[WIP] CART Factor

Discussion in 'Vehicles' started by zerocool, Dec 13, 2014.

1. Ari Antero

Ari Antero Registered

We have started a google document that is open to the public to make any comments if you can assist.
    https://docs.google.com/document/d/1bpqv-RHweJCvlp3ZJ4LXEsyyiC1JwFNIaIJqUPPd9qE/edit?usp=sharing

2. ciprox

ciprox Registered

thanks for your nice work. i really like to drive the good old CART series. besides the mass of positive points i only want to mention a minor critical thing which i recognized which is typical for human beings :)
    when i got into the car the first time trying to navigate the car arround long beach my impression was that i did not feel "connected" somehow. the steering input or at least the result on my car was slower than expected. one could say the car felt not alive or not as an open wheeler which should transfer the wheel input immediately. it felt as i was using a false steering wheel range and/or wheel lock.
    i am using an accuforce wheel by with 570 degrees of rotation at my hardware. in rf2 under settings i am using even 570 deg under steering wheel range. when i need some tiny changes (sharper or smoother steering) i change the "steering lock" in my car setup which worked fine all the years.
    The CART Mod is limited in this special part in setting up the car. thus i had to reduce my hardware steering to 380 degrees of rotation to get the impression that my steering input will be transformed to the car in front of my display. it worked that i was able to drive the car arround the course but i am still not happy with the compromise. i was able to solve the issue by changing my hardware settings especially the steering rotation but i want to ask whether there is something wrong/missing or ist the problem located at my end?

3. jpalesi

jpalesi Registered

4. Eric Rowland

Eric Rowland Registered

[​IMG]

DaveS78, Heisenberx and ede78 like this.
  5. Heisenberx

Heisenberx Registered

The last missing peace is Surfers Paradise.

6. Heisenberx

Heisenberx Registered

IMG_0144.JPG

Eric Rowland, DaveS78 and Highbank like this.
  7. Shamrock

Shamrock Registered

Is anyone else *ahem* off the pace? I am 8.4s off pace at Road America. These AI are ridiculously fast.

Zeh Drei Peo likes this.
  8. ppantel

ppantel Registered

Thanks for the feedback, i will start creating a list of bugs and fiqure out how to update it on steam. Does anyone here know how updating mods work? do i just run the upload steam bat file again with the same name with a different version number? also will it auto update everyone's already subscribed mod?

9. Coutie

Coutie Moderator Staff Member

Just put the new file in the folder, and delete the old one, then run the batch file.

For me, the car lacks grip in slow speed corners, it swaps ends really easy.
    Also, for driver names, the Canadian ones should be CAN instead of CND.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2017
    DaveS78 likes this.
  10. smbrm

smbrm Registered

Just some feedback: Rear view mirrors on car are blown out. Everything appears almost white. It appears that what should be visible is there, you just can see it.
    cheers

11. Zeh Drei Peo

Zeh Drei Peo Registered

Thank God i'm not the only one. I almost went into a crisis yesterday.

12. ppantel

ppantel Registered

I did notice the ai seemed godlike with these animals

13. rubennaatje

rubennaatje Registered

Is it my driving skills or are these incredibly hard to drive?

I often lose control mid corner with oversteer, what do I change in the setup to fix that?

ede78 and DaveS78 like this.
  14. Flaux

Flaux Registered

Up the differential coast setting in small steps until it is neutral mid corner.

ede78 and rubennaatje like this.
  15. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

For a short distance, I'd say a young Paul Tracey was the fastest.
    Michael Andretti was best paced for an entire race.
    Al Unser Jr. was better at certain tracks than everyone, but didn't always have top shelf equipment.
    {Chevy/Illmor engine that lacked the top end of Ford and Honda at Speedways like Indy--Galmer chassis which was competitive on high downforce circuits but a liability at the Supers, which makes his victory at Indy with the Galmer even more amazing, Goodyear tires vs Villenue's far superior Firestone/Bridgestones during Jr's last year with Penske]
    Emmo and Red 5 both adapted brilliantly to the Cart environment
    Montoya came in near the end and used his incredibly fast hands to to driver quicker than the car.
    If there was a technical advantage, Bobby Rahal's team often found it.

jayarrbee36 and ppantel like this.
  16. ppantel

ppantel Registered

I wonder what kind of tech info the original creators got their hands on, the only stuff i can find is the cart year books and the season rule books?

17. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

Possibly the best alternative for a CARTfactor mod port would be hitting up Patrick Giranthon regarding porting his Automobilista release of the mod. It's the "ultimate edition," per se.

Real driver feedback and I think there was an engineer too.

18. rubennaatje

rubennaatje Registered

I'll try that thanks.

19. fbiehne

fbiehne Registered

Really hard to drive these cars, I cannot remember when the last time was that I spinned so often during one lap. The Automobilista version is a lot easier to drive but I will try the differential coast hint.

20. hitm4k3r

hitm4k3r Registered

They sure were a handfull to drive and I am glad that they aren't just some hop in and have fun cars. Don't forget that they had 900HP and that technology wasn't where it is now in terms of aerodynamics and especialy tire technology. Just to think that they drove a full race distance with those relatively huge cars, with sequential shifters battling each other at tracks like Long Beach makes you realize how crazy that series was.

You got to trim the car to your driving style until you can manage the oversteer. Don't forget to adjust the boost setting for different track sections. With the CART Extreme mod I allways had the feeling that the cars were a bit too gripy and a tad too easy to drive while accelerating out of slow corners. This version brings back the rF1 feeling with the great FFB and physics fidelity of rF2 and once you manage the car it's very satisfying. Just to wrestle the car through the last section of Portland is pure blizz. How fast the weight shifts, allways balancing the car on the edge over those bumps is something special for sure. The AI needs another look, in terms of how they interact with the player (awereness) and their speed/grip. I only tried the Reynard so far, but all seemed to work great despite the fact that there are only soft tires awailable. Not tried driving in the rain so far.

All in all it is a very solid mod as it is and I hope that it makes S397 how popular 90's CART racing is and how big the opportunity would be to finaly release the 1995 Reynard or even the March 86c. With all the other feedback given so far this could turn out to be just perfect.