4 seconds of pace. What to train? :-)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Nygaard, Oct 13, 2017.

1. Nygaard

Nygaard Registered

Hi
    With the release of Mclaren and coming gt3 pack, I've started to show Rfactor 2 some interest.
    I've done 10-15 hours of practice at the Silverstone international comparing to qualy times in the "World fastest gamer competition".

My best lap time is now 1:04:5, which is approximately 4 seconds of pace compared with the best drivers. Its default setup with minimal fuel.

-Has anyone experiences on how much they gained from setup?

PRACTICE IRACING:
    Compared with Iracing, I can practice maybe half an hour and when every corner is right, I am within 1.5-2 seconds of the best drivers and sometimes the optimal time is maybe 0.5-0.7 seconds of, and this is with default setup. This is not a consistent lap time that I can do over and over again, but the point is, that it has always been clear to me, where to improve and how to do it. I can easily identify slow corners and where to find the time. Sometimes i really nail a corner and bleed of the brakes so that the car is turned in for a fast exit, and then I know where to go, which is very motivating, even though it takes a lot of praticce to redo.

PRACTICE RFACTOR 2 (different story):
    I know that laptime will be reduced by practice, and that I have to get used to Rfactor 2, but the thing is, that I find it difficult to identify what to practice. Looking at the very fast laps at youtube I generally see, that much more speed is carried through the corners, like the car has more grip. Now i am trying to drive the correct line, and one thing that I notice is, that I am much more consistent compared with Iracing even when I am overdriving the car to find the correct braking point, turn in and blend of brake and turning. When I realized this i thought WOW! "I will gain speed rapidly, since experimenting will not put you in the wall like in iracing", but it is not the case.
    I never come out of a corner and feel that this was a big improvement, and that brings me to the conclusion that I do not practice right. I need to identify what I am failing at.

Long story short:
    In Iracing I knew where and how to gain from the start and I was very inconsistent in lap times, trying to practice exactly that.

In Rfactor 2 I have almost no clue where and how to improve, cause I never get the experience of doing something really good.

-Has anyone had the same experience?
    -I need help in the right direction. Can anyone see from my explanations help me? :)

This was a long one. :)

2. Comante

Comante Registered

Hello from another +4 seconds guy.
    What was suggested me to improve was to not care about laptime, and to not "force" the car.
    Driving harder make you feel you are on the limit, but only because you are lowering it!
    RF2 enjoy smooth input application. What I experienced is that I was faster in the lap that felt slower.
    Laptime does not come from braking as later as possible, that is a tiny tiny fraction of a whole lap.
    Laptime doen not even come only from making a turn slightly faster, but this help a bit for sure.
    Laptime come when you can accelerate earlier,faster,stronger out of a turn.
    Take for example an airpin followed by a long straight, if you will be able to exit that turn even just 2 3 km/h faster, and be able to straighten the wheel a bit earlier, that speed will grant your a gain for the whole straight, increased speed mean more RPM, mean more TORQUE, mean FASTER acceleration, mean HIGHER speed at the end of the straight.
    The rule is "slow in, fast out". You will find SECONDS this way.
    Turn of lap timer, concentrate on tire panel, learn to drive in a way that keep tire warm for a whole lap, and try to make tires last, or at least avoid cooking them.
    After some time, check yout times.
    Setup changes can help, but before you need to drive in the correct way, then it will be easy to know what to change to improve.

AtLeastNotTheLastGrid and Jon like this.
  3. Nygaard

Nygaard Registered

Thanks for your reply.

I like this thought:
    Actually when i look at the replay of fast guys, they are not that earlier, faster or stronger on the gas than I am BUT, they are carrying much more speed into the apex without sliding, and I cant figure out how. :) I try to turn in at the same point as them, but the car is sliding and I miss the apex if i carry more speed.

4. Rui Santos

Rui Santos Registered

For sure setup has a very important role in those laptimes, also check if the track is rubbered, that can make a LOT of difference in laptimes...

