[Official] DX9 vs DX11 performance difference

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by 4thworld, May 4, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. demerzel

demerzel Registered

Uhm. I have much lower fps during rain. :/

Amanda Santini likes this.
  2. F1 2004

F1 2004 Registered

Me too but in dry is it better than before.

3. stonec

stonec Registered

Well they added tons of new effects for rain so the result could only have been lower FPS. I will post some benchmarks later.

4. patchedupdemon

patchedupdemon Registered

I was within 7-10 fps if I can remember,that to me is just fine

5. ceecee

ceecee Registered

In reply to your Windows Update problems:
    1. Restart PC
    2. Empty all files you can in C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download
    3. Download and run Windows Update Troubleshooter as Administrator (https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4027322/windows-update-troubleshooter)
    4. Run Windows Update again.

patchedupdemon likes this.
  6. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

This sentence suggested that it wasn't a serious performance problem and considering the big percentage of people affected I consider it a major issue. Today the dx11 mainstream beta has finally arrived. Some users simply cannot benefit from those nice rain effects.

Ari Antero and lagg like this.
  7. Suzukinol

Suzukinol Registered

"I had that problem in the past, but fortunately i could buy a new pc and i don't have this problem nowadays."

Yeah... but we bought a product that worked good in our computers because we tried the demo and was working good. Now, if some people have to update their PC only because DX11 is not properly optimized... then I don't know what to say.

I didn't try the new build yet, I will talk when I try,

dadaboomda and lagg like this.
  8. stonec

stonec Registered

I completed benchmarking for today's build and turns out this is the first build since July that brings performance updates, kudos to that!

I have included my old results and updated ones in below graph. Improvement is 7-10% and for the first time DX11 performance ever so slightly surpasses DX9. With a grid of 20 Radical GT3's at Matsusaka I can now just achieve 60 FPS with shadows on high. Previously max was 54 FPS.

rF2 charts December.png

9. Suzukinol

Suzukinol Registered

Ok.... THANK YOU STUDIO 397, REALLY TRANK YOU, NOW I WENT FROM 60 STABLE FPS TO 20 TOTALLY UNPLAYABLE FPS. NOW I AM RETIRING FROM ALL THE RF2 LEAGUES I WAS RACING BECAUSE MY GAME IS TOTALLY UNPLAYABLE. REALLY THANK YOU FOR MAKING MY GAME GOING FROM 60 FPS ULTRA GRAPHICS TO 20 FPS LOWEST SETTINGS. NO EXCUSES, I CLEARED CBASH AND SHADERS AND MY GRAPHIC CARD IS R9 280 WHICH IS 100% READY TO RUN DX12 GAMES SO ITS RIDICULOUS I AM HAVING THIS PERFOMANCE WITH DX11.

Sorry for caps but I am really angry now because I already uninstalled the game and left the leagues I was drving because I can't drive this.

Amanda Santini likes this.
  10. Mulero

Mulero Registered

No surprise with the new Build. Performance drop compared to the current version of DX9 on my system is 20%. I have returned to DX9 to perform some tests and confirm results. AA is offering very different results in DX9 and DX11, so I have chosen to deactivate it and obtain more reliable results.

dx9 vs dx11.png
    @stonec Could you do the test with the AA deactivated? In DX9 and DX11 it seems to be working very differently. Much more consumption of resources and worse result in DX9.

Performance in rain is pretty bad. Using a configuration with which I get about 90FPS in race with dry track, in water the performance is around 35/40FPS with drops to 25FPS. Unplayable in rain with this performance.

11. patchedupdemon

Turned out I was updating via the settings/update security app and windows was trying to update as well with the windows 10 update helper.
    Two instances were causing the updates not work.
    All good know though,so far,touch wood.
    Thanks for your reply

12. Suzukinol

Suzukinol Registered

Sorry for my last message, I tried some recommended graphic options and reinstalled + updated graphic cards drivers and now it runs better, but... you have to take a serious look into the rain perfomance because as another user already reported, the FPS in rain are about 50% worse than in dry, something that never happened in DX9.

See you.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2017
  13. MarcG

MarcG Registered

From Discord, I think a few people need to understand exactly what DX11 is all about and Marcel explains it here:

Marrs - Today at 11:30
    The point of DX11 is that we can implement better graphics and support VR. Of course if you enable all those features it will put a heavier load on your GPU. In that sense there is nothing magical in DX11 that will make everything faster. I do believe that if you turn down the graphics until they are on par visually with DX9 you will end up with very similar performance. Obviously with millions of different system configurations, we can never be sure in every case.

14. ucfquattroguy

ucfquattroguy Registered

Is it generally agreed upon that GPU loads are the issue? I'm finding the CPU taking a huge hit with DX11 builds. Or, do they go hand in hand?

Could run good sized fields of most mods on DX9 on fairly aggressive graphic settings (i5-750 w/GTX570). DX11 I've got to go way down on the quality and effects and will still be limited to a handful of AI before the CPU starts falling out of real-time in various spots on track.

15. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

We understand that Marc. But without enabling any post processing effects it drops performance which obliges to further reduce graphical settings.

The same example can be applied for rain effects. If perfomance is reduced to half when enabling drops, who is going to use it? Shall we reduce other effects so that we can turn rain effects on? It doesn't make much sense IMO. It is like working on things that only a few can really enjoy.

16. patchedupdemon

They are working on things that will bring the graphics upto 2018 standards,maybe we should also upgrade our hardware to those standards too.
    Everything moves on its life

SPASKIS likes this.
  17. demerzel

demerzel Registered

@Ari Antero Yo is not on standard.

18. patchedupdemon

Get a room

19. dadaboomda

dadaboomda Registered

Stonec... you make a very good job.
    You're the user forum of the year ! :)

20. Suzukinol

Suzukinol Registered

mmm... No. Sorry but I don't agree with this. DX11 is having less perfomance in most of the systems using exactly the same settings as DX9, something that reflects that its not properly optimized. At this momment, I can say that the most important work that should be focused on is to fix the FPS issues with the new rain as using Medium Rain Drops is taking 50 or 60% of the fps compared to dry. I know its not easy for you but I don't want better graphics if they will come with less perfomance, give me better physics and I will enjoy them much more than some rain drops in the body of the car.

And... sorry but I think that a R9 280 graphic card which can run 2014-2016 games on ultra settings is beastly enough to move it at least 60 stable fps, specially when we remember this game was launched in 2012.

Amanda Santini, demerzel and SPASKIS like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.