Open Beta: Simple Way to Clear 'Shaders' and 'Cbash'

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by Christopher Elliott, May 5, 2017.

1. Christopher Elliott

Christopher Elliott Registered

Clearing your 'Shaders' and 'Cbash' can be useful while testing the open beta if you are experiencing issues. Note: Under normal circumstances these files should never have to be deleted - this concerns testing the open beta.

Manually:
    You can do this by going in to the following folders:
    1. C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\rFactor 2\UserData\Log\Shaders
    2. C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\rFactor 2\UserData\Log\cbash
    Remove and delete the contents of both folders. Make sure to leave the actual folders and only erase the contents.

Use a batch file:

Here's a simpler way to clear shaders and cbash with just a click (instead of having to go in and manually erase them)
    1. Create an empty .txt file on your desktop and name it ClearShadersCbash.txt
    2. Paste in the following code
      Code:
      del /F /Q "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\rFactor 2\UserData\Log\Shaders\*.*"
      del /F /Q "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\rFactor 2\UserData\Log\CBash\*.*"

3. Save
    4. Rename the file:
      ClearShadersCbash.bat
    Now all you need to do is click on that file anytime you want to clear your shaders and cbash.

Note: Edit the above file paths if you have not installed Steam in the default location, so it points to your install
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    And for ModDev: Make another file ClearShadersCbashModDev.bat
    Code:
    del /F /Q "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\rFactor 2\ModDev\UserData\Log\Shaders\*.*"
    del /F /Q "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\rFactor 2\ModDev\UserData\Log\CBash\*.*"

Last edited: May 6, 2017
    DanRZ, Travis, M D Gourley and 6 others like this.
  2. Ozzy

Ozzy Registered

You can just delete the folders. ;)

3. 64r

64r Registered

Hi Christopher, did you see my post about the possibility of the installer doing this as part of the install process of each new build?

4. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Found in the end prior to this post
    Did it

Think I'll do it if I ever update gpu driver also ?
    If so maybe should have a button on launcher "reset shaders ...only do this if experiencing problems or updating gpu drivers "

Big thanks

Wanderer, 2ndLastJedi and Louis like this.
  5. mrsmr2

mrsmr2 Registered

Re the script - do you really need to delete the folder contents twice?

And the second one is missing a '\'

6. Christopher Elliott

fixed, thanks

davehenrie likes this.
  7. Alex72

Alex72 Registered

To a noob why are those lines done twice? Deleting the content of both folders twice. Is it some kind of "making sure" it all gets deleted? Also, thanks Christopher. :)

8. Christopher Elliott

Because nothing, posting at 12:30am after a long day lol, I've edited the top post.

SPASKIS, JimmyT, Uff and 1 other person like this.
  9. Alex72

Alex72 Registered

Haha ok. :D Thanks.

10. Mydriaz

Mydriaz Registered

Cool, thank you.

11. JimmyT

JimmyT Registered

Thanks Christopher.

12. Thepharcyde

Thepharcyde Registered

I have never cleared either since migrating to the DX11 beta, should I have done; how would I know if anything was amiss?

13. toebee

toebee Registered

They can cause all sorts of issues like low fps, studdering, and crashing. It doesn't hurt anything to clear them. It will just take longer to load cars/tracks the first time as it rebuilds the files.

14. AMillward

AMillward Registered

Might have to try this. I've never had any issues in RF2 until last night when the CPU bar kept throttling. I get CPU throttling on ovals, which is fine as I don't do ovals that often and regularly run full V8 Supercar, F1 an 30+GT grids on tracks like Bathurst so I've not idea what's going on.

I know this is all graphics related but it's a start. Maybe RF2 is trying to do too much.

15. dadaboomda

dadaboomda Registered

S397 works to optimize the shadows (performance) and try to improve the shadows quality. Good news because shadows are actually the worst setting for performance.

Better to increase settings non linked to the rf2 graphics engine (resolution, AA etc.) and to decrease settings from the rf2 graphics engine like shadows.

16. AMillward

AMillward Registered

I typically run shadows on low or off anyway. But this CPU throttling only started last night. I have been running a lot of new tracks and changing the settings a lot so maybe I've overloaded something.

Or I can hand it all off to my 1050ti like I do in Falcon BMS.

17. WiZPER

WiZPER Registered

If "a lot of new tracks", includes horribly optimized conversions, then here you have the problem. Track detail settings have NO effect, if the track objects are not grouped for it. And if the track object LODs are all set to 10km, same...

18. dadaboomda

dadaboomda Registered

Check that the "acceleration time" is set to max X5. I recommand X1 : it strongly impact low/medium CPU.

It is perhaps a computer issue (windows or hardware with throtteling).

19. AMillward

AMillward Registered

I'm currently at work, so I'll have to check all this when I get home. I just found it odd that suddenly every car and every track I did had the same issue and had no problems whatsoever until last night. It COULD be the Red Bull Ring as that's very resource intensive doing it. But I ran V8 Supercars at Silverstone, Symmons Plains and Snetterton (three tracks and mod that have always worked flawlessly) and still got the same problem. When I get home I'll delete the shaders and see what happens. There's nothing in the background throttling the CPU. Odd.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2017
  20. stonec

stonec Registered

CPU bar (Ctrl+C) problems won't get fixed by changing graphic settings, it's mostly because of physics and AI and how certain tracks have collision meshes set. If the CPU bar gets close to 100% on all tracks and mods, it means the CPU is not working properly and it's throttling down for whatever reason (could be a cooling issue if you run with a laptop).