Bug causing big performance issue for a part of RF2 users + old stuttering issue still there ;)

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by dadaboomda, Dec 31, 2017.

1. dadaboomda

dadaboomda Registered

- You have catastrophic performances since the passage of DX11 beta to DX11 V1?
    - CPU in difficulty whereas this is almost never arrived in 5 years of RF2 (big lags) ?
    - Performances that can be however acceptable without AI, in particular at times when the AI do not light up their headlights, or the sun is relatively high and where wet road / "water vapor" / rain effects are not present ?

There is obviously a bug, with very heavy consequence for some hardware only (@Marcel Offermans @Christopher Elliott) :

Bug :
    In the UI relative to the config.ini (access by the launcher), there is a data to configure, which is to choose the graphics processor.

For me, it is by default on AUTO, instead of GPU (GTX 780).
    When we change this setting by putting our GPU, this setting is often reset by default, you must check this setting every time you start RF2.

The performances are catastrophic for both the CPU and the GPU when we select "AUTO". Performances SEEMS by selecting the GPU GTX 780.

Problem found by a person from the French-speaking community, on this French site at least one other person has identified this problem.

We THINK that RF2 chooses to use the integrated graphics chipset at the CPU (i5 2500K) instead of the GPU.

Remember to systematically check this setting at RF2 startup.

This setting probably reacts differently depending on the hardware and may be even depending on the drivers.

This may explain why some people are not impacted and others are.

Moreover, to optimize the performance of the CPU :

- Time scale = off (especially if you use the shadows) otherwise "normal" X1.
    - Realroad on "normal" or X2 (especially with the AI and in the rain
    - Decrease the number of AI is the best way to reduce the CPU load
    - Etc etc.

-------------------------------------------------

OLD STUTTERING ISSUE

For @Marcel Offermans / @S397 :

The bug / stuttering problems are not solved !!

I had this problem about 10 times during the 50-70 hours of play.

Auto close launcher : checked.

When the bug occurs, I pause, I go back to the windows desktop with the key Windows + D, then I make a right click on the icon RF2 of the taskbar, I click on RF2 shortcut.

Normally this solves the problem.

If not sometimes doing in-game "ctrl + F" to display the FPS : it works often.

I said that it is stuttering and not a problem of FPS.

jump, StefBord and Rui Santos like this.
  2. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

I can confirm, that the used GPU in the Video Config Settings seems to be used/changed randomly.

Some attempts:
    rf2_vid_set_sp.jpg

Even the different video driver versions appears to me a wee bit strange. I`m allways using "fresh install" for video driver updates.

The performance difference between "Auto" and "Dedicated GPU" seems to be on my system not very large, but its noticeable:

rf2_vid_set_result.JPG

jump and StefBord like this.
  3. patchedupdemon

patchedupdemon Registered

Glad some other have noticed this,thought I was going crazy,I remember to check which gpu it’s chose every time I want to play rf2 now,also when it goes to auto,the monitors refresh rate is changed to 50fps too.

juanchioooo likes this.
  4. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

Yes, i forgot to mention, that some randomly stutterer happen on my system, with heavy dropdowns, when the GPU is set to "Auto". E.g. from 130 FPS Min down to 50 Min. Everything with PP Ultra and just one AI.

5. juanchioooo

juanchioooo Registered

Do you every day open a new post to say the same? complaints about stuttering, low fps? and why not open a post to say that your hardware can not pull with rfator 2 full in 4k on a tv, you also use bad configurations of graphics ......... stories to not sleep

AMillward and McFlex like this.
  6. dadaboomda

dadaboomda Registered

It's to help people. If you have a problem with that, release this thread.

This is not a complaint, it is to signal a very important problem that will allow S397 to react faster, and in the meantime to users not to be impacted.

You do not have to be smart enough to understand that.

You're complaining about people "complaining" about various RF2 issues, which is the purpose of a forum.

What are you doing outside of you? 1/3 of your messages are written to complain about other users, which is precisely what rotten the atmosphere of a forum.

I will not answer your messages any more : you do not try to help or bring something good here, but to complain about other users or to try to be right.

How many people impacted by these two problems will go through this thread ... then relay information on national forums ?

This is the role of users of this forum, not your negative attitude towards other users.

ryyu77 and Mulero like this.
  7. juanchioooo

juanchioooo Registered

let people express themselves, not you for others, which is repetitive in not how many post says the same

opening new reports, which have already been opened

it does not help in anything to say the same in several different post ... etc etc

AMillward and McFlex like this.
  8. StefBord

StefBord Registered

Same problem here, Nvidia 1080GTX and with the new DX11 update, GPU in the Video Config Settings seems to be used/changed randomly. And ingame GPU at 100% and very poor FPS. The Nvidia card seems not used by the game even thought I choose my card in the setup.

With Assetto Corsa test, more than 100fps. So my computer is OK...

