[Official] DX9 vs DX11 performance difference

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by 4thworld, May 4, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mulero

Mulero Registered

@SPASKIS @patchedupdemon sorry guys I'm on windows 7. I had to install w10 because the processor was not compatible with w7 but I finally found a way to get back to w7. What I do not remember to change the data in the profile.

I've repeated the tests and the results are the same except for the borderless mode in DX11, I'd probably turned off the mirrors in the last test.

chart (1).png

SPASKIS likes this.
  2. stonec

stonec Registered

Tested windowed/borderless vs fullscreen on DX9 and DX11. Results are:

Interlagos DX11 windowed: 158 FPS
    Interlagos DX11 fullscreen: 158 FPS
    Interlagos DX9 windowed: 178 FPS
    Interlagos DX9 fullscreen: 178 FPS

This is with GTX 1050 Ti and Windows 10. I believe difference in windowed to fullscreen is either because of old GPU (Kepler) as @Ari Antero pointed out, or due to Windows 7. Back when Nvidia Kepler and Windows 7 were announced, basically no games had borderless windowed mode, so most played at fullscreen. I know that some people used to turn Windows Aero off in W7 to gain better performance when running games in windowed. W8 and W10 improved on this. So IMO it's probably just old hardware and OS not working at optimum with newer software. The expected result would be that borderless and fullscreen have same FPS more or less.

patchedupdemon and SPASKIS like this.
  3. Lazza

Lazza Registered

The more data we get the fewer patterns we see :D

Risto Kappet, Will Mazeo and SPASKIS like this.
  4. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

I am as puzzled as you.

5. hitm4k3r

hitm4k3r Registered

Tried 15 AI cars with 9 visible (all from the GT3 pack) at Portugal GT at lowest possible settings in the newest DX11 Beta (v.1109) and it is a complete slideshow. There is certainly something wierd going on in how the cars are rendered or how the game is processing in DX11. No question that the new cars are a bit more demanding, but my PC should not be running out of realtime when I am running the game at minimum with 15 AI cars in DX11.

6. Stan

Stan Registered

@hitm4k3r It's because they are not well or totally converted yet from raceroom... just kidding!
    P.S: I know the McLaren is from AC... kidding again...

Suzukinol likes this.
  7. Mulero

Mulero Registered

New Build brought a new performance drop, another 5%. Average FPS are now 23% less than in the older version DX9.

chart (2).png

Tested version 1109_DX9 and performance is terrible. 33% less than in v1098. Something I changed some back builds in the DX9 version but as I was in DX11 I do not know what or when. Can someone else confirm this or am I just me?

demerzel, dadaboomda and Davvid like this.
  8. bobbie424242

bobbie424242 Registered

You really must set Shadow quality to Low for a huge FPS boost. And eventually set "Other car details" to Medium.
    There's really a problem with shadows and how taxing they are, and not even looking good.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2017
    dadaboomda likes this.
  9. stonec

stonec Registered

Shadow quality on low basically means you get rid of real time shadows for cars etc., to me unacceptable. Medium looks too rough as well.

Regarding FPS, I only had a quick test at a start grid from replay. I saw no difference in performance, which is what I expected as there was no mention of DX11 changes in build notes. The new GT3 cars themselves will cause lower performance than older cars, but it's another matter. Didn't test with DX9 either as it won't be developed any further anyway.

v1108-DX11: 84/85 FPS
    v1109-DX11: 84/85 FPS

10. dadaboomda

dadaboomda Registered

FOR MEDIUM (GTX 780) OR LOW COMPUTER :

- deactivate shadows
    - deactivate real mirrors
    - deactivate post process
    - deactivate environment reflection
    - lower anti aliasing
    - max AI = 6 and AI cars detail = low

Privilegate 3k or 4k resolution with AA off or level 1. If you have a full hd TV and a nvidia video card, use the DSR function with 3k or 4k with aa level 1 or aa off.

Use auto detail framerate : it is not a miracle solution but it works fine.

For the CPU, put the "real time algorythm" in the UI to X1.

With aproximely these settings I have 60 FPS 99% of the time with 4K (DSR), full track details, road details, texture details, anisotropic X16, best graphics settings in the nvidia driver (high quality textures etc.)

And I confirmed shadows is the worst setting for performance AND there is absolutely NO combination with good shadow graphics (even ultra + ultra).

Computer :
    I5 2500K overclock = +15%
    16GO ram
    Gtx 780 gpu oveclock = +23%
    ***********pci express 16 2.0****************** due to bad motherboard.

I hope it will help some guys !

11. hitm4k3r

hitm4k3r Registered

I think the 650s is actually from the same source wich wouldn't be something unusual. There are alot of artists trading their models with different developers (like the C7R for example wich is in PCars, AC and in AMS and rF2 as a mod).

