Released Formula E Energize Pack 2018 - Now Available!!!!

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by Christopher Elliott, Nov 28, 2017.

1. PAL

PAL Registered

Hey, i just want to give my 2 cents. I bought the formule e pack with the car and the track. The car sounds and drives very interesting and i already had very nice hours on the track with the formula e car.
    It really sparked my interest in formula e. Tomorrow is the hongkong gp :)
    I just wondered that the track in game is detailless. i dont care if the windows of the buildings are texture or 3d but if you cant affort a few thounds polys on the tarmac, i can also download a mod track. If you watch the onboards for example there is a deepening on the left side before turn 2. totally flat in the game. please fix this.

I hope u will add different car configurations and all tracks of the 2018 season to the game!
    thank you for your good work on this car and please keep on improving and adding features!

Last edited: Nov 30, 2017
    peterchen likes this.
  2. Nimugp

Nimugp Registered

Since track building costs some time, I hope they go for a 2-in-1 ;) I'm thinking Mexico City. If they do the entire track, the FE track is pretty much allready modelled, except for some barriers and extra chicanes, but overall without to much extra effort compared to 2 seperate tracks, you would have a F1-WEC-FE location. Maybe it's not the best track, but for all series it is a reasonably nice track anyway!

Last edited: Nov 30, 2017
    LokiD likes this.
  3. Ho3n3r

Ho3n3r Registered

Again, it doesn't necessarily have to be licensed. I'm not sure why people keep harping on about that.

4. filippu

filippu Registered

Yup, Automobilista for example has absolutely brilliant unlicensed F1 cars from every decade (bar the 50's).
    On the other hand, S397 is there to rack up money with their WIPs, and DLC's are a tougher sell with unlicensed stuff.

Ho3n3r likes this.
  5. Comante

Comante Registered

If they release NOW a F1 series, not a fictional F1 series like Fisi2012, people will jump at their throat because they will be culprit of having modeled the physics pulling numbers from the hat. They know their chikens after all. :D

6. LokiD

LokiD Registered

we don't want f1 please. theres a million retro and modern disciplines I rather have.

jayarrbee36 and sg333 like this.
  7. lagg

lagg Registered

We? Not me.
    A lot of people want a modern F1.
    The license is not important, for me (and i think it's almost impossible in rF2). For me, the phisics are the important part.

8. ebeninca

ebeninca Registered

Yes we need a Lot of cars, rally Cross, rally cars, super kart, historic, New..

But, what is the purpose of have a Lot of content If You dont have where to Race against other people?

Offline? Come on...

The competition infraestruture is way more important now.

That is why i'm not gonna buy formula e.

9. dadaboomda

dadaboomda Registered

What interests me is that the physics result from real data of the real life.

Except this assumes a close link with a stable. And surely a license.

As to whether it is possible or not, frankly I do not believe it too much. Because the data of F1 are much too sensitive. And the cost for S397 ... seems too important.

In short: yes if real data in the physics of the car, but no it will never happen! Let's go back ... :)

10. Skan

Skan Registered

Other than the fixed setups (I was looking forward to doing a wheelie for an extended period of time or spinning a donut at 1 RPM, yes 1) I have nothing less than good things to say of these vehicles. I do not follow them in real life so I do not yet know the differences. That lack of knowledge has not kept me from having fun.

The Hong Kong track is awesome. The details distracted me as I was trying to learn the track. They still are and that is a good thing.

Electric side topic: Years ago we here in rF2 had a little 1:10 scale electric Formula car. It was replaced with the 1:5 scale gas formula car. Can the person that ran off with the tiny electric vehicle please return it?

Joining in the trending off topic of other series, genres, whatever the term is: Be it modern F1, Pinewood Derby, Darda Demons, Penny Racers, Forklifts, the pedal car someone else mentioned with the brake and gas as the pedals, awesome Spaceships from Rogue System, cardboard on a dried grass hill, that new Apollo car that I wish was in my driveway or anything else that has forward, brakes, reverse and steering.... I'll give it some practice and try to race it eventually.

Daniele Vidimari likes this.
  11. burgesjl

burgesjl Registered

First, I want to say "well done" to S397 for their release of F-E and their relationship with the series. This is a very different form of racing; and one where there is a very large strategy element to it not often found in other series. So to be involved in all that at such a relatively early stage, and to have it pretty much exclusively, is a platform they can use to grow on.

That said, only one track available and it being so expensive is a mistake. This series doesn't work well on 'regular' tracks, it needs these custom street tracks. So I hope they have the commitment from the track builder to continue making more. They don't necessarily need all 11 (one got dropped? so maybe 10) for a full season, but they probably need at least 5 or 6. They seem to have access to CAD models for these tracks which should help. But also, to really capitalize, it needs the competition infrastructure; racing the AI in these is not going to be especially good because of the strategy elements which are difficult to replicate. F-E isn't for me and I probably won't buy the DLC, but its a good start even if once again it appears incomplete; they've got some time to add to it over this year.

There are also coming up a few E-GT racing series, so they can get into the ground floor of those also.

I hope they have enough resources to do this justice; tracks, continued (physics) evolution of the cars, etc. alongside that content they have already started like GT3, Zandvoort, Radical, Tatuus open-wheelers etc. No doubt F-E should be given some priority but I do get the feeling they are being somewhat reactive to opportunities and scrambling like mad to get stuff released for a timetable, not quite hitting it so far. Meanwhile there are still big developments like UI, competition infrastructure, and even fixing the myriad bugs and DX11 performance in the base code. It's a lot to take on.

