Manual clutch functionality

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by FuzzyFassbender, Nov 29, 2017.

1. Damian Baldi

Damian Baldi Registered

The Bulk Torque is the amount of adhesion of the clutch. In the case of the Group-c the difference between manual and automatic is the delay. The Bulk Torque could be the same. I already changed it for the next version.

Eddy likes this.
  2. Ari Antero

Ari Antero Registered

I have always been wondering why does all mods with manual gearboxes give benefit when you flat shit and use no clutch at all, shouldn't it be the opposite way ?

3. Lukas Lichten

Lukas Lichten Registered

I am sorry but you are wrong, because the clutch adhesion is defined by a different value, called ClutchTorque:
    Code:
    ClutchTorque=250               // Maximum torque that can be transferred through clutch
    ClutchWear=0.01                // Unimplemented
    ClutchFriction=6.7             // Friction torque of parts between clutch and transmission when in gear (automatically reduced in neutral)
    BaulkTorque=320                // Maximum torque transferred through gears while engaging them

Now with the Group C you are not completely incorrect, as the difference in BaulkTorque is minor between the upgrades, but because the Pedalshifter Upgrade is the default one and not only has higher shift times, but also turns the transmission into a semi-auto (aka throttle and clutch are controlled by the car on shifts, like in modern race cars), means you can not miss gears with it.

4. Damian Baldi

Damian Baldi Registered

Sorry, was a misunderstanding with the meaning of the word I used. What I was trying to say, is that BaulkTorque will work at the moment of engaging the clutch, but it's not responsible for missing gears. The missing of a gear occurs when you try to release the clutch before the delay time.

The original idea with the group-c upgrade opions was to keep a delay even while using pads, but it created a problem with the manual shifting. In previous versions the manual shifting had zero delay, but people used this option when using pad gaining 200ms at every gear change.

Next version will include revised upgrade options.

5. Seven Smiles

Seven Smiles Registered

I contacted the author of the Grinding Tranny mod for rF1 but he says he's probably not going to update it for rF2 anytime soon. He suggested I might pick up his work but for now, inspired by the thread about using AutoHotkey, I have a proof-of-concept script that simply prods the Neutral button for a while whenever a gear is changed, preventing the newly-selected gear working. It should be pretty easy to add code that checks if the clutch is pressed and let the change go through (and play a grinding noise if it doesn't) but I don't think getting the engine revs (via the plugin API) is possible with AHK. (I find the AHK language pretty awful anyway so I'll swap once I have a simple implementation working.)

Another thought I had was to use the FFB rumble effect when there is a failed change, though I'm not certain I can do that while rF2 is controlling the wheel.

6. Seven Smiles

Seven Smiles Registered

7. elbo

elbo Registered

Wow, thanks for your time on this Seven. I followed the instructions, installed autokey, fired up the script, then fired up rf2. mapped neutral to keypad 0. A bad shift results in the sound being played but the gearbox does not drop to neutral so I can keep driving even with the bad shift...the grinding sound is enough of an incentive to reshift though...

8. Seven Smiles

Seven Smiles Registered

What happens if you press Numpad 0? My early testing was tapping away on that key to see if it overrode the gear selection. All the script does is send that key while it's making the noise, if you keep tapping it your gear selection should be overridden to neutral.

I have noticed a couple of issues: the line
    global debug = 1
    should be
    global debug = 0
    (not that it makes a lot of difference, it's just that rF2 was toggling HW plugins because the script was sending G)

The other one I'm still working on - I think I need another state in the recovery from a bad shift so at present it's more difficult than it should be to recover - you have to go back to neutral (no gear, clutch up) before trying to select again.

9. Christopher Snow

Christopher Snow Registered

Just a quick note to offer my encouragement. I can't test any of it myself for a week or more at least, but I'm glad to see you fiddling with it (and sharing it too).

10. elbo

elbo Registered

tapping num0 briefly overrides the gear to Neutral and then back to gear as the gear is still engaged.

11. Seven Smiles

Seven Smiles Registered

No idea. I'll write a simple test script that just forces Neutral.

Meanwhile, there's an update with the two problems fixed. I've been trying to add double-declutching for a real Old Skool driving experience but it's not working yet.

12. elbo

elbo Registered

Works as advertised....simply had to run it as admin.

Well done, been waiting for something like this for a while. So much nicer running the skippy with this.

thanks,

Last edited: Dec 11, 2017
    Pauli Partanen and Seven Smiles like this.
  13. Seven Smiles

Seven Smiles Registered

Ah, that makes sense. It’s good to have a beta tester, even better is a smart beta tester :)

Pauli Partanen likes this.
  14. Pauli Partanen

Pauli Partanen Registered

Interesting project! I will test this too in future for sure

15. Seven Smiles

Seven Smiles Registered

16. TIG_green

TIG_green Registered

There isn't many different names appearing in this thread...the reason is driving old cars with hc clutch model and h-shifter is not that popular compared to modern cars with semi-automatic shifting. Both can be fun but I understand why the clutch model isn't that high on their list. Rev matching is probably something not many know how to do (one of them). It's totally different using clutch in my real car as the sim clutch pedal (T500RS pedals) is numb. Modern stuff sells and is challenging enough. With the limited time I have, I want to race, not to struggle to keep the car on track at every turn.

That said, as rf2 is the best sim, it should definitely get proper clutch model at some point for those who would like to use it.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2017
  17. Filip

Filip Registered

I find these challenging old cars wher you need to work with the wheel engaging and fun.

lbird and jayarrbee36 like this.
  18. Seven Smiles

Seven Smiles Registered

Sure, if you're driving a modern car then modelling the clutch makes little sense but if you want to get closer to the experience of driving one of the older models then an H shifter and a clutch model are important. It's all about simulation :)

mesfigas, zaphman, lbird and 3 others like this.