[Official] DX9 vs DX11 performance difference

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by 4thworld, May 4, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ari Antero

Ari Antero Registered

It is in same line as RAM in that pick 11533 MB is physical memory and 19349 MB is virtual memory :)

2. Ari Antero

Ari Antero Registered

Game runs smooth with max settings and this is old PC I used few years back in time. My post is meant to help members of this community and point out that game settings must match with PC specifications to be able to play this game.

Eddy and patchedupdemon like this.
  3. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

ok, what is good and what isn't? 90% bus. Is that good that it's near 100%, thus getting full use out of the bus? or is it bad that so much of the bus through-rate is being consumed?

4. Emery

Emery Registered

I disagree because the fps drops/increases for different content will scale pretty consistently. As far as I can recall, the scaling fails only when the GPU doesn't have enough resources for more intensive content or the PCIe bandwidth is limited.

In other words, if you know the current benchmark runs at 25% more fps than you need and the new content combo (track + cars) drops fps by 30%, then you know you're going to need to make an adjustment.

5. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

GT3 have closed cockpits which, I've read, requires quite a-lot more detailing than an open cockpit car like the USF2000. {The windscreen, the glare and reflections ON the windscreen, the banner, the much wider interior with much more texturing to cover things up etc.} And remember too, the USF2000 is a rather simple car to begin with. It would be grand to have all the cars of varying types produce the same results, but to achieve that, you would have to strip away much of the in-car content from the more complex[visually] cars.
    And regarding the GT500 fps vs GT3 from another post, remember to compare the current version of the GT3 with it's LOD changes rather than the original release which, truthfully, was a load for most systems.

6. Eddy

Eddy Registered

I notice the same Ari, the huge ram usage is causing slow downs for me. Only way to resolve it is using less AI.......at least in my case. When i do that the game runs smooth for me.

Ari Antero likes this.
  7. Lgel

Lgel Registered

Sorry, but for me closed cockpits cars should generate less computing load (cockpit is mainly static, except the steering wheel), and show less road and sky, where objects and AI cars are shown, and constantly change to give the illusion of movement and perspective.

As always I can be wrong.

Cheers.

8. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Closed cockpit cars have more detail than open wheelers, Marcel explained it well in that RD stream a few weeks back.

9. Lgel

Lgel Registered

Can have more static detail may be, once drawn need few calculations.
    Please, can you explain me why static details generate more load than dynamic objects?
    I would like a real independent expert to give it's opinion, not a quote of Marcel trying to defend the weaknesses of the GT3 pack.
    Cheers.

SPASKIS likes this.
  10. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Yeah...nah

jayarrbee36 likes this.
  11. stonec

stonec Registered

Cockpit is not that static, because the inside shadows, lighting etc. have to be calculated based on the car's position and movement. Although even within the GT3 pack there is a variance, McLaren outperforms Radical and AMG by about 10-15% in FPS and actually looks better than AMG both from inside and outside.

12. Mulero

Mulero Registered

I'm not an expert but I think that in each frame the whole scene is rendered even though it's static. Cockpit has a large number of polygons, probably more than the rest of the complete car and therefore when using cockpit camera FPS are a bit lower.

Best FPS rate is obtained from the bumper camera since no part of the car is rendered.

13. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

Unless you are in VR those details are completely static and are only affected by lighting. I wish there was an option to have that completely static or refreshed in a lower rate as reflections. That way only half the screen would need to be truly rendered. I made a specific benchmark between cockpit and road view and in some cases there was a huge difference.

Lgel likes this.
  14. MarcG

MarcG Registered

VR or flat screen it doesn't matter, again Marcel explains it well in that RD stream and I've heard similar from other devs over the years long before VR existed.

15. Lgel

Lgel Registered

When you try to optimize moving images, the base concept is to be able to discriminate between parts of your image that are identical from frame to frame to avoid redrawing them, and to avoid recalculating 3D objects if they are out of view.

The body of the car is expensive to redraw that is why you have so many Lods (different level of detail depending on how far the object is) defined for the different parts of it in the gen files.

The cockpit is the less demanding part of your car and serves as a mask to the really dynamic part of your image, the smaller your windscreen and lateral windows, the less dynamic part you have to redraw.

Some movements are very cheap to execute (vibration or movement up and down of a cockpit for instance).

In OW in addition to a lot more of scenery visible (and rain if present), you have the two front wheels to animate, sometimes the suspension and disc brakes.

Cheers.

16. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

It doesn't matter if you do the render every frame. What it is being suggested is to actually reduce the amount of screen to be rendered every frame. Why do you think triple screen is more demanding than single screen?

17. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Eh?! I'm talking about closed cockpit cars being more resource hungry than open wheelers that's all, enjoy your Xmas!

18. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

And we are suggesting not to waste those many resources drawing such a hungry cockpit that is not changing frame to frame. Enjoy Christmas too.

19. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

And I started the argument,
    we can go back to the days of SCGT when the flat dash just sat there. Might as well remove textures decals and paint fake 3d shapes on the fenders, hoods, grill and body panels. plus eliminate details like pedals and brake levers, switches, and use a milky white window pane. The point is, rF2 is limited by the original sin of ISI when they choose a graphic path that relied so heavily upon hardware. S397 is following the path of GPL and producing product that overmatches much of the current hardware but eventually shines when our hardware roadblocks are overcome.
    Even though the firewall and hood/fenders are blocking the view of some of the environment, that detail is still being presented by the track. Just because your closed cockpit car cannot see a bush that would be visible to an open cockpit driver, doesn't mean the guy behind you cannot. So openwheel, while showing more of the track locale, is not more demanding just because you can see more of the track. The closed cockpit car is overlaying the wider cockpit and glass and reflections over the same amount of track detail and the replay cameras are capturing suspension movement so that too is being displayed, even though it cannot be seen by an driver in the cockpit. The rollcages, extra room for switches, tv displays, on and on. Closed cockpit naturally should be a more demanding task for the video systems. And we should also consider the extra size of the car itself. Fenders, floorpans, roof's. There is just more of everything to render.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2017
  20. Pedro Gomes

Pedro Gomes Registered

I had a huge loss of performance when going to DX11, I have updated the drivers and it's much better but still DX9 is smoother and may still be a bit better in FPS.

You can download the DX9 and DX11 FRAPS benchmarks as well as the DX11 perflog that for some reason turns off on it's own, so there's 2 for the same lap. FPS was limited to 144 in the player file.

Track Matsusaka, car URD Darche P1.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1NIgPyHVqUGhVKEPWQ7duIBV5j44GNnUZ/view?usp=sharing

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.