Should I buy Oculus Rift or wait for the next generation of VR?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by momoracer, Jan 4, 2018.

Tags:
  1. JimmyT

JimmyT Registered

So MarcG how do you find it on your setup? Smooth, clear, stutter free?? or otherwise? Can you drive in the rain OK?

I run i5 6600 @ 3.3ghz with GTX1070 8G stock and 32G ram win10 64bit Home

2. MarcG

MarcG Registered

As posted elsewhere Rain is a no go currently with the settings I want to run at (I'll await further optimisation), as for dry running it runs great at 45FPS(Medium/High settings, 2.0 SteamVR SS), some slight stutters at race start but that calms down and the rest of the race is perfectly fine with 29AI - as ever mod & track dependant.

JimmyT likes this.
  3. NickSpeed

NickSpeed Registered

HTC VIVE AND IT"S AMAZING - RAIN IN UNPLAYABLE BUT WHATEVER - LOVING IT SO FAR

vegaguy5555 likes this.
  4. Seven Smiles

Seven Smiles Registered

The beer glass (any beer I drink comes in bottles :p) is a problem and I’m having to get good at finding the wheel buttons by feel but your 120" curved screen won’t give you the immersion of 3D vision. I suppose if you got a 3D projector it might work but then you’re back to the VR problem of your poor old graphics card having to render two views. You’d also need head-tracking for the full effect.

ECAR_Tracks likes this.
  5. momoracer

momoracer Registered

Damn, what about 2 1080 ti on SLI? the electricity bills may be brutal tho...

I guess you don't even need full graphics on VR due decreased resolution...

One of the reasons I wanted to wait for the next generation of VR is foveat rendering. Supposedly, next gen VR will have eye tracking, so the engine will know where you are looking at, and just like in real life, the surrounding areas aren't clear, you only need HD where you are focusing your view at, this will mean that you can save resources by rendering low res where you are not looking at and high res where you are looking at, and as a result get a clearer vision too.

No worries about eyesight. I got my eyes lasered years ago, I was only 21 I think. I couldn't handle glasses or contacts. I got them done with a 7th generation lasik which at the time was the most advanced and man it was a good decision. It actually cured my dry-watery eye condition too probably because my eyes were always forced due the bad eyesight. I think what caused me to develop myopia was using GameBoy for hours as a kid, and also staring into a CRT computer that was so close to my vision.

I still spend way too much time on the computer but modern monitors put at a safe distance don't seem to be destroying my eyesight. I also make sure that I dont spend more than necessary looking at my smartphone, those are the real modern vision killers.

I hope that VR headsets are, as I've heard, not bad for your vision because they trick your brain into thinking that you are looking far at a distance. In this case it would actually be good. I try to take beraks myself and look at a distant building through the window once in a while to not atrophy the eyes.

Seven Smiles likes this.
  6. Seven Smiles

Seven Smiles Registered

I think that’s right. Without my glasses a monitor is just a blur but I can read text happily without glasses in my Rift.

I’ve added foveat rendering to my list of phrases to drop into a conversation when I want to seem intelligent.

7. momoracer

momoracer Registered

It's actually foveated rendering. It's the only hope I have so we can enjoy higher res VR without needing a NASA computer in the near (2 years) future. At least for now that is the only thing I know that would save a lot of resources.

Ernie likes this.
  8. Seven Smiles

Seven Smiles Registered

I’ve added foveat rendering to my list of phrases to drop into a conversation when I want to seem i̶n̶t̶e̶l̶l̶i̶g̶e̶n̶t̶ like a fool.

vegaguy5555 likes this.
  9. Magus

Magus Registered

HTC Vive have just tweeted THIS, which coincides with CES 2018

DSyvBz0VMAEEYTE.jpg large.jpg
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 5, 2018
    vegaguy5555 and MarcG like this.
  10. MarcG

MarcG Registered

was just saying on Discord yesterday/the other day about getting ready to build a new PC specifically in mind of Gen2! Nice.

11. trollray

trollray Registered

Hey, have you heard about pimax 8k? ;)

Look at this on google and you wont be disapointed,
    This hmd is made for racesim :p
    My 5 cents ;)

vegaguy5555 likes this.
  12. momoracer

momoracer Registered

Most people in the know in VR say it's a scam.

13. momoracer

momoracer Registered

Nice, looks like it was a good idea to wait and not buy anything, lets see what they say in august.

14. lasercutter

lasercutter Registered

Why is it a scam?

They raised over 4 million with the kickstarter campaign, got 15 million in private funding recently and are at CES this week with the latest prototype.

The only thing that is misleading is that the 8k is only the horizontal resolution and not the vertical but still much higher resolution and fov than anything else available.

only time will tell I guess.

vegaguy5555 likes this.
  15. momoracer

momoracer Registered

Lets wait for the actual reviews in actual games to compare with Oculus.
    For me its a scam already in the sense that you can't claim 8k when not actual 8k.

16. lasercutter

lasercutter Registered

I think scam is a bit harsh, their thinking was a bit strange but I can see the logic used, using a 4K panel per eye which is 2 x4K = 8K
    Maybe naming it Pimax 4K duo or something similar would have been better but it's too late now.
    I've not seen any "in the know" reviews or heard anyone call it a scam in any of the videos or articles that I've watched and read, in fact Palmer Luckey has voiced his support for the project and recently posted this on his facebook page

41862d17fa39888724fe27928d53f7e9f3626c59.jpg

there are a few thousand kickstarter backers who will provide all the feedback anyone should need and if it turns out to be a waste of money I'll be the first one advising people against it, however if it delivers on it's promises this could well be the VR headset of choice for sim racing until either the rift or vive 2nd gen appear.

So in answer to your original question I would say wait until all the CES announcements have been made before deciding what to go for and try to get a demo before commiting to buy, not everyone feels comfortable using VR and some people can't accept the lower resolution, those that can look past those current limitations however tend to find the experience totally immersive and are commited to VR.

vegaguy5555 and Guimengo like this.
  17. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Unless it's American dating...then it's Monday!

18. Magus

Magus Registered

Yes, it's Monday, when CES 2018 starts

MarcG likes this.
  19. momoracer

momoracer Registered

Oh wait, since im from spain, I thought it was 1 august, not 8 january... stupid americans :D

20. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

Yes, we ARE stoopid. But not all of us. The Military insists on copying some archaic form from the old world that lists the day prior to the month. They also can't tell AM from PM on a watch, so they report all times in some 24hr format. Like ANYBODY would drive that long or something......