2 Lights for DRS Avaliable + DRS On?

Discussion in 'Car Modding' started by Suzukinol, Dec 24, 2017.

1. Suzukinol

Suzukinol Registered

Hello, I came with another doubt about modding.

I could see that in real life, for example f1 cars like McLaren has a steering wheel that has 2 different lights to indicate the state of DRS. I am going to explain myself: as far as I know, LEDRFS has all included about DRS states: On, Off, Avaliable, etc...

I could see that the mclaren steering wheel is having a left light to indicate that the drs is avaliable and when the driver activates DRS, this light switch off and a right light switch on.

All of this just means that I need 2 drs lights, each one with his own material.

The same happens when I want to have 2 different materials working as only one thing. For example, we have LED Screen + lights in the steering wheel, ok? So... for example, if I want to have an icon in the LED Screen that shows the engine has high temperature but at the same time I also want to switch on a red light that warns the same... How I do that?

Is this possible in rFactor 2?

Greetings.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2017
  2. Coutie

Coutie Moderator Staff Member

Just map the two lights to one texture. so you have two circles in your texture, they will each be mapped to one side. Then you can configure them the way you want.

3. Suzukinol

Suzukinol Registered

Yeah, I thought that but its not an easy way.

Isn't it possible to make 2 materials working as one? I am also interested in making use of the led screen + steering wheel lights to indicate some warnings: blue flag, yellow flag, high temperatures... and thats more complicated to do with 1 single texture.

4. Coutie

Coutie Moderator Staff Member

It's easy, and it's the best way to do it. It's also the only way to do it. The one texture is for the DRS leds(it'll actually be three textures), nothing else.

5. Suzukinol

Suzukinol Registered

Ok... and this way is also for having warnings in led screen + steering wheel lights? Thats a little more complicated to re-mapping.

6. Suzukinol

Suzukinol Registered

Thank you Coutie, I could do the DRS Lights re-mapping the texture.

7. Suzukinol

Suzukinol Registered

Hello again Coutie. I have been thinking of a problem that will surely happen. I want to make different DRS Lights for each steering wheel. In real life, for example, a mclaren has 1 green light + 1 blue light like I already explained. But... for example Mercedes is using 2 green lights into the left.

I can do it like you explained but I am sure it won't load the correct textures when the 2 cars, mclaren and mercedes are loaded at the same time because the material name is called LEDRFS, the same name for both steering wheels and I can't change it in cockpitinfo like RPM Bar (as far as I know).

Is this a rFactor 2 limitation right now or is it fixeable?

Greetings.

8. Lazza

Lazza Registered

I think you can use other characters in front of the LEDRFS, so that each car is unique?

*Sorry, disclaimer: I haven't done any modding of this sort before.

9. Bernd

Bernd Registered

This is an old problem or limitation.
    But you can solve it, if you map all these meshes/materials, from the different cars that use the same material names, to the same texture.
    Use a bigger texture, to have enough space. :)

10. Suzukinol

Suzukinol Registered

Yeah, I will do that. I will create a texture which supports 10 lights, so I won't have problems if I need more than 4 or 5.