How to reduce oversteer?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Amanda Santini, Oct 10, 2017.

1. Christos Segkounas

Christos Segkounas Registered

First off, I never use "vehicle set", I prefer to always use the wheel rotation I am generally comfortable with and tune the steering lock in the setup so that I maintain the wheel rotation were I want it.
    That means I will turn the wheel to go into a corner roughly the same in any car.
    The SLS will dive it's nose into a corner much more readily than all other cars in this mod, more so the higher the speed.
    You can tell the car behaves a lot like the Enduracers because it weaves down the straight, a sign of extreme inertia values, the result of the very heavy front.
    Also the FFB behaves very differently to the other cars too.
    It is what it is, like I said, you can tone things down a bit by slowing down the steering and tuning the setup but you cannot change the basic character/handling of the car, you just get used to it.
    Every car wants to communicate to you how it likes to be handled in order to go fast, you have to adjust to that.
    Just because the SLS handles so differently to any other car does not mean it is bugged.
    Comparisons with AC or other sims I do not feel are useful, no one knows who has got it right and who has got it wrong and none of us really knows what the real world SLS drives like.
    Point is, can you go fast with this car and does it appeal to you, otherwise choose another one.

2. Amanda Santini

Amanda Santini Registered

As noted in another post, yes, I tried all combinations.

Yes but I tried some tips from here and other places. Still no dice.

Could you elaborate a bit more? I have no idea what this steering geometry is. Sorry for being such a noob :p

When it's so different from any respectable simulator and the real life car, it's a clear sign the car is indeed bugged. Nowhere in the world you'll find a car where it will go bananas if you turn it's wheel 5 degrees in a straight.

3. Christos Segkounas

Christos Segkounas Registered

I have no experience of the other respectable simulators you mention, nor personal experience of driving the car or relevant quotes of such drivers to refer to.
    I do not conclude the car is bugged for being made to handle differently.
    One can argue at a lack of realism with at least some kind of evidence/reference, "bugged" is not applicable for me here, a bug you'd want to report to the mod makers and be specific as to what it is.
    These free 3rd party mods cannot claim to have worked closely with manufacturers for creating the physics with some exceptions, like the GP3 mod, that much I have to understand and accept.
    This is actually true for most official content on any sim, they work with what they have and also what their goals are.
    At first I too will ride the curbs at Eau Rouge and even the grass on the inside but after adjusting my driving to suit the car's behavior I can produce a clean lap with the SLS and not worry about anything else other than pumping out the lap times.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2017
  4. Ozzy

Ozzy Registered

Sorry for being not clear enough. :p
    I'm basically saying this is a problem in the APEX mod. Everybody who uses "vehicle set" steering ratio has to cope with very sensitive steering on at least some of the cars. I don't remember which cars but I remember that some felt like steering a kart.
    For a workaround it should be possible to uncheck "vehicle set" and use more degrees of rotation. (More than what would be set by "vehicle set").

SPASKIS likes this.
  5. Amanda Santini

Amanda Santini Registered

Yeah it's kinda like that, but it's way more sensitive :p

It worked for the Z4, so I guess it's something with the MOD yes. But it didn't work for the AMG GT3, sadly.

Thanks. I'll contact the mod owner/creator.