[Official] DX9 vs DX11 performance difference

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by 4thworld, May 4, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dadaboomda

dadaboomda Registered

I will try this @Ari Antero , thank's

2. ECAR_Tracks

ECAR_Tracks Registered

None of the modern i7 should suffer from core parking except you have some very conservative power management option enabled in Windows, otherwise the OS will use all cores at max performance when running any demand application.

3. ebeninca

ebeninca Registered

Yes, i use High Performance, but a found this..

upload_2018-1-3_0-33-24.png

Probably was not in 100%

4. Ari Antero

Ari Antero Registered

If it was in 100% you still did score less in benchmark and your CPU was not 100% in use, never trust Microsoft ;)

You could use same argument about HPET. I had known about HPET for a long time, but I still left it enabled in the BIOS because I knew it wasn't being used by the OS. For the OS to use it, it has to be turned on specifically using a bcdedit command, or sometimes the OS turns it on by itself. However, it appears that disabling it in the BIOS still impacts performance even if the OS isn't using it specifically.
    I have disabled HPET in my BIOS and I am surprised at how noticeable the improvement is in games like rFactor2, BL2, BF4.... The difference in smoothness is definitely noticeable in my PC (I7 6950x).
    I don`t see any point to use HPET as a system timer. If you have Windows 7 on up and a Core i5/7 (or AMD equivalent) based system. In these newer systems, Windows uses the newer Invariant TSC, which is a much more reliable and consistent system timer than HPET.

Do you have HPET enabled or disabled in your system?

5. ECAR_Tracks

ECAR_Tracks Registered

I believe i7-4790K (which is not so modern, but still...) has not HPET option, at least I've never seen in BIOS interface. Probably, if there is, it's set as default. Going to check out. I remember that I checked the core parking stuff and my conclusion is that is not necessary to use third party tools when you set Windows Power Management as "balanced" or "maximum power" have done the job. I don't remember if Ebeninca's reported setting above was 100% though.

6. Skan

Skan Registered

7. AMillward

AMillward Registered

I cap my frames to 60, reduces CPU load and improves performance for me as the processor isn't wasting power.

8. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

And finally my Christmas present arrived.
    I am eager to check how rF2 runs on it. I hope the DK2 runs fine as well since it has been abandoned for over a year.
    IMG_20180109_015151.jpg IMG_20180109_015009.jpg IMG_20180109_015245.jpg

9. ADSTA

ADSTA Registered

That should get you going with low settings. :p

You've one upped me everywhere, I've got the M5 mobo, i5 7600k and a 1080. :oops:

SPASKIS likes this.
  10. Amanda Santini

Amanda Santini Registered

I'm seriously considering completely removing rF2 from my drive :/

Newer rain effects shouldn't make rF2 run at 20-30 FPS with every graphical option on the lowest, 6 visible vehicles, and CPU usage at 5%.
    I disable the mirrors and FPS goes to 80 on same conditions, though CPU usage doesn't go up.

Optimization on this newest build is, with all due respect to the team, the worst I've seen. Ever.
    Either that, or something is extremely wrong with the effects.

"The other sim recently launched" has beautiful looking rain everywhere, my FPS is 80 to 90 in thunderstorm -70 at it's worse-, GPU usage to 99% and 65% CPU usage on Medium-High settings, on Thunderstorm weather. I can even record and encode with my GPU and FPS never drops bellow 59-60, staying between 70 and 85 most of the time.
    If I turn the graphical settings to Max and use the same stormy weather, it runs at +40 FPS, 99% GPU usage and ~70-80% CPU usage. So not only it'll look way better than rF2, it'll perform almost 7x better.
    Still on Max settings, but on dry weather, I see 70-ish FPS.

Meanwhile, rF2 at Max settings (stormiest weather) runs at 6 FPS, 98% GPU usage and 10-20% CPU usage. This is with only my car on track.
    Still on Max settings, but on dry weather, I see 20-ish FPS.
    On medium-high settings, it runs at 130 FPS for me (20% CPU usage). Add rain and FPS drops to 20-30. Something isn't right here.

Regardless of the CPU I use (FX6300), this should not happen. There needs to be a shift in workload and a good balance of it so everybody gets good performance. I can be done, other titles have done it.

And no, the fact that my GPU (R9 270X) runs at PCI-E 2.0 means nothing to performance. It has been proven multiple times that PCI-E 3.0 has absolutely no advantage over 2.0 in gaming, if both are running at x16. If it does make a difference on rF2, the sim needs to change it's mode of operation as not even the 1080Ti can take advantage of gen3 PCI-e specs.

