about page 70.

Edit: I guess Stefano didn't suggest someone ask here, it must have been someone else?
    Sorry for the mistake!
    If Stefano had asked me to take his name out I would have. I didn't think he said anything bad about rF2, in fact I thought he was polite and informative, but he banned me without warning from AC for asking this question using his name.

My intentions were not to insult Assetto Corsa or rFactor 2 I just thought it was an interesting topic.

I apologize to Stefano and rF2.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2018
    Ace Pumpkin and Rastas like this.
  2. stonec

stonec Registered

No, rF2 is known for not having any canned effects, that's one of the major selling points. You will fine some lines of canned effects if you look in Controller.JSON, but those are remains from rF1 and none of them do anything as far as I know. It looks like the person on AC forum thought they still are used in rF2, but they are not.

vegaguy5555 likes this.
  3. vegaguy5555

vegaguy5555 Registered

I just got banned from AC forum for asking this question here. I had linked Stefano as to show I wasn't bashing anyone. I didn't think Stefano said anything bad about rF2. That's why I linked it both ways.

Just thought it was an interesting read.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2020
  4. patchedupdemon

patchedupdemon Registered

Good to know there’s no canned effects in rf2,that’s all I ever hear from a few people on the iracing forums

5. Flaux

Flaux Registered

Rf2 has canned effects.

Jolt ffb from hitting other cars and walls or armco. (Can be turned off.)

Also kerb push or pull effects. (Can be turned off)

Not sure about the grass/sand effects...

The road noise has some artificial bumps added as well to compensate for not laserscanning... but as stated, not a canned effect.

But that should be it...

vegaguy5555 likes this.
  6. Mulero

Mulero Registered

I only read a few pages at random from the thread and I find it regrettable that since Kunos the existence of that thread is allowed in its forum that is basically used to criticize rF2. I understand that such comments are allowed in news pages, after all, the controversy is visits. But in the official AC forum?

7. Flaux

Flaux Registered

Nowadays every official forum has topics about other games... It's stupid but it is what it is. #fanboiz

8. stonec

stonec Registered

Those are the effects from rF1 that I'm talking about. Not sure if they actually do anything in rF2, but they are not on by default and not meant to be enabled. The rumble from curb is due to the real curb geometry. If you drive on a flat curb in rF2, you will notice it gives no rumble. The bumps added to road are no canned effects, it's still the FFB reacting to actual road geometry no matter if the road itself is fake or not. Unsure about the jolt when hitting other cars, would need someone to confirm it from S397.

patchedupdemon, vegaguy5555 and Flaux like this.
  9. Flaux

Flaux Registered

I changed my post. Jolt and Kerb pull is definitly a thing. I always turn them off when I create a new profile.

Why are they still active anyway? They do nothing for the game in my opinion.

10. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Can you please check that kerb pull actually happens? It should be easy enough to verify: set it to a large value (say 10 or so), roll down a kerb and see what the forces are like, then set it to a large negative value (-10) and see if those forces are now very different.

I ask because I just tried setting it to 10 and ran on some kerbs at the Silverstone National layout and there didn't appear to be any pull (FISI2012). I'm sure I tried the exact same thing in rF1 and the effect was very pronounced.

vegaguy5555 likes this.
  11. Rastas

Rastas Registered

I got a warning,they can not handle a simple question,Stefano is a nice dev and guy,but some users,dammmmm.......

vegaguy5555 likes this.
  12. Flaux

Flaux Registered

Can do, but not today. Sry. Maybe soneone else? I would be interested aswell.

13. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

Kerb effects will only affect if some track is using the old material from the tdf. Official tracks do not use it for sure.

IMO collision with other cars is a different story since it is a very specific moment in time and not permanent. Unless a deformable chassis and an advanced collision system are implemented you could not properly simulate it. So YES it is a canned effect that is 99,9% of the time inactive.

14. Mulero

Mulero Registered

Here I do not see any thread called "Discuss about AC" in which anyone can say what they want about AC. If I have seen many threads in which other games are discussed and in which when the limit is exceeded, it is announced or closed directly.

But we are talking about a thread with almost 1500 posts in which from the first page is doing shit about rF2. If you allow this in your forum, the only thing that is showing is a great lack of respect for the rest of the developers, and more when a large number of users have been banned from that forum for bringing up the AC failures.

Rui Santos and vegaguy5555 like this.
  15. Marcel Offermans

Marcel Offermans Registered

So let's lead by example here and be respectful towards each other and other simulations.

ebeninca, Ho3n3r, RaceNut and 10 others like this.
  16. vegaguy5555

vegaguy5555 Registered

I haven't look at the rest of the thread lately. I guess I shouldn't have linked it? I didn't mean to start something.

17. vegaguy5555

vegaguy5555 Registered

I'm not sure what I should do with this thread? I feel bad about making Stefano upset. I thought it an innocent question. If you want to delete my thread I understand.

18. Marcel Offermans

Marcel Offermans Registered

I don't think you should do anything with this thread. If you feel bad towards Stefano, I suggest simply telling him that.

vegaguy5555 likes this.
  19. Gevatter

Gevatter Registered

So would you help bring an end to the discussion about possible canned effects in rF2 @Marcel Offermans and let us know about those entries in the .json files like jolt, kerb pull/push and the whole list? Are they relics from rF1 and inactive, are they multipliers for what comes through the FFB from the physics? I wondered about those myself for some time now. First hand information would be really great. Thanks!

Ace Pumpkin and SPASKIS like this.
  20. patchedupdemon

patchedupdemon Registered

Curb pull is definitely a thing,at Silverstone in the fr3.5,the outside curbs leading into abbey Woodcote and copse all push and pull the car,when I run the left wheels on it.
    I experienced it just yesterday and everytime I race there,I like the effect and it’s what I’d expect,but maybe a little over done

RaceNut likes this.