Released NEW! GT3 Pack - Now Available!

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by Christopher Elliott, Oct 17, 2017.

1. LokiD

LokiD Registered

calibrate your wheel? That's the same ol same ol answer people give on these forums eh

2. Christos Segkounas

Christos Segkounas Registered

Equally I have to wonder why I can't feel a change in steering weight whenever I go to extremes lowering my tire pressures in RF2 now that you mentioned it.
    I got reminded of that fact when I recently bought AMS on discount just for participating in a series with friends.
    Having been "trained" in RF2 physics the first thing I did jumping into my new car was to lower the tire pressures.
    I was shocked at how heavy the steering felt after that.
    That may or may not have been exaggerated by the sim mechanics but it was there at least.
    In RF2 I have never got it unless it's so subtle you can barely feel the difference.

SPASKIS likes this.
  3. Emery

Emery Registered

Depends on the tires & car. For instance, the GT3 Power Pack are all at minimum pressures, so... Anyways, I can definitely feel lower tire pressures with the later year Howstons.

4. KILL BILL

KILL BILL Registered

Try to raise the tire pressure to the maximum :)
    My steering wheel immediately senses a change in the contact patch.

5. patchedupdemon

patchedupdemon Registered

Max pressures for me on the Calloway give very sharp reaction to turn in,lowest pressure is way more relaxed,less sensitive,haven’t driven the other cars enough to see if they react the same.
    I don’t think I’ve noticed a huge change in ffb forces in iracing or rf2 when changing extremes of camber,all I notice is the difference in turn in and mid corner grip,maybe I’m to numb and dumb to feel it

6. LokiD

LokiD Registered

Sorry is it right that it installs two version of the same car in this pack. 1.16 and 1.17?

7. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

Yes. It is the way to go.
    The higher version is just for skins.

LokiD likes this.
  8. LokiD

LokiD Registered

thanks also, not sure its prbs as real life, but the merc you have to sit really on top of the wheel to see the right mirror. Because of the right head protection panel. Could the seat be moved back graphically?

But ive just tried the merc and I love how it handles. The ffb isn't as floppy as the ISI Camaro or vette gt... oohhh It does feel like a rf2 car vo, with an improved tyre! and visually up there with pc2 or AC cockpits.!

Last edited: Nov 24, 2017
    Nimugp likes this.
  9. Nimugp

Nimugp Registered

I was wondering the same, I don't know if it is how it's supposed to be, but I absolutely hate that bit of the seat blocking almost all your view to the sides.

10. LokiD

LokiD Registered

Must admit the merc is lighter in mid corner with ffb, feels a bit too like the original ISI cars. Theres no feedback hardly at all in a fast corner.

11. Christos Segkounas

The feedback for me is that same, whether it's a fast or slow corner.
    We run a race at the Ring last night and Schwdenkreuz, the long fast left hander, is a nice place to get an idea of the high speed feedback.
    Of course the downforce will make the steering feel beefier but once the rear reaches the limit and the car wants to start rotating you get the same warning of lightness in the steering.

What do you guys think of the tires?
    Jury is still out on them for me.
    There's a slight increase in grip with every compound that is softer.
    Seeing as the grip of tires doesn't really drop off significantly until at the very end of their life, their performance relative to each other depends solely on temperatures.
    The question is if one can maintain optimal temps with the softest compound to enjoy the grip advantage, and if trying to do so requires to smooth out the driving so much that you end up losing time instead vs the harder compounds on which you can push harder-not talking about low fuel runs but race pace of course.
    This has been quite a riddle and in absence of enough testing time available I still haven't got anything solid.

12. Ricardo

Ricardo Registered

I noticed that the various compounds have different grip coefficients that manifest in the form of slip angle. With me driving the Callaway, for example, the softest compound has little to no drift when I'm driving to the limit, the slip angle is very small. In a fast turn, the car can be guided precisely with a balance of throttle, brake, and steering inputs. However, it takes me a while to find a set up that allows me this ability for I must accomplish two tasks. One, get the tires up to temperature. Two, don't overheat them. FFB and sound, when the tires are at optimal temperatures, help me figure out how to drive the car as fast as I can. Once I overheat them, however, the tires get "greasy" and it is readily palpable via the much lighter FFB and wandering steering wheel that does not seem to do much to guide the car. The slip angle seems to become gigantic. I find that I can drive the soft compounds like there's no tomorrow up until I make a mistake. They do not forgive me.

The medium compound is a good compromise. It is predictable and the drift/slip angle is very manageable. My driving style changes a bit with these tires. I have to be a bit smoother with the throttle and steering inputs. The brake pressure must be dropped substantially in order to avoid lock ups. I do find that these tires recover quicker from overheating than the softer compounds.

The hard compound tires I have not experimented with too much. I would rather not opine. I break these free very easily. So far, they've done nothing but frustrate me.

The rain compound works well. Where the soft compound tires find no grip the rain tires do. Once there's a racing line on the wet track it is possible to push quite a bit. For obvious reasons, these break free a bit more suddenly than the others but counter steering can save you from a spin.

13. bobbie424242

bobbie424242 Registered

What driving aids do you use with the GT3 cars if any ? TC ? ABS ? At which setting ? I've been using low for both but what is supposed to be the most realistic ?

14. yippssy

yippssy Registered

Please ABS onboard, TC onboard, mapping onboard.
    That's suppose to be a video game of simulation.
    Unbeliebable for a 15€ mod not include these systems.
    Great effort with FFB and driving inmersion.

Thanks! but please S397 include in mod the car's systems! almost systems for race.

15. ceecee

ceecee Registered

GT3 cars also have traction control, ABS and built in air jacks for quick pit stops
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Group_GT3
    Low TC and ABS settings should be fine, driving without any aids on is fun though !

16. Ricardo

Ricardo Registered

I drive with no aids.

17. dadaboomda

dadaboomda Registered

I drive without ABS or TC for all cars (personal choice) :

GT3 are excellent like that and really quite "easy" to drive.

On the other hand if I wanted to have the ABS or the TC when the IRL car has it, I'm not at all sure that I would activate it anyway :
    I do not have the impression that the algorithms of the ABS and TC in the game are realistic enough ... but this is pure speculation, no one except S397 can really know it.

Anyway, the GT3 without these aids are really fantastic, and really "easy" (for me), which strongly reduces the interest of using these aids (just my opinion).

18. Ricardo

Ricardo Registered

I don't use aids and I haven't. I don't know what their effects are in the game. I derive fun from trying to find the limit and trying to consistently operate the car there.

I do know that ABS and TC have saved my life in real life a bunch of times... but anyways...

19. Christos Segkounas

I only got a car with ABS back in 2000 for the first time and have been on the road since 92.
    What saved drivers till then was a sensitive foot, and it has actually done it for me at least a couple of times.
    We don't use driver aids in our league but I did take the time to visit Silverstone during the WFG event and the opportunity to put TC and ABS to the test.
    I expected an underwhelming experience but it was the opposite.
    With these aids I was pushing much harder and was on the knife's edge all around the track.
    It was still a sensational experience.
    Even so, not using TC and ABS makes for a much bigger gap between your performance and the absolute limit which increases the gap between drivers of different skill levels.
    Especially for us folks with cheap pedals because finding the limit on the brakes is quite the challenge o_O
    If I had to choose between TC and ABS then I'm sure the latter would make the biggest difference, TC I can easily live without.

bobbie424242, marmagas and Emery like this.
  20. UsedMomo

UsedMomo Registered

In real life the TC and ABS systems on these cars usually have 6-12 levels. That should be implemented in the game. The TC "High" setting cuts too much power; the other two leave too much spin.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2017