ISI's last big effort was in providing oval racing, which is in fact an opportunity given that iRacing+Heat are the only real competition. A lot of the work on tire contact patch etc. was done for this; but without proper licensing, and reliant on 3PA tracks, it was always going to be a struggle. I'd say that is also true of all other non-licensed series. Just for fun, I went back over my old rF1 install to see what content was provided; pretty much all fantasy stuff except for Sauber BMW F1 and Panoz. A few iffy open wheelers (except F3) and awful touring/GT cars. There's a much better selection in rF2, much of it based on licenses (Nissan/Renault, Chevy, Indy/BTCC etc.) and models of real vehicles. But the weakest in my opinion (probably not shared) is the fantasy historic cars and fake ones (and that includes the aforementioned oval cars) both in terms of physical models and the physics. So I don't agree with those who say, produce a more modern F1-like car, or LMP1-like hybrid cars, or similar. My recommendation is that S397 continue on the path they are on, finding a good combination of unique content like F-E alongside obviously popular content like GT3 (single class, multi-make) so that the whole platform and community can get (re)established, especially for online. I think there is a gap of LMP2 cars, and that could showcase the capability for fully dynamic day/night and weather in a multi-class scenario. A more considered choice of cars is needed, not simply 'anything we can get'. There's also a need for a number of core tracks, made to the same standards as Silverstone/Indy; maybe Monza, Spa, Barcelona, Brands Hatch which would provide a backbone for any number of series like F4, GT3, WEC/ELMS etc. because without these they are at serious deficit to their competition. And frankly, we probably need all this within a year.

12. Ho3n3r

Ho3n3r Registered

Speak for yourself. It's the only genre I play. I know many others in the leagues I race in, that would appreciate it.

13. Ho3n3r

Ho3n3r Registered

Reiza has done a brilliant job to make fake F1 cars. I don't see why S397 can't do the same.

Besides, ISI got a licensed 2012 Marussia into the game, surely they could try and do the same with Sauber now, or perhaps even McLaren, given their close affiliation with eSports lately.

14. dadaboomda

dadaboomda Registered

What I said before seems to be a good compromise

"A first "step" very desirable would be that the two F1 of the game made by ISI are updated with all the latest physics technologies (with the creation of new tires). But all ISI / S397 content is concerned."

15. PAL

PAL Registered

If you are not interested in formula e, okay
    if you want to talk about what you want and how much you like F1 or not, okay
    But not here please, here is the place for Formula E discussions.
    Years on this forum and thousands of post, but still a noob has to tell you...

Back to topic:
    The round times seem to be a bit faster on the sim side, or what do you think?. Last year the best time was a 1.02.350 in training by j. vergne. I already saw very good, if not the best sim racers, to achieve flat 1.01s. maybe this is due to small track changes, as its no permanent track. In the end i could live with that difference.
    Has the developer made a statement already that all or more tracks are coming?
    EDIT: I found out that the dev made every! track on the calender with their LiDAR scanning method for rfPRO. Those versions are used by the teams in formula e.
    So basicly they "just" have to reduce the poly amount and release it for us :)

Last edited: Dec 1, 2017
  16. Comante

Comante Registered

Unfortunately RFPRO and STUDIO397 are different firms, it's not granted they can/will share the point cloud data.
    About the lap difference, there is a lot that can influence : last year cars maybe different from this year, track layout could be slightly different, just like grip, add that virtual players could do 100 laps, crash 10 times, real pilots can't do that.

17. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

In Marcel's interview about Fe, he states the track this year has a tighter chicane or corner that was not changed til after the track was designed for rF2. This might slightly increase real world times vs sim times, but I think you will RARELY find real world times that cannot be bettered by simmers.

18. Michael Borda

Michael Borda Car Team

The series is not closed to improvements, they gain inverter efficiency, motor efficiency, and transmission efficiency year on year (also the rear suspension layout is more open now). So the '2018' cars we have are more efficient than the '2017' season. And more efficient, particularly in this series, is faster (admittedly, more so in race trim). It's difficult to say with certainty, but the new chicane is about 0.6s slower than the previous year, and we were only made aware of that change the day before locking down our assets for release. It was just impossible to do anything in that short time frame.
    As for team differences. It's very difficult to incorporate anything BEFORE the first race was even run. Even testing was done on a circuit quite different to anything they run on in the series. They were also all very busy with their pre-season testing regimes. The only thing we could have realistically done at this point was to split them into 1 and 2-speed transmission teams. But even that requires re-optimizing the motor to deal with the different requirements. So we went with what we had the best data for. Realistically, we also felt people were also going to prefer the 2-speed transmission anyway. While each drivetrain is unique, they are slowly converging. You used to see 1, 2, 3, 4 speed transmissions. Now they're basically down to a single speed transmission, bar Venturi and DS Virgin who run a 2-speed. A motor optimized for a 1-speed will be different to one optimized for a 2-speed transmission. But within those 2 philosophies, their designs/specifications are more similar to what we've previously seen. Despite that, we would still like to incorporate those subtle differences, but we still need more time to collect data, and relate this to what we see on track, when they're actually racing. That final verification step is very important, and impossible to do without them having run a single race, now we've had that, we'll be analyzing what we can and make our decisions based on that.

Gonzo, Dookie, ede78 and 18 others like this.
  19. marmagas

marmagas Registered

PAL, gabrielof, pkelly and 2 others like this.
  20. Pauli Partanen

Pauli Partanen Registered

+1

gabrielof likes this.