VR Performance CPU Bound?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by singhka, Sep 4, 2017.

1. singhka

singhka Registered

hi, so iv been running a pc that runs a 7700k with a gtx 1080 ti and ddr4 2400mhz 16gb mem, and my performance with rf2 in vr has had a lot left to be desired, even on medium settings, depending on the track or whether there is a couple of ai im getting alot of stuttering - this is without any supersampling, just aa. ps my headset is the vive.

anyway so im wondering if this is more down to a cpu bottleneck, i understand alot of the physics and computation is happening on the cpu level, and combine that with the computation loads of vr rendering and tracking it takes quite a toll on the cpu esp while in vr (flight sims have similar issues), so with that probably being the case, will a high core count cpu make a decent difference while running in vr, and does rf2 make use of additional cores when computing alot of calculations? im thinking of going to a high ipc/clock speed cpu such as the i7 7820x (rather than the lower clock i9s) running some mem (quad channel at 2666mhz), - would the increase in core count at similar freq, along with more mem bandwidth help with performance in vr?

maybe the developers can have some input with their experiences, i dont want to switch to and 7820x from a 7700k only to find out the 7700k performed faster.

cheers.

vegaguy5555 likes this.
  2. Erick Goldner

Erick Goldner Registered

If you have CPU bottleneck with probably the best IPC CPU on the market today for a game that does not have multithreading (if i'm not mistaken), then, well...

If you have GPU bottleneck with the best GPU on the market today, then, well...

Don't think this is your pc problem. Also quite sure you won't get any benefit (at least for rf2) going to the 7820x.

Your 7700k is overclocked right ? I believe it's the only thing that can give you a boost with VR performance here.

3. stonec

stonec Registered

You are correct, lots of people are reporting that rF2 is CPU bound in VR, which is weird, because it definitely is not when running on a normal screen. Especially with a GPU like GTX 1080 Ti, I think there is no CPU existing that is strong enough for rF2. Regarding core count, you need the best single core performance available for rF2, core count doesn't matter, as rF2 fundamentally runs on 2 cores (one for graphics thread, one for physics).

vegaguy5555 likes this.
  4. Korva7

Korva7 Registered

Interesting. Have you tried MSI afterburner to see the usage levels of gpu and cpu? I'm running with 1080ti and i5-4670k at the moment and i'm having gpu under 50% usage and cpu under 80% usage, which is weird. I thought cpu would be at 100% usage if it's bottle necking.

i'm not very satisfied with the rf2 vr performance either, but i thought it's because of my cpu and that upgrading to 7700k would fix all the problems. It seems like it doesn't. I'm having stutter free gameplay now without ai, AA at 2, Super Sampling at 2, no shadows, no mirrors, no reflections, and other things at full. Also i have to be selective with tracks and cars.

5. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

There's been no optimisation updates for a while ,
    I wonder if there's more mileage in Rfactor2's VR performance ?

6. singhka

singhka Registered

hi guys, thanks for the feedback, so you guys suggesting that clock speed is the key here and additional cores wont take any extra loads?
    if thats true ill try some OCing, im running everything at stock and rated speeds, i did do some mild oc initially on the cpu had it running at 4.9 (stock boost is 4.5) and didnt notice to much difference so i reverted back to stock, iv got my specs below, looks like this game needs alot more optimizing, assetto corsa runs very well compared but im aware of the different levels of simulation under the hood so dont like to compare the two. hopefully theres some updates round the corner. a good example would be the developers of aerofly fs2 who did wonders over time, they added vr round the time the vive launched, and within the space of a number of months released 3 major performance updates that transformed its vr frame rate - after alot of negative feedback regarding vr performance, so gota hand it to developers like those to react so positively and quickly.

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700K [BX80677I77700K]
    Motherboard: ASUS ROG Strix Z270E [ROG STRIX Z270E GAMING]
    Memory: G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 16GB (2X8GB) DDR4 2400Mhz [F4-2400C15D-16GTZR]
    Graphics: ASUS ROG Strix Nvidia Geforce GTX 1080 Ti OC [ROG-STRIX-GTX1080TI-O11G-GAMING]
    Solid State Drive: Samsung EVO 850 500GB [MZ-75E500BW]
    Hard Drive: Seagate FireCuda 2TB [ST2000DX002]
    Optical Drive: Pioneer BDR-209EBK
    AIO Cooler: NZXT Kraken X62 [RL-KRX62-02]
    Case Fans: NZXT Aer RGB & HUE+ (140mmX2) [RF-AR140-C1] NZXT Aer RGB 140mm [RF-AR140-B1]
    Power Supply: CORSAIR HX Series HX750 [CP-9020137-AU]
    Case: CORSAIR Carbide Series Air 540 [CC-9011030-WW]
    Thermal Paste: Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut

bluet likes this.
  7. not_him_59

not_him_59 Registered

I have a similar account regarding my VR experience and disappointment. I have all but given up on trying to get something I can use with Rf2 and my Rift. I have at least managed to get it to run at a steady 90fps, so I no longer have to reach for the sick-bag. But then graphically it looks so awful it ruins any delight in the immersion. I have a similar tale with Elite:Dangerous too, I now have it smooth but it is so disappointing to look at. The only minor success is with A.C. which I have also got running at a nice steady 90FPS but with PP effects turned off (otherwise the frame rate hit makes it jerky) I cannot see brake lights of the other cars. I have watched so many videos and read so many forum posts of how to get X looking beautiful and running smoothly, none of which have been of any use that I have essentially given up. The only thing that sounds like I should try but don't really understand is the ASW option. I have it set to auto for everything atm, but I notice a post above saying they run at 45FPS with ASW. If I understand this correctly does this mean you get a pseudo 90FPS but with better quality graphical settings and more importantly does it eliminate motion sickness?

