Lock to horizon function for VR?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Lewi6, May 7, 2017.

1. gorzasty

gorzasty Registered

+1! We need better lock on horizon option with VR, please.

2. Flaux

Flaux Registered

I'm not even using VR but would love to have the option ingame. :rolleyes:

3. gorzasty

gorzasty Registered

If You don't use VR use RealHeadMotion plugin then. Will do the job.

4. RaceNut

RaceNut Registered

Real-Head-Motion works really well for me in AC. I can't stand the Lock-To-Horizon feature in AC; it's fine for flat tracks but, on those with steep inclines, it's awful IMO.

DaveS78 likes this.
  5. Lewi6

Lewi6 Registered

Do you mean you use RHM with or without VR?

6. RaceNut

RaceNut Registered

In AC, it works with VR.

7. Ernie

Ernie Registered

Agree.

But what about better support in rF2?
    @Studio397: Is there something on the table to improve the VR experience with a lock to horizon feature / better headmotion? I can easily drive 2 hours in AC with my Rift, but 10-15min in rF2 feels quite uncomfortable to me.
    Or does someone have some recommended settings in PLR-file to minimize possible motion sickness with rF2?

RaceNut likes this.
  8. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Does the realheadmotion plugin not do anything at all in VR?

9. Ernie

Ernie Registered

No. The plugin doesn't work in rF2.

10. RaceNut

RaceNut Registered

I'm not certain but, IIRC - the AC version of RHM was altered to work in VR so I have PM'd Sebastien to see if he can shed some light on the subject of doing something similar in rF2.

11. Slamfunk3

Slamfunk3 Registered

How do you know it doesn't work? Honest question, not trying to talk trash. I've used the RHM plugin for my triple setup since it originally came out and i love it. I had a chance to try VR for about 3 hours about a month ago. Didn't mess with anything on my install other then changing the configuration setup to VR. Neither me nor my friend (his Vive, not a sim racer) noticed any unusual shaking. I even made sure to bring it up to him as I didn't know what to expect and read complaints on here prior to trying it. So just an honest question, how can you guys tell that it's not working? I'd love to have a chance to mess around with VR some more. I think changing the pitch setting inside the RHM configuration file would be a quick way to see if it has any effect.
    TK

12. Lazza

Lazza Registered

I'm just asking because reading about this made me curious, so I tried a complete static horizon lock using head movement controls (up, down, roll left, roll right) which actually isn't as straightforward as I expected to get near-perfect results from, and then some damping of movement to keep the view steady but still aligned with the car. I don't have VR so I don't know whether something about it stops those controls from working, nor do I know how RHM does it. (my headtilt plugin does it that way, but I don't know if that works in VR either)

Do the 'look up', 'look down' etc controls still work in vr? I know you wouldn't want to use them, but are they functional?

13. EricW

EricW Registered

Why would the look up or down buttons work, at least you'd never notice, in VR you simply turn your head in al directions XYZ in real time.
    The biggest problem is how the camera that is attached to VR is reacting to physical movements of the car.
    In real life you also have to deal with vibrations and bumps, but there you are physically connected.
    Because of that your vision can somehow anticipate, in VR you can't....
    Other thing, in RF2 the internals of the car seem to remain completely stable in reference to the head, and the outside world jumps around like crazy.
    Needless to say that does not improve graphic performance, especially in VR.
    When the complete scene and other cars in your view have to be rendered while shifting meters in a millisecond...
    In real life, neck and eyes work like a stabilizer to keep focus on the track.
    This should be simulated for us, and preferably with the addition of some fine tune slider settings.
    It somehow worries me when I read the latest roadmap report.
    Quote:
    As we said in a previous update, we feel our DX11 version is stable by now, so it is our intention to make it the default at our next major code update. That update will include some of the rain and lighting improvements we have previewed at SimExpo, which you can also definitely expect before the end of this year. There are three reasons for the delay here. First of all, we were getting some feedback at the SimExpo that we wanted to improve on. Secondly, some of these changes will also require us to do content updates, and finally, we are working on an improved HUD that contains some of the information that drivers were missing and were installing third party plugins for. As explained above, a completely new HUD system is something we are still working on, and you can expect that sometime next year.

Imho it is far from stable, and in VR the basic effects like smoke and dirt look pretty bad already, let alone how the performance of the additional effects will look.
    I really hope I will be surprised some day.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2017
  14. Lazza

Lazza Registered

You should read my question again. But I sense a dislike for a plugin stopgap solution anyway.

15. Alejandro1

Alejandro1 Registered

Thank you for the suggestion. I would love a stopgap solution.
    Even in 2D we need it as someone mentioned a few posts back.

16. Cercata

Cercata Registered

What is "lock on horizon" ?

Besides Accesibility options for VR, a Simulator like this one should simulate the abosrtion that the seat and your body do from vibration, and apply the correct one to the camera.

17. Lewi6

Lewi6 Registered

You are correct that a simulator should simulate the vibrations of the seat and apply it to the camera, however, whilst in VR your seat does not move with the vibration you are seeing through the VR headset thus inducing nausea in most people.

With the camera locked to the horizon, you get a smoother, less vibrating view whilst the car still vibrates around you, thus reducing motion sickness.

Jego and Ernie like this.
  18. Ernie

Ernie Registered

Tried it yesterday again. Switched off any head movements in control menu. Horizon was bumping, while the cockpit looked completely fixed in VR.
    5min later ..... Test with monitor and same settings. And it was clearly visible, that the RHM-plugin was working.

I hope, this needed feature is somewhere on the development table.

Slamfunk3 likes this.
  19. MarcG

MarcG Registered

It is, Marcel said they're working on it during the live RD Stream last night.

20. Keneano

Keneano Registered

+1 for locking camera to horizon it's a must for VR in my eyes