Enable trees in the mirror

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Transyt, Nov 14, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Transyt

Transyt Registered

Graphics of RF2 has been improved to a very desired level now. But there is still something to improve. For example view in the mirror. I noticed that in some of the mod tracks you can see trees in the mirror, while most of the original ones don't. So I'm guessing whether you can see trees in the mirror is not depending on graphics enginen, or LOD options, but track mod design. So my question is that is there's a way to turn trees on in the mirror for all tracks? Driving in Monza is a pain in the ass when I look in the mirror and find nothing but road and sky. And that suddenly extinguish my driving desire. Please help. BTW, is turn opponents' shadow on in mirror also feasible?

2. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Mirror culling is used to help balance performance, at least in theory. You can override it by setting this option to false in your player.JSON:

"Rearview Cull":true,
    "Rearview Cull#":"Whether to cull objects in the rearview based on visgroups in the SCN file",

3. Transyt

Transyt Registered

Thank you! I'll give it a try once I'm home.

4. Transyt

Transyt Registered

Yeah, that
    Yeah! That brings trees back. Thank you very much! However, Mirror view in some tracks seem fade away too fast. What can I do to have a farther rear view?

5. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Change this to a large value:

"Rearview_Back_Clip":0,
    "Rearview_Back_Clip#":"Back plane distance for mirror (0.0 = use default for scene)",

It's in metres. 4000 or so should cover most situations, if you want everything.

6. Skan

Skan Registered

Anytime there is video playing, that is another animated scene, frames or some form of video. That might sound obvious but to some it isn't. Based on that, each mirror is now another animated scene, frames or some form of video. By turning the cull off, you are now effectively letting each mirror receive and play each video at a huge data stream only to be compounded by higher graphic settings. This can wreak havok on some hardware. I am not suggesting you don't have the muscle for it. I am pointing out that this is a sure fire way to make something go wrong if you or others reading this don't. This is not at you directly but information for all.

SPASKIS and stonec like this.
  7. Transyt

Transyt Registered

Is it also in player.json? Thanks!

8. Coutie

Coutie Moderator Staff Member

Visgroups are set for a reason, this will impact performance a lot. Just FYI.

dadaboomda likes this.
  9. ECAR_Tracks

ECAR_Tracks Registered

It's totally up the track creator. There's a visgroup for hide things in mirror. If the tree is set as visgroup "F" (32) it will never be shown in the mirror whatever you do.

Edit > I was unaware of JSON thing, thanks Lazza. But unclipping everything in mirror probably will destroy your cpu performance

10. Transyt

Transyt Registered

Well, I tested monza and paul ricard, and find there's little FPS impact when I enable everything in rearview. Nevertheless, how can I edit visgroup in case some track destroy my CPU?

11. Coutie

Coutie Moderator Staff Member

You can't.

12. Transyt

Transyt Registered

Alright. But I wonder why rearview is so much better in Assetto corsa, and that sim doesn't blow your hardware. Maybe studio 397 should add rearview option ingame so that you don't screw things up.

13. Skan

Skan Registered

@Transyt... That answer is simple

In rF2, you are allowed to drive freely around most areas. This means the track makers cannot cull every back facing poly or use any other ways to remove "unseen" data. There is potentially nothing that is unseen as you can look and drive in a lot of places, even if an area is hidden or not intended for driving. In other titles you are forced to only see the track and things around the track from one angle or 2 if there is a reverse track, thus making it easier to display.

14. Transyt

Transyt Registered

So this is actually GTA: RF2:D

15. Lazza

Lazza Registered

As you found, yes, also in player.JSON. (for future reference, in case anyone finds this thread)

I did hint at the start that this is done for performance reasons, though I'd have to say that in many cases just enabling the mirrors has more of an impact than disabling culling or extending the back clip distance. Of course there are always exceptions, and it's important to bear these changes in mind if a particular track (or track section) is causing major performance issues. From a dev point of view as well, although the game allows you to do this, it's frustrating if they later try to track down a low FPS issue only to find that 'obscure' settings like these are non-standard. So take care, and if you have any issues you can't solve make sure you backup and delete your config files (controller, player, etc) so the game can create new ones and you're testing in the proper conditions.

But the world isn't going to end by trying these (no, really - I bet half of you haven't even tried it :p). And @Coutie , your advice may be sound, but with no mention of 'visgroups' in the thread already your answer wasn't exactly enlightening. Hence the confusion.

16. Transyt

Transyt Registered

Changed the rearview visible distance to 2000m, and it all goes well. Now driving in Monza and other vegetation densed circuits are finally pleasing now! And it doesn’t impact FPS too much. Thanks again!

Emery likes this.
  17. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

Vis groups are defined when creating the track. You would need to repack the component and create a private version that you will not be able to use online if the server is using the official version.

Implementing visgroups is quite straight forward. It is done with notepad. The only issue might be identifying object names. You xan use GJed for this.

With 3d simed is very easy to do since you can assign the property massively.