Windows 10 Fall Creator's Update...no difference

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by davehenrie, Oct 22, 2017.

1. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

ONe of the first mentions I saw, from a link in these forums, claimed 10 to 20% improvement in gaming after updating Win 10 to the Fall update. I spent about 5 or 6 hours dloading and installing but my first tests show exactly the same performance.[which is what I would have expected. An OS exists to launch a program then slink away.] Are there any special procedures to enter 'Game' mode or something? So far, just some VERY nice hi rez loading screens is the only difference that I've seen.

2. ceecee

ceecee Registered

3. Zeh Drei Peo

Zeh Drei Peo Registered

I tested the creators update yesterday. No big diffrences so far for rf2. You can enable the gaming mode under settings/gaming etc. But there was written that windows also is able to enable the gaming mode automatically. Im going to test it with pc2 today.

4. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Posting this purely to remind myself later (!) but i'll do a VR benchmark comparison soon, before & after the Fall Update to see if there's any difference.

Zeh Drei Peo and WiZPER like this.
  5. bobbie424242

bobbie424242 Registered

That 10% - 20% performance claim is not true.

6. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

Well, I'm supposed to be able to enable a Game Bar by pressing the Windows key and the letter G. But nothing changes. Then there is a section that checks if a game is compatible with the win10 gaming bar and wants to MOVE the game to a dedicated gaming folder. I've found moving already installed games rarely ends well.

7. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Unfortunately the Fall Update has rendered RF2 unplayable due to an issue I believe with SteamVR, I tried everything yesterday to get it running but alas could not. I've spoken to 3 others who have also run into problems so at least I'm not alone, I'll await updates to various software and see if that helps, as it stands RF2 is the only game affected for me.

8. WiZPER

WiZPER Registered

Yikes! I'll stay clear of that "update" then :confused:

9. Travis

Travis Registered

The update killed the AA in Reiza's AMS too. I wonder how many other games/programs have issues with the latest Windows update.

10. MarcG

MarcG Registered

That's the annoying thing, every other SteamVR app runs just fine for me, if it was a more widespread problem then it'd be OK as there would be more chance of an imminent fix. But as it's just one game is worrying, there's a small chance it could be nVidia drivers or the Fall Update at fault so hence why I'll await various software updates and see but I'm convinced it's SteamVR as I've had similar issues with that program in the past.

11. Magus

Magus Registered

@MarcG I'm running W10 v1709 and have no issues with rF2 in VR running Steam VR Beta, & Nvidia drivers 387.92.
    I admit there is no performance increases with the latest update but rF2 loads and runs fine. I think between the 3 of yourselves you might want to find a common variable that you are all doing (maybe running Debug tool, OTT, locking frame rates, or running same AV??).

The Iron Wolf likes this.
  12. Prodigy

Prodigy Registered

Really?
    Well that explains my curiosity from 2 days ago why the AA settings I did in nvidia control panel haven't worked in the game. I needed to choose the default AA settings from the AMS Config. (AA level 1, level 2 etc).

13. Ari Antero

Ari Antero Registered

Win 10 Pro v.1709 and latest Nvidia driver 388.00 WHQL is running fine, no issues here.

McKiernan likes this.
  14. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Thanks, Maybe the GPU drivers then as they updated to 388 as soon as the Creators update finished (didn't think to stop it!), it had also reset some USB settings which I've reverted back but still no joy. Will have another try tomorrow, not yet uninstalled/reinstalled all the rift software so that's one thing to try.

15. Magus

Magus Registered

(FYI) I've just updated to 388.00 drivers & no issues with rF2 in VR.

The Iron Wolf and MarcG like this.
  16. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Cool thanks I'll have a look tomorrow :)

17. Travis

Travis Registered

Yes the update did muck up the AA settings.

A work around was published on Race Department via the Reiza forums: https://forum.reizastudios.com/threads/nvidia-aa-w10-fall-creators-update.2646/#post-29203

"A user on the NVIDIA forum has found a workaround to fix this issue (first post edited to mention this), and have AA working in fullscreen mode. Quoting his message below. I can confirm that using NvidiaProfileInspector to set AA Compatibility bits to 4412C1 (Diablo 3) fixes the problem (0xC1 also works). Hope this can help to understand and if possible fix this issue programmatically with the NVIDIA API for setting the proper flags"

18. MarcG

MarcG Registered

More agonising failure this morning and I bit the bullet and Rolled Back to a previous version of Windows 10, RF2 is now working so the Fall Update definitely screwed something up. I'm still not the only one with this issue, it appears to be affecting some and not others which makes it harder to specifically track down.

19. bobbie424242

bobbie424242 Registered

The AA compatibility bits must be set to 0x40 for rFactor2.

20. Travis

Travis Registered

As in the profile for EverQuest II?