Rfactor2 The VR thread -settings & tips

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Adrianstealth, Apr 30, 2017.

1. Simon Marshall

Simon Marshall Member

Does anyone have any insider knowledge on whether the driver names in VR will be fixed soon. Im loving the rift and have managed to find work-arounds for most of the issues that moving away from DX9 & trackmap has caused me. The biggest one I can't cope with is not knowing who is in my view. I know I have a positional menu I can use but don't really have the spare focus to cycle through menus and can be quite a problem on race day when wanting to adjust my driving depending on who is where.

2. MarcG

MarcG Registered

No idea if it will be fixed or not and when if ever, I'll recommend Crew Chief to find out who is ahead or behind (if racing AI) if you'd rather not scroll through the HUD, which is a fine alternative as it sits in the corner out the way and doesn't intrude the forward view like Labels (just my opinion).

3. TheMattyOnline

TheMattyOnline Member

It was disabled in VR as it was causing problems with black boxes on the screen as far as I am aware.

I would not expect to see this back in its original form, but rather in a more logical hud type info. Or, as Marc suggested using an app like Crew Chief.

If I'm honest, I always thought those labels with the lines looked a bit odd and detracted from the look so I'm not sorry to see them go.

Maybe when the new DX11 draw method is implemented, then something can be done with names then?

4. Simon Marshall

Simon Marshall Member

i tend to use the menu for tyres and crew chief does everything else really well - but never really had much luck with the voice commands mid-race (online multiplayer). The menu also doesn't allow for lapped or lapping cars - iirc it only shows the cars relative to your race position.

I'm presuming i can't re-enable it in a log file somewhere -would be nice to at least have a choice - i never had an issue when it was working

I hope the upcoming updates will be VR friendly

5. txinas

txinas Registered

Hi, are posibiliti that in the future change the car scale? I use it in Project cars 2 and i think that it was very good idea.

And another thing was the screens of the ars. For the VR users is important have more nformation in the car screen.

Thanks and go Working boys.

6. TheMattyOnline

TheMattyOnline Member

This has been brought up and is on the wish list for VR yes.

VR is still a fairy low percentage of the user base and there are lots of things more pressing currently, but VR will be revisited quite soon along with DX11 optimisations and improvements I think.

7. sherpa25

sherpa25 Registered

Any news re a solution like 'Lock to Horizon'? After a month's hiatus, tried the game again and after a lap with the world bouncing around, had to quit and check the forum again for news. That thread seems to have been updated way back Sept, and no comment from a dev. Would be nice if there's some positive word about it.

genius69 likes this.
  8. WiZPER

WiZPER Registered

How do you think that would feel, climbing Eau Rouge ?

9. TheMattyOnline

TheMattyOnline Member

Again, this has been requested a few times and is on the rather long list of things that people want to see added to VR.
    There has been no time scale for when it will be looked at though.

sherpa25 likes this.
  10. BazzaLB

BazzaLB Registered

I got a nice smooth setup in VR..... Until I tried the new GT3 pack. I think those cars (with the exception of the McLaren) could do with a little optimisation. The new corvette with a field of 15 at Mills Metro gives me quite a bit of reprojection whilst the older C6.R runs perfectly smooth.

Anyone else notice this with the new cars?

11. WiZPER

WiZPER Registered

I've been away from simracing for a while, but yeah, I too struggle with VR performance - using a GTX1080

12. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Could be higher poly models of the new cars perhaps, will check it it later myself.

13. TheMattyOnline

TheMattyOnline Member

Can't say I've noticed, but I will also check it later.

14. elbo

elbo Registered

That sucks, lock to horizon is a must for VR implementation, as soon as you step off the tarmac or a bumpy track you get the vomit inducing bounces.
    RF2 is amazing in VR aside from this very significant over-sight.

sherpa25 likes this.
  15. OzzyNeil

OzzyNeil Registered

Im coming back to rfactor after a very long break and find that vr is no good for me with all that movement, so let's make a deal. You put lock to horizon in game and I'll purchase gt3 pack.

genius69 likes this.
  16. MarcG

MarcG Registered

I've had to lower settings slightly but not drastically with these new Cars, same AI as before with Reflections on Low and 10 visible Vehicles (High/12 previously) and it's roughly the same, maybe need to tweak ever so slightly but it's certainly not a massive FPS loss by any means.

17. BazzaLB

BazzaLB Registered

Woah, seems I am running much higher settings. 10 visible cars looks wierd with cars popping in and out. I have visible cars at 20. Must admit I like to start at back of grid and work my way through. I will stick with the older cars I think. Couldn't play with only 10 visible cars.

18. MarcG

MarcG Registered

yeah I could have more if I lowered other settings but I don't want to do that, besides cars popping in/out only happens for the first few laps, after that I generally only see 4-6 cars around me anyway :) Saying that it was only an initial change last night, I could try changing something else to raise the amount of Visible Cars again.

WiZPER likes this.
  19. BazzaLB

BazzaLB Registered

Personally, I wish they'd optimise the new models. All other cars on original tracks are smooth for me. Running i7 7700K@4.8 with GTX1080ti Xtreme. This is on the Vive with ss@1.7. Mind you, changing ss and lowering opponent details from full to medium made barely any difference for me with the new cars. Still got stutter at grid and various parts of the track.

20. MarcG

MarcG Registered

It's a bit of optimisation plus newer models are expected to be higher in details, not to mention continuing optimisation of the DX11engine itself which is not complete yet.