I can't play the game... :(

Last edited: Jan 9, 2018
    ericRacer and Suzukinol like this.
  9. tl6

tl6 Registered

Same problem here, Nvidia 960GTX and with the new DX11 update, GPU in the Video Config Settings seems to be used/changed randomly. And ingame GPU at 100% and very poor FPS. The Nvidia card seems not used par the game even thought I choose my card in the setup.

ryyu77 likes this.
  10. ryyu77

ryyu77 Registered

Same problem for me with GTX780TI.
    Please S397 go for it.

11. Amanda Santini

Amanda Santini Registered

12. caravan_driver

caravan_driver Registered

Might help other users with the stutter/sudden slow down case (not the peak performance):
    Lock the GPU to it's 3D Clock using a third party overclock software. I use the one from Asus. But other manufacturers have the same option.

13. Supa

Supa Registered

Funny reading all these tips on how to fix this issue. Go back to DX9!! I have as I'm fed up with this CPU issue as the game is unplayable in DX11 for me as my DD wheel is the culprit here apparently.

14. Clemenca

Clemenca Registered

GTX780 is now 5 years old ! Maybe try little newer hardware for new generation software ?

15. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

Like rF2.

ECAR_Tracks, Louis and Amanda Santini like this.
  16. Clemenca

Clemenca Registered

DX9 version yes but DX11 is from summer 2017... its the same you drive F1 in 2017 with a car from 2013... the only thing you will win is the red lantern ;)

17. dadaboomda

dadaboomda Registered

That is not the problem.

And also less than 5 years ago it was the best GPU, you forget to specify it.

The following games run in ultra at 100% without any concessions in full HD and AA maximum, and they all have ultra better graphics than RF2 (between 12 and 20 AI) : AC, raceroom, dirt rally. PC 2 runs in high on average on all parameters in full HD and AA almost to the maximum + rain.

For all these games, which I tested only a few hours each, I have never had less than 60 FPS (vsync) and especially never any lags related to the processor.

Yes, the gtx780 and the i5 2500K are getting old. But Clemenca you're wrong. There is only one thing to question : the non optimization of the graphic engine of RF2 (which is the same graphic engine as dx9, S397 has just brought a large number of evolutions).

RF2 should work at the very least in high, full HD, with an AA level 3 or 4 minimum, and especially minimum 20 AI (60 FPS stable NO CPU lags).

With all options disabled or LOW and AA level 1 and 20 AI (and also 14 AI), I have many lags (rain + sunrise + 15-20 AI).

We have to stop finding excuses for S397 and tell AMEN what all they do.

They are the best for realism aspects (the most important) but ..... no need to say.

ECAR_Tracks likes this.
  18. Clemenca

Clemenca Registered

RF2 still needs a lot of optimization but your pc also... but please dont tell me you run AC with HD, 8x aa and everything on, maybe also SGSAA 2x and 20 AI and you have stable 60fps... no way with this old system, i am on AC since first beta and drove with gtx980 and could not even turn everything to full... now i drive it with Titan X Pascal and VR and everything full and need ASW to get 90fps

juanchioooo likes this.
  19. juanchioooo

juanchioooo Registered

People think that it is only graphic computing, and forget about physical computation, and the reality is that everything is mathematical calculations,apart from the good, bad or regular, optimized rfactor, other games have less physical computation, because they do not have important physics, so more fps

20. dadaboomda

dadaboomda Registered

I normally play only rf2, but I tested ac I believe there are 4 or 5 months.

I tested the full version with all the DLC, only on the nordchleife and quickly a drift circuit.

Tested at least 15 cars minimum, especially supercars.

There is a kind of benchmark that is done at the beginning, it automatically sets the graphical parameters. With a certain surprise, they were above high and almost all in "ultra / full". I completed by putting all the parameters in ultra, including the AA shadows. If I remember correctly, I have not improved the mirrors parameter, unless it is "reflections" of the car.

Arriving on the Nordschiefe, sometimes with about 12 AI, but more often alone, I'm pretty sure I've never had FPS below 60 (GPU) or lags (CPU).

Unfortunately the realism of AC is totally below what I'm looking for.

That said, this performance was not surprising :

On the RF2 DX9 graphics engine, however poorly optimized, especially in terms of shadows, I had NO exception while ultra, 32 csaa AA, at least multisampling and often the supersampling etc. The gtx 780 was not overclocked nor the processor and I had all the time even at 7:30 am and in the rain 60 FPS constant and never no lags (CPU).

So it does not seem surprising to me that a game of the same era, more beautiful and much more optimized like AC, works really well.

Then to answer you, with my computer I do not want to play ultra and ultra AA and 4K etc.

Just that the performance / quality ratio is acceptable.

It's up to S397 to optimize his game, as all competitors do.

Not users to buy a computer with a gtx 1080 and an i7 6700K with 16 GB of ram DDR4 (I calculate, if I take reliable hardware, and I keep my SSD, it is 1666 euros taking a reliable quality ).

The Iron Wolf likes this.