Aggressive threading = hyper threading ??

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by dadaboomda, Jan 5, 2018.

1. dadaboomda

dadaboomda Registered

Hi guys.

There is in the "UI config.ini" an option "aggressive threading", according to S397 it is for some old AMD / Intel processors.

I have a i5 2500K that suffers a lot when I pass the 10 AI.

What is certain is that according to INTEL, the i5 2500K does not support "HYPER threading".

My question is therefore :

"Aggressive threading" (RF2) is it a synonym for "hyper threading"?

Thank you.

2. lordpantsington

lordpantsington Registered

Essentially hyperthreading is multi core emulation from a single physical core. Your i5 2500K is a 4 core, 4 thread, whereas the i7 2600K has 4 cores, 8 threads. The i7 has hyperthreading.

3. stonec

stonec Registered

Yeah hyper threading is hardware level propriatery feature of Intel to emulate two cores from one physical core. Only thing rF2 option has in common with it is the word "threading". What rF2 threading does, nobody has explained to me fully, but I was told it's an option you only want to enable for older CPU's. I guess by older they mean a CPU with less per core performance. I benchmarked it briefly months ago and it felt more stuttery on my CPU with that setting enabled.

4. ceecee

ceecee Registered

I recently tested Aggressive Threading on my i7 920 and lost around 15-20% FPS.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2018
  5. dadaboomda

dadaboomda Registered

Thank you for your answers.

With graphical parameters between the "low range" and "medium range" recommendations of S397, AA = 3 and Full HD, PP on off, time scale = off, realroad = X5, visible AI = 10, number of AI = 20, and maximum number of frames in the parameters nvidia "1", mod GT3 and nordschliefe scanned laser version :

CPU fan very noisy (but ultra aggressive custom fan parameter), minimum FPS at 55 on 21 km of race (circuit " requestor in resource "), but sometimes lags related to the CPU of which 1 or 2 very big.

Rather positive assessment :

I normally have these lags and with this intensity with 10-12 AI max of which only 6 visible.

I'll keep this setting for now, hoping that the fan will not loose ...

6. Max Dralle

Max Dralle Registered

You could setup a local dedicated LAN server, hosting a bucket load of AIs and connect to that.
    This would distribute the overall CPU load over more cores, than running in single player mode, because the server will use its own separate thread(s), handling all the AI calculations.

7. e270889o

e270889o Registered

With my i5 4460 with 4 cores and without hyperthreading, 4 cores are usually used ingame around 40% with 15ai
    With aggresive threading, 1 core its almost not used, and the rest keeps at 70% aprox. 20% less performance almost

8. ebeninca

ebeninca Registered

Maybe cpu temperature is reaching 80C

9. e270889o

e270889o Registered

WTF? So you have better threading distribution if you play in your own LAN server?

10. Max Dralle

Max Dralle Registered

Of course, because the server will run using its own executable, without being tied to the game executable.
    Therefore, more cores can be utilized, resulting in better overall performance.

11. Lazza

Lazza Registered

@stonec in this case what's being suggested is running the server on the same PC. Because it's a separate process, windows can run it on a different core to the single player side. So even if the game itself can't (or doesn't) run all the AI stuff on a separate core when you do normal single player, running the server separately will make it happen.

12. The Iron Wolf

The Iron Wolf Registered

Wow! Have anyone measured FPS differences for local dedicated server vs single player game? This seems very interesting, thanks for sharing.

13. dadaboomda

dadaboomda Registered

Hello.

I am new to creating a rfmod, then a server.

These are the two big steps ?

MY PROCESS

1. Create a rfmod

1.1 I tried to create a rfmod with all cars ISI / S397, except rfcmp with the same name with two identical versions (eg GT3, FE etc.). Once the rfmod is created, I package it: OK, works. BUT: during the installation, it puts me: ~ "failed to verify", the rfmod of 6 GO does not install.

1.2. Try again but with a single mod circuit (as before the Nordschleife) and especially a single car mod (Braham) : rfmod created + rfmod packaging OK + verify rfmod OK + installation succeed ....!

2. I create my server with this rfmod, 38 AI, I click on start (or equivalent button) : the UI indicates to me for 15 seconds "load track", the time begins to flow ... I DO WHAT AFTER ?! :).

3. I went in the multiplayer, filtered by "LAN" but also "WLAN": I can not find my server !!

So I need two things :

- How to create my rfmod with all cars ISI / S397 and especially to install it, without it put me "failed to verify".

- Create a party in LAN and especially to find it !!!!

Thank you.

14. Eddy

Eddy Registered

15. dadaboomda

dadaboomda Registered

Thank you very much, I try now. But seems complicated ;)

16. Max Dralle

Max Dralle Registered

Hi, dadaboomda.

You need to create a MOD package file (.rfmod), using the MAS tool from the rF2 launcher.
    MAS-Tool.jpg
    In that interface, there's an icon of a small open yellow box and when you hover with your mouse pointer over it, it shows a popup "create the package file."

When selecting the cars that are supposed to be in your compilation, make sure you only select the highest available version number. This is particularly relevant for S397 cars, since they always will show two version numbers.

Then add your desired tracks and their respective layouts.

If you struggle with that, there are quite a few tutorials online available.

However, when using that package for a LAN server, you have to make sure, your multiplayer.json has the HTTP server port correctly set, so that it'll broadcast in your LAN and not in WAN.

"HTTP Server Port":27013,

Once the serve is running and has loaded all AIs, you should be able to see it in your LAN and connect to it.

HTH,
    Max

Alexandr Meshkov likes this.
  17. Max Dralle

Max Dralle Registered

btw. the tutorial Eddy linked above, is not neccessary for hosting a server.
    I just start the server from the rF2 launcher, select my mod, adjust track rotation and opponent field (if neccessary).

18. dadaboomda

dadaboomda Registered

Thank you for this message, it's really nice.

19. LeoLuzesSimRacing

LeoLuzesSimRacing Registered

Could someone clarefy if these ("HTTP Server Port":27013) need to be set on Dedi-Server or on the Player PC?

20. delapecs

delapecs Registered

Only if your server is in the same lan, I think.
    But is better you open a new topic for you question and don't reopen a 2018 topic.
    Greeetings