[Official] DX9 vs DX11 performance difference

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by 4thworld, May 4, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Nice in theory, but unless you aim to do that when making the game it's not automatic. rF2 doesn't do this, I'd guess not many games do. And in a driving game, where the relatively-static cockpit can be travelling along at 100 metres/second and encountering varying shadows, or in a slow turn requiring a change in shading, it's probably not worth the effort.

Even assuming you took the effort and avoided redrawing the cockpit maybe half the time - imagine the sort of stuttering that could introduce when you need to draw it every frame for a good second or two, due to whatever external factors. No, I'd say it's safer and easier to just draw everything every time.

2. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

We are not stupid. We know that is not automatic. We are suggesting a static cockpit mode that for sure would need to be programmed especifically.
    Why don't you let experts dismiss the idea? Are you a graphic rendering expert?
    Why would you refresh the cockpit every other frame?
    Do you think it deserves to waste resources to draw this?

3. Lazza

Lazza Registered

I was replying to Lgel. Merry Christmas.

MarcG likes this.
  4. Mulero

Mulero Registered

This is not possible. A quick look at wikipedia will explain why, although lazza has summarized it perfectly.

We are not experts in rendering but developers are. If that were possible, it would be done in any game but not in any, so some good reason must be.

My assumption as a non-expert in rendering is that the cockpit would be totally disconnected from the rest of the image. In the video that you have put, despite the poor quality and poor graphic quality, the cockpit is still integrated into the image, it reacts to light and shadows.

EDIT: WOOOW !!!! Just remember a game that made use of this technique. As you can see in the capture results were pretty good. I think that GT5 did not receive any criticism for these cokpits.

[​IMG]

5. Lgel

Lgel Registered

I am not suggesting a static cockpit as Spassis , I am not suggesting anything to S397 devs, they know far more than I do.
    I am just saying that the cockpit is the part that is less dynamic, and less costly to calculate and redraw.
    Cheers.

6. Lazza

Lazza Registered

I think in practice it actually makes no difference (I haven't watched Marcel's talk and drive or whatever it is. Videos are too drawn out for my liking...). When everything is drawn every frame, whether it moves 2 pixels to the right or completely off-screen doesn't change what the game does.

Of course this is all very different to, say, video compression (or ASW in VR, to some extent) where pattern/object recognition is used and chunks of the image are moved and altered just enough to maintain continuity, but the changes are able to be stored with less information than the resulting raw images would be. But that's where games are.

*er... I mean, games draw everything each frame, at least as far as I know. I'm no expert :D

7. ebeninca

ebeninca Registered

Afert hours of testing, definitely the DX11 version is impossible to me...

Like @dadaboomda reported on the last update topic, there is a much higher CPU utilization nowl, constantly freezing the cars on tracks.

i5 4690
    GTX970

CPU-PROCESSES.png
    The FPS in not a problem, i can keep above 80 fps all the time with AI, just the CPU is absurd higher when you put AI on the track.

We need an optimization soon, the vast majority don't have an i7 processor,

My solution for now was gone back to DX9 version.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2017
  8. patchedupdemon

patchedupdemon Registered

Just to play devils advocate,I have a i5 4690k @ stock clocks,and a gtx 1060 6gb,running triples,and I have no problems what so ever.
    My cpu is the same as yours,and I had a gtx 970 before it died and evga replaced it with the 1060,in other games the two gpus performed exactly the same.

So I wonder why you have cpu problems and I don’t,is it dx11 and non 10 series gpus that are the problem

9. ebeninca

ebeninca Registered

Good to now, that's a strong indicator of where the problem is. I updated the gpu drivers yesterday. Maybe this new engine was optimized for the 10 series only, so everyone else is fucked up.

10. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Not everyone, my GTX970 runs RF2 just fine in DX11 and I have a lower CPU to yours.
    Are you positive there's no background processes causing interference? I'm not saying it's not the games fault, just the need to extinguish all possible external alternatives first.

11. Marcel Offermans

Marcel Offermans Registered

Could it be you're running out of memory somehow?

12. stonec

stonec Registered

GTX 1000 is an evolved architecture of GTX 900, the big difference is from 900 to 700, which is why Nvidia is often accused of downgrading 700 series game performance on purpose. But truth is probably that games are optimized for the newer architecture and hence they run better. But either way, the difference should be minimal between 1000 and 900 series, as the arcitechtures are very similar.

13. ebeninca

ebeninca Registered

Well, i'm adding some more screenshots (this time with Resource Monitor) to eliminate all doubt, in fact, if you have a clue of whats happening, i appreciate...

Some more information:
    Car: Nissan GT500 / BTCC NGTC (Steam workshop)
    Track: Paul Ricard DRS (Steam workshop) / Silverstone 2012
    20 AI Drivers (This is causing the problem. No AI, no problem)
    FPS between 80 and 120.

I did a clean rF2 install, deactivated all plugins, uninstalled antivirus, running on SSD, updated to the last NVIDIA drivers.
    Edited player.json: Use Threads: true, Use additional hardware features: false. (G27 wheel, fanatec csp v1).

The only thing i didn't yet is format the SSD.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 31, 2017
  14. ebeninca

ebeninca Registered

Not the case...

upload_2017-12-30_23-30-25.png

15. Fernando Deutsch

Fernando Deutsch Registered

Can you show a GPU-Z screenshot?

16. ebeninca

ebeninca Registered

Attached Files:

17. Flaux

Flaux Registered

Hey everyone. I get full cpu usage with the F1 1988 tracks. All good with Nola or Silverstone or Lime Rock. Seems to be stuff with non rain optimized tracks? Or maybe not DX11 altered in combination with the new lighting system?

18. MarcG

MarcG Registered

@ebeninca
    "Edited player.json: Use Threads: true,"

You shouldn't need to do that, keep at false.

19. patchedupdemon

patchedupdemon Registered

Your hardware should be fine,just ran a race at road Atlanta with 15 ai sunny,and the purple bar was about a 3rd full and green bar about 2/3 full.
    I seem to have quite low cpu usage for some reason.
    Try that track and weather combo with the formula Renault 3.5 on dx11 build and see what you get,medium settings with shadows off.

20. MarcG

MarcG Registered

@ebeninca I just ran a quick 29 AI @ Silverstone GP and here's my stats, as you can see everything perfectly fine.
    Try yours with a Auto Detail FPS to OFF

RF2-Stats.png

Edit: just noticed my avg & min are very low (top right) but it certainly didn't seem like that as it was butter smooth, I'll check that again later for my own sake!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.