I love rFactor 2 but I will not buy a new computer just because it runs poorly on my system, when pretty much all newer games run and look considerably better.

Regards.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2018
    mesfigas, demerzel, peterchen and 3 others like this.
  11. dadaboomda

dadaboomda Registered

I just take a look to that :

- Good GPU to OC, good cooling and reliable = ASUS ROG-STRIX-GTX1080-O8G-11GBPS for example = 780 euros.

- New modern, reliable and powerfull CPU = INTEL Core i7-7700K Premium EDITION = 399 euros.

- New motherboard socket 1151, reliable but not high end MB : ASUS STRIX Z270G gaming = 218 euros.

- DDR4 quick, reliable, 16 GO : G.Skill RipjawsV 16Go (2x8 Go) 3200 Mhz = 269 euros.

- Medium range PC tower with correct cooling capacity : ~100 euros (minimum)

I have already a good SSD/power supply.

So, if I want 45 AI + ultra settings without concessions + max AA + high quality textures in the nvidia driver, only full HD, in EVERY circonstances (sun low in the sky, big and a lot of shadows, rain + mostly cloudy (shadows + rain + lightning effects), + time scale X5 and realroad X5, + 20 visible AI
    , + mirrors etc. :

I have to buy a computer like this, while I do not play any video games and have no other "simulation" ?

How much is it ?
    1766 euros....... (minimum, the goal is to have quality and capacity to improve it in the future).

Why ?
    Because RF2 is just the worst optimize game/simulation of the world.
    ---> It is therefore up to the user to assume, with thousands of euros, the disaster of the graphic engine of RF2? NO !

Is that acceptable, 5.5 years after the release, more than 1 year since S397 ?
    ---> Every honest people can answer the question by himself.

Improve a little my computer or lower my graphics settigs ? OK, it seems fair.

12. Filip

Filip Registered

Are you saying that without mirrors on rain you have same or even better FPS than on sunny weather?
    Are you sure about that?
    I'm asking because I have the same problem of poor performance in rain. 56 FPS on dry race start vs 26 FPS on rain -> more then double FPS drop.

Never crossed my mind to disable mirrors because on dry gain is 10%-15% FPS for me

13. dadaboomda

dadaboomda Registered

To assign a wheel command to the mirrors and deactivate them for the 3 first km is a good idea.

Same finding in my tests : mirrors eat FPS and CPU time.

You can also deactivate your headlights. There is a real difference, but less important. It just can help.

14. Amanda Santini

Amanda Santini Registered

No. If rFactor 2 is running at it's lowest graphical settings on stormy weather, it runs at 30 FPS with mirrors enabled. If I disable mirrors it goes up to 80-ish, on Interlagos at least.

On dry weather at lowest settings FPS goes up to 200 almost, on Silverstone. CPU usage still less than 20%.
    Still on dry weather but on medium settings, it runs at ~120 FPS.

The rain is the key factor in slow-down.

15. AMillward

AMillward Registered

Would be good if, like in Assetto Corsa, there is a 'low detail mirror' option. One that only shows track and cars for instance.

I have the same processor and I ran 30 GTs, at Bathurst, with Crew Chief AND recorded footage with OBS. CPU peaked at around 90% and didn't throttle once, all while maintaining a (locked) 60fps. It did drop to about 50 when I went past the pits but your eyes don't notice it.

Then again, graphics settings should not affect your CPU usage in any way. It's all down to your GPU (1050ti in my case)

Amanda Santini likes this.
  16. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

if you haven't done yet disable particles in rear view and rearview cull (both in player.json), usually hepls. Not ideal tho and it is an unfair advantage under rain so I guess everyone does it (or at least online racers do)

17. ebeninca

ebeninca Registered

i'm an online racer, and i don't do, realism factor is very important to me.

juanchioooo likes this.
  18. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

When the effect is actually real and has a performance impact that makes sense I hope they even remove this option. Right now if I want to see something like my engine exploding I may as well just explode it lol
    I think the effect has improved but not that nice in the mirror yet, and the impact is not worth it.
    I hope someday rain gets in a state good enough for every setting related to it become locked, except for reflections :)

19. juanchioooo

juanchioooo Registered

Some desperately need performance, but then it takes shadows to full

20. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

Everything at full 132 fps in the agrage with MCL650 and Nola.
    Alt tabbing gained around 12 fps. DX11 :)
    upload_2018-1-10_1-25-44.png

Edit: Correction: Alt tabbing gained more fps
    upload_2018-1-10_1-30-3.png

Ari Antero likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.