Nygaard likes this.
  5. Nygaard

Nygaard Registered

Rubbered? Rubber put into the track?
    Do anyone actually know the track state at which the fastest qualifying results in "world fastest gamer" are set? Is it just default?

Does weather has a huge impact like in Iracing?

6. Comante

Comante Registered

Yeah rubber is very very important, much more than weather in RF2 at the moment, when starting a session you can choose between different states : from green to heavily rubbered. Green track is very slow. I assumed you know about that parameter. I would go with a medium setting, or a light setting, you can then decide the rate at which rubber builds up. I prefer a medium condition over a heavy rubbered condition, especially i rubber is laid down by AI and not by me.

Nygaard likes this.
  7. Nygaard

Nygaard Registered

Ok it set at medium, but cannot be changed. Running consisten1 10 laps in a row 1.04:7 'ish and it feels very clean. When i push I get 1-2 seconds slower but do not loose control completely. Thats something I never can in Iracing. To be clean i have to race 1-2 seconds slower than my best lap. :) Funny how that is so different

8. peterchen

peterchen Registered

You have to set the weather to "scripted" to change Realroad-setting (I think).
    Set Realroad to 3x or so and start with "Autosave". Then you will always be driving on the latest state of rubber build-up.

Nygaard likes this.
  9. Nygaard

Nygaard Registered

that worked.

10. Led566

Led566 Registered

Are you practicing online or offline with AI?
    Since last june with simtek mod i'm two or three second faster online than offline with AI, everything else (and I say everything) being the same (rubber on track, temps, setup, etc).

Rui Santos likes this.
  11. Rui Santos

Rui Santos Registered

Yes, allways i'm fast in online servers than when practicing offline for the same event with same conditions, don't ask me why, this happens for years!

12. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

I think I saw, during the WFG event, that the tracks used, Silverstone & Zandvoort, had the real road set at a fixed level. So there would be no ice-road from hell for the first few laps.

Nygaard likes this.
  13. Nygaard

Nygaard Registered

Ok so from your experience the same setup for weather and road condition is different from online and offline?

Last edited: Oct 14, 2017
  14. Rui Santos

Rui Santos Registered

Yes, i allways practice offline for the events, fact is that when i go online my laptimes improve, not sure why, never understood that... also i have friends with same opinion...

15. Led566

Led566 Registered

It is also depending on the mod.
    Yesterday evening for example with simtek huracan in Malesia I was 3 seconds faster online than offline with 15 AI, same setup.
    The Lambo easily develop 2.5 g lateral, offline I won't be able to reach 2.0g. Top speed is also affected, 245 online, 240 offline with less wing. Car has less grip, less power. Don't know why.

16. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

Have those noticing differences ever checked telemetry? 3 seconds is a lot!!!

I barely play offline and when I do is basically because I want to try a different combo to the one being used for our next online race. Basically, I have never made a direct comparison between both modes.

17. peterchen

peterchen Registered

Maybe different temperatures/humidity? Affects engine-power.

18. Nygaard

Nygaard Registered

If every condition affecting lap time is the same, lap times should be the same online or offline.
    It would be nice to replicate exactly the same conditions as for the wfg qual. looking at races carried out in iracing you can see the exact condition for that race.

There is no fun in comparing my lap times with wfg qual, If the were carried out in different conditions, which have an effect on lap times :-(

19. Rui Santos

Rui Santos Registered

Maybe, also wind direction for sure has a great impact, but it's not logical that i'm usually faster online, following this thought sometimes i should be slower, but that never happens...

SPASKIS likes this.
  20. Christos Segkounas

Christos Segkounas Registered

In our league we use a lot of grip on the online server to help inexperienced drivers.
    If I want to practice offline I will go online, save the realroad and use it for the offline practice.
    Even then there's still a little less grip offline, sometimes it's a small difference, others it's a bigger difference in grip, I do not know why that is when supposedly I'm using the "same" realroad.
    But that's what it comes down to in terms of lap times, grip.
    I will copy temp conditions, time of day and the like to create a similar environment.
    As for wind direction, my understanding is the setting does nothing, wind hasn't been implemented in the sim yet.

SPASKIS likes this.