8. Johngrim64

Johngrim64 Registered

Rfactor2 vr should fly along on such a system .check your global graphics card setting that its not adding AA .solid 90fps on my i5 plus gtx1070 .Use lowish ss if using in game AA or higher ss with no AA. Turn off post processing also shadows and reflections low or off

9. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Make your not running SS in both SteamVR and Oculus/Vive software, you want one turned in and the other at 1.0 or 0. That (amongst other things) can cause huge performance loss.

Johngrim64 likes this.
  10. singhka

singhka Registered

supersampling is disabled in steam and set to 1.0x, post processing is disabled completely in rfactor, only using aa settings in rfactor, and also every setting is set to low & on. works fine on these settings but even with these settings some tracks with more than a 2 ai starts dropping frames, and some tracks run perfeclty fine, point i was making was that with these kind of specs would expect, to be able to dial up to medium high and even add some supersampling. also all nvidia global settings are set to application controlled along with maximize performance power setting.

11. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Yeah I get better results on my system, try the usual:
    - Disable all anti-virus/background programs that you can
    - delete CBASH & SHADERS folders from SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\rFactor 2\UserData\Log folder
    - disable all plug-ins
    - GPU drivers up to date
    - Windows up to date
    - use only S397 Content for testing purposes (3rd party mods may cause issues)

12. singhka

singhka Registered

yeah thats done, only using s397 stuff, not subscribed to anything else, im guessing ur running it with some level of ss on medium - high without re projection kicking in at all?

13. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

The guy involved on this updates hasn't been active for over a month.
    Screenshot_20170905-145431.png

14. not_him_59

not_him_59 Registered

I've checked the global graphics settings and am not using AA. When you say use lowish or higher SS depending on AA, where exactly am I supposed to set such a value? I was recommended to use the Oculus Tray Tool and have an entry for Rf2, should I set it there? I have had a default setting in OTT of 1.2 SS, and 1.5 specifically for Rf2 with ASW on auto, I have now set the default SS back to 0. Is this correct, sorry, but I find this so confusing. I cannot test right now because I have a race tonight but won't be using the Rift but the monitors :confused:. Thanks anyway for trying to help.

15. Andregee

Andregee Registered

If you are using a 10 core cpu and the gaming uses only 1 core you will get a CPU limit with only 10 percent occupancy.
    Second part, every game uses a main thread. If core one is under full load, the others core have to wait for the main thread, so that you will not often notice an 100 percent load of a CPU but you are limited by it.

The Iron Wolf likes this.
  16. singhka

singhka Registered

ahh ok guys, so in conclusion, rf2 is only only uses 1-2 threads at best and the nothing is offloaded onto the others? if true then on that note ill stick to the 7700k and hopefully a decent amount of development gets spent optimizing the engines performance to actually take advantage of the hardware thats available out there for the last few years. cheers.

17. Ari Antero

Ari Antero Registered

This is above is placebo. I have tested VR and triples with I7-3770k@4.4Ghz, ram DDR3 2333 mhz, I7-4770k@4.4Ghz, ram DDR3 2666mhz and I7-5960X@4.4Ghz, ram DDR4 3000mhz with 1080Ti and max single core load is 70-80 % depending game settings are used. All 3 CPU`s (PC`s) are running smooth and there is hardly no fps difference to notice. (I7- 5960X@4.4Ghz vs I7-3770k@4.4Ghz > fps gain with I7-5960X@4.4Ghz = 2-5 fps) The only advantageous advantage which I notice with I7- 5960X PC is that game is loading much faster.

18. Korva7

Korva7 Registered

I have 4 core cpu and the load seems to be pretty evenly distributed. Two cores are around 80 and other two over 70.

19. Andregee

Andregee Registered

The test is no evidence that there is no CPU limit because all CPU have nearly the same performance per clock and core and the task scheduler of the operating system lets the load jump from one thread to another so that you will nearly never see a 100% core load. rFactor2 doesn´t benefit from a 6 core CPU so thats no wonder that you did not get more fps using the 5960. Check i 7700k with 5ghz and you will earn more fps, because its a around 20% faster than the 3770k per clock and that together with 10% more clock speed will increase the fps rate.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2017
  20. Ari Antero

Ari Antero Registered

rFactor 2 has dual core support and clock speed don`t increase fps in this game. If you doubt you can easy check it with your I7 7700k@4.2 ghz vs I7 7700k@5.0 ghz. Batlfield is only game I play which has quad core support and I7 5960x fps increase vs I7 3770k is only 5-10 fps ;)