We want Track Map Plugin back on DX11

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jefcam, Dec 29, 2017.

1. jefcam

jefcam Registered

In my opinion Track Map Plugin had everything you need while driving. It was also fully customizable in the sense that users could enable/disable features and move things around the screen.

I liked the fuel gauge, the splits and the list of drivers showing timings during qualify and race.

If you loved this plugin write in this thread. Maybe something can be done.

[​IMG]

Louis likes this.
  2. nonamenow

nonamenow Registered

It's been talked to death. We have to wait a while longer.

3. Rui Santos

Rui Santos Registered

Of course we all loved it, no doubt about that, just hoping S397 will bring us something similar :rolleyes:

SteveK likes this.
  4. nonamenow

nonamenow Registered

Seeing how he handed the code to them and considering it's the most popular plugin I'm sure they will.

5. jefcam

jefcam Registered

The author of track map plugin gave the code to studio-397 for review?

6. john gianni

john gianni Registered

+1, really need a better HUD, expecially when learning the track / tuning the setup! Thanks!

7. stonec

stonec Registered

Not from what I know. Plugins and HUDs work with very different principle, so I doubt S397 has much use of it. S397 already added support for things like delta best into the HUD interface, now all it takes for them is to finish the HUD design and release it.

8. RoWo

RoWo Member

juanchioooo likes this.
  9. juanchioooo

juanchioooo Registered

Wotever does a great job but still uses a lot of resources, I have supported their work, but I lose too many fps ..., he has done things to fix it and will continue, but native software, at the moment is better in fps
    I like the simhub, but until my old PC improves, the simhub has to wait, or improve in performance:(:(:(:(

I like it more than the trackmap, for me it is the best, but not in performance,:(:mad::confused:

10. rocketjockeyr6

rocketjockeyr6 Registered

No, he gave it to ISI... years ago. No doubt its in S397's possession, however. ;)

Ive tried it... that overlay is capped at 20fps and theres persistent advertisements(That block your whole bloddy screen!) unless you pay money... complete poo.

I just gotta say Im pretty disappointed in 397 for making dx11 the standard build before theyve even given us a decent hud...

And isnt it just sad that they didnt even listen???

All I have to say is, at least they kept the option for dx9... I will be legitimately upset with them if they force dx11 before they give us something half as good as TM. o_O
    I set up cars for others more than I race for fun... and the data makes the setup process, as well as the demo videos, all the more easier to understand. The current rF hud doesnt even hold up a candle... or even a match for that matter...

Come on 397... get it together.

11. hardtohandle

hardtohandle Registered

+1 Jefcam is talking sense here.
    I really think it would be wise for S397 to take the dx11 issue on themselves if no other option available. Will be childs play compared to porting whole sim to dx11 after all.
    If trackmap gets left behind it's gonna be a significant blow to rf2 that's obvious.
    That's not because trackmap users are stuck in their ways and reluctant to change, it because trackmap is the best thing out there bar none.
    Just saying...

Louis, SteveK and Rui Santos like this.
  12. juanchioooo

juanchioooo Registered

the simhub is better, but for me it consumes too much, so in a medium-sized PC it does not good, a high-end one is no problem
    @hardtohandle you're wrong, that's what I say;):):):):D

13. fsuarez79

fsuarez79 Registered

They already "forced" DX11 by making it the default build and making it clear they won't be supporting DX9 anymore. Now the good thing however is that I don't think this last DX9 build will be removed from Steam Beta's tab, so you will never be actually forced to use DX11.

Shame they've decided to abandon DX9 as I don't care about DX11 but that was bound to happen sooner or later.

14. stonec

stonec Registered

Plugins cause alt-tab crashes and were one reason rF2 got a bad reputation. Interestingly since DX11 came and plugins were banned, all sorts of crash complaints have minimized. All plugins would have to be rewritten anyway for DX11, so it makes little sense to continue with that path. Better to just offer same functionality through standard HUDs that don't cause alt-tab crashes.

Emery and Rui Santos like this.
  15. Lazza

Lazza Registered

@stonec can (not do) cause crashes. Trackmap never used the plugin drawing interface so I'd say the jury is out on that one. I've been running a custom league HUD (utilizing the interface) for a year and had no issues.

However, S397 have a vision, want to use a new HUD system, and when that's in place someone can do new elements to fill trackmap's void if they don't do it themselves. We don't need to regress.

nonamenow likes this.
  16. jefcam

jefcam Registered

I am trying SIMHUB.

Studio397 must not just create a new HUD, but allow full customization. Not every driver needs the same widgets, the same size and the same position.

I would like to have a leaderboard showing real-time gaps and split sectors which just appear with every sector (S1, S2 and S3) showing a + or 1 gap to the best lap or self best. Among other widgets for fuel, damage etc like we had in map plugin.

17. Jon

Jon Registered

Don't forget DashMeterPRO on the Android store. Has worked really well for me, no installation is required except copying a .dll into the pluggins folder. You can buy a cheap holder and place the phone or tablet just next to the screen. I've never used a track map in any racing game, neither arcade or sim. No real driver uses one, certainly not Jim Clark or Nigel Mansell or any of the other greats. When practicing, print out a png of the circuit and mark on it your splits and other notes such as entry and exit speed using a pencil. Besides, the onscreen bar at the bottom left of the screen usually gives a good indication of where other drivers are. Moving to DX11 was a good choice in my opinion, as I believe all computers capable of running rF2 should be DX11 compliant, and without having to use the same shaders then they can work on newer shaders that are optimised for DX11. Hopefully that'll lead to faster and more consistent FPS.

18. Lazza

Lazza Registered

@Jon I know it's called 'trackmap' but from what I've seen very few people using the trackmap plugin actually use it for a track of the map.

*Haha... I meant "map of the track", and I knew it didn't look right, but I couldn't work it out... love posting tired...

Last edited: Dec 31, 2017
    Jon, bwana and ceecee like this.
  19. jefcam

jefcam Registered

This what I used from track map plugin:
    I use GTDIAL from rfactor2 just for postion, laps remaining but mostly the gear number. Also bottom right had my current time.
    Then I used the track map plugin for leaderboard which worked showing timings in practise and qualify, and then turned to real-time gap times in race. I loved it as in straight would check driver ahead and driver behind gap time.

Also loved the splits showing self split and best split. These were great as they showed only on sectors. Also bottom right placed the tyre wear indicator. Lately I also used something for the fuel.

Yesteday and today tried SIMHUB. I can say it is a great replacement for 'Track Map Plugin' Just payed a small donation to work fully. Its also custimizable and can place widgets around the screen. Also widgets can be opened on mobile. I will post some images later on.

[​IMG]

Louis likes this.
  20. jefcam

jefcam Registered

this seems to be the code for widget SIMHUB for SELF SPLIT:
    what do i need to change to have BEST SPLIT?

(isnull([PersistantTrackerPlugin.SessionBestLiveDeltaSeconds],0) >=0?'+ ':'')
    +format(isnull([PersistantTrackerPlugin.SessionBestLiveDeltaSeconds],0) ,'0.000'