That said, I made a test in DX9 (build 1109) with the same amount of cars from the GT3 pack at high settings (even reflections and shadows) and despite from the start of the race it ran at solid 60 frames without skipping a beat for one single time. Wich takes the more demanding cars out of the equation for the cause of the slide show issues. It is so damn frustrating right now. Driving alone it is smooth as butter but as soon as I add a few AI cars it gets unplayable in DX11 no matter wich graphic settings I use. Surprisingly enough, with some cars the running out of real time isn't as extreme as with the GT3 cars. Played for hours yesterday testing the CART mod and it ran pretty much fine with maybe 1 or 2 stutters.

12. dadaboomda

dadaboomda Registered

Really good news on my medium PC without overclocking the graphics card.

With the radical the 21 km of the nordschleife have been almost all the time smooth.

- With AI that I usually don't use and without overclocking my gtx 780 (usually +23% OC)
    - Tested on 3 rounds (21min15). There is clearly an improvement.

Yet no performance optimization was mentioned in the new build ??!

13. stonec

stonec Registered

Most likely because there aren't any improvements. @Mulero reported less performance, I got the same performance. If you test the old vs new build, make sure you don't test with the new GT3 cars. The GT3 cars perform horribly on the older build, probably because of the new shaders and damage model that don't work correctly unless you use the latest build.

14. dadaboomda

dadaboomda Registered

But I have a real improvement. A factual improvement.

- With any isi/s397 cars with the previous build. With strong overclocking and no ai. Even with the mclaren gt3.
    - In the new build with absolutely same conditions (I am sure 100%) **with** AI and **NO** overclocking and also the radical gt3 : better smooth. Tested on 63 km....

Before being a project leader I was a tester, I know how to practice a valid test ;)

15. Ari Antero

Ari Antero Registered

Build 1109 Changelog:

• Added: An extended visual damage model featuring a combination of dents, scratches and cracks on the bodywork of cars, which has been implemented on the GT3 pack.
    • Added: New window and headlight glass shader that produces more realistic reflections. All five GT3 cars use it.
    • Added: Controller Profiles for Thrustmaster T-GT, T-GT Ferrari F1 Addon, TS-XW, TS-XW with Ferrari F1 Addon.
    • Added: Updates to the CPM model.
    • Fixed: Various small fixes to the no rain zone code that prevents rain from entering closed cockpits.
    • Fixed: All controller profiles default inputs are now assigned to JOY1.
    • Fixed: Bumped the rFactor 2 version for multiplayer compatibility to 1109 because of the new visual dents that required changes to the multiplayer protocol.
    I was expecting DX11 to be released as new default. I can not see anything in changelog which gives better performance. I am disappointed and can not see any point to benchmark build 1109 :(

F1 2004 and Pauli Partanen like this.
  16. craigstys

craigstys Registered

I've had my Rift about three months and RF2 was the most difficult to get to run right until today. Had to really bear down and tweak the daylights out of a three year old Z77 chipset. Clocked an i5 3570K to 4.4ghz and clocked 16GB of HyperX RAM to 1800mhz. Dropped in a 1080 FE and clocked it to 1930 mhz boost. Got that SATA powered Inateck 3.0 USB card with 7 ports. Had to fiddle with the other VIA USB 2.0 drivers on the board for my G27, which likes 2.0 better.

I just hit the jackpot on driver combos and tweaks. It occurs once in a blue moon. That being said, RF2 is running wild in VR.
    In game settings of course vary on track and mod. I'm throwing the kitchen sink at it with SCES Road America from Steam Workshop and the fantastic new CART 1998 Mod.

Steam VR Supersample set to 1.4. RF2 shadows to low, road and enviro reflections off. Circuit detail medium, Player detail and Oppo detail to high for good looking cars. Texture detail high. Special effects medium. Rain off. 10 AI opponents.

I'm a stickler for stutter. Even in one corner for a tenth of a second. It's gone. It's so buttery smooth and fast. But it takes work, and your results are different for everyone. My advice is to swing hard and when you finally hit it, RF2 in VR is first class experience.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2017
  17. Rastas

Rastas Registered

Got a new card,Gigabyte 1050TI G1 4G RGB,my old one GTX660,lets see if i get a improvement hehe :D

18. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

1109 is mainly to bring support to GT3 pack. It is not DX11 specific.

The DX11 part changelog has recently published by 4th world who seems to be back after a 2-3 month absence.

https://forum.studio-397.com/index.php?threads/official-dx11-beta-updates.55357/page-2#post-918161

19. Suzukinol

Suzukinol Registered

In my situation, DX11 is giving 20 or 25 fps less than DX9 with same settings, cleared folders cbash and shared and disabled post processing. I am little scared for the next public build if I am sincere to you

SPASKIS and dadaboomda like this.
  20. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

Exactly, for some users dx11 is not bringing anything apart from an even poorer perfomance to an already exigent software. Apparently only VR and top hardware owners users are getting the biggest benefit.

Everybody adjusts his graphical settings in order to have an acceptable fps performance to race. Everybody can improve his graphics by raising this settings. AA, higher resolution, reflections, soft particles... they all can improve the game without dx11 consuming PP effects.

If something was really expected from dx11 is an increase in performance that is just the opposite today as has been widely reported. However, DX11 is considered to be ready to become standard. I completely disagree on how this item has been developed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.