Big VR performance improvement (vive)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Korva7, Sep 22, 2017.

1. Korva7

Korva7 Registered

turning on "Enable always-on Reprojection" and taking ticks off from "allow asynchronous reprojection" and "Allow interleaved reprojection" from steamVR's settings removed all of the stuttering i was having on rf2 vr(mainly when driving with AI). If i understood right this should give more time for cpu to do it's work. Also this should cause some additional delay to head tracking, but i was unable to notice that.

Maybe this thing is mentioned already somewhere. If that's the case, sorry for making new thread for this.
    This finding made me very happy so i hope all rf2 vr users finds this out.

I was using 1080 ti, 7700k and htc vive when testing this.

Edit: this doesn't force the game to run with 45 fps
    There link to where i found this out.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Vive/comments/64x9m7/psa_project_cars_try_always_on_reprojection/

Last edited: Sep 22, 2017
    Eddy likes this.
  2. Eddy

Eddy Registered

Thanks @Korva7 gonna try this in 5

3. The Iron Wolf

The Iron Wolf Registered

You are with Vive, right? From what I know this does not do much for Rift, because SVR defers that functionality (ATW/ASW) to Oculus Runtime. But I would be very happy if I am wrong :)

Last edited: Sep 22, 2017
  4. Korva7

Korva7 Registered

With vive, yes. About rift i don't know.

5. Eddy

Eddy Registered

I tested with rift and didn't notice any difference

6. Milopapa

Milopapa Registered

I'm doing the same thing wherever I can. Async repro seems to incur a CPU hit, while always-on repro gives more headroom to the CPU. The combined result is a smooth 90fps all around.

EDIT: This is with a 3770k at 4.6GHZ and a 1080Ti.

Korva7 likes this.
  7. Andregee

Andregee Registered

It doesn´t work with the rift because Oculus uses its own technic, Asynchronous Space Warp, a extrapolation from 45- 90 fps what generates a smooth performance even when the pc is only capable to generate 45fps. You will notice some artifacts and sweep but its much better than native 45fps or something betweg 45 and 90

8. Kokomo

Kokomo Registered

While that's true, it doesn't seem to work properly when going through SteamVR. In native apps you can barely notice you went into ASW sometimes, but in rF2 it's immediately obvious, so there is something there definitely

9. Andregee

Andregee Registered

It works properly even through SteamVr , you can also fix Asw with the Oculus tray tool and check the state with the overlay. I am doing it so to prevent the switch from off to on with the short and heavy performance drop because I prefer constant 45 ASW frames

10. Ricknau

Ricknau Registered

Thank you Korva7 for posting this. I tried it with my Vive and it makes a big difference with no discernible downside (delay to head tracking). I am now able to set shadows to medium and not have any missed frames. I have always had to put shadows at off or low. (Could never see any difference picture-wise between the two settings so left it off.) Basically this gives me some head room to play with so I can experiment in tailoring my graphics. In addition to med shadows I can run in-game AA at 5 and am now experimenting with the super-sampling though I have to say that I don't see as much picture improvement with super-samlping so will prob just go with regular AA.

My quick test was done in the 917 Porsche (an FPS hog I think) at Kyalami with 10 AI (my usual test number of AI). I'm doing this with an i5 7600k at 4.5Mhz and a 1080ti at some factory OC speed.

So thanks...

Last edited: Oct 10, 2017
  11. Korva7

Korva7 Registered

Happy to hear this helped someone. I'm having supersampling at 2.0, AA on 3 and Shadows: off with 1080ti and 7700k. I might have some room for higher settings though.