Released NEW! Radical SR3 RSX 2017 - Now Available!

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by Christopher Elliott, Jul 1, 2017.

1. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

Are these words from a real life driver after taking the one in rF2 for a few laps? That's just what I mean, I'm not saying it is real or not.

2. Slamfunk3

Slamfunk3 Registered

While I can't say I felt any "overbearing" understeer when I tried each of these cars I do remember the Radical feeling a bit soft out of the box. To me it felt like that softness allowed the front end to roll over onto the outside tire, especially when driven hard into the corner. Stiffening up the front springs cured it for me. Maybe this is why some feel like the understeer can't be dialed out as normally you would just keep making the front even softer or the rear stiffer. Perhaps it's worth a shot.
    TK

patchedupdemon likes this.
  3. patchedupdemon

patchedupdemon Registered

Nope last time I drove it when it was first released it felt exactly how you described it,after a few minor setup tweaks,I don't know if it's been updated or changed since tho.

Just wish it had mwoar powerrrrrrr lol

4. Christos Segkounas

Christos Segkounas Registered

The only quotes I've seen from drivers who have driven the real thing say exactly the opposite.

5. Christos Segkounas

Pretty much everyone who's driven the thing says the same thing.

Yes, since my problem is not turn-in but overall understeer while trailbraking I felt it was normal to soften up the front instead of the other way around that momentarily loads the wheels more but less overall providing less grip.
    I always tune the ARBs first though and do not like the copmplexity involved in tuning springs since they tend to affect turn-in and mid-corner in opposite ways.
    So I will be sure to give your suggestions a shot to see if they magically transform the car into something -even remotely- resembling the above quotes.
    I can generally drive around the understeer by being much lighter on the brake on corner entry than I normally would but this is what understeer is about, if you use just a little more brake it will simply push and not rotate.
    If you just finish the braking in a straight line and yank the steering the car will happily turn into the corner.
    Mind you I have never driven anything like that and felt fast while doing it.
    So it's probably useful to make clear that I am personally referring to corner-entry-trailbraking understeer, which is possibly what the rest of the guys reporting understeer refer to and why not all of us seem to be on the same page.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2017
  6. Emery

Emery Registered

I've driven a couple cars in real life that favored this approach. The one I distinctly remember was a full-race Lotus Europa on slicks... it absolutely did not want the driver trailbraking or else you'd have to bring it to a crawl to make it turn.

Have you tried moving the brake bias rearward?

7. Christos Segkounas

That's another one of the Radical's strange features.
    You start to move the bias rearwards but there's no cure.
    So you go further and further and further until you take it all the way.
    And I mean ALL the way to the rear, far as it will go.
    And the behavior remains the same.
    Except now, at seemingly random moments/corners, it will suddenly swap ends on you.
    Next time it will understeer again.
    Next time it will snap out under braking.
    Terribly inconsistent.
    In the McLaren 0.5% bias adjustment makes a noticeable difference.
    Rad is like "nope, ain't turning into that corner on the brakes, don't care".
    It's a damned formula with license plates FFS, how can it ever not turn on the brakes...

8. peterchen

peterchen Registered

For me it turns on the brakes pretty well! If you set the brake-bias right, rear tyres lock a bit and rear turns in.
    I can fine-tune it very sensitive with brake-bias. You drive another car then, or you´re just not able to.

9. Christos Segkounas

I have already made a very thorough post about the Rad having to be thrown into the corner with locking up the rears to go fast and there's been a whole discussion about that already.
    You are mistaken if you think I have no idea how to drive and what I'm talking about when this is the exact driving style i utilized in low grip positions IRL, even taking pole once on a dusty and gripless track that got faster by the second.
    Such a driving style may be required to win a competitive Radical race but, as is obvious from watching Radical drivers in real life, should not be required for a nice clean lap.
    Also, sliding into the corner by momentarily "locking up" the rears and trailbraking I am discussing are different things.
    Of course I drive another car now, apparently so is most everyone else as well.
    That's the point.
    As for not being able to, should not confuse criticism of handling with driver speed.
    It would make for a most interesting situation if the guys complaining about the handling were actually able to go quicker with the car than those swearing by it and I wouldn't at all be surprised if that were the case.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2017
  10. peterchen

peterchen Registered

Don´t get me wrong, I don´t said it is required to lock the rears! It was just an answer to you stating that brake bias is doing nothing for you. Indeed I think my fastest laps where without locking.
    If you wish you can setup a server with short versions of silverstone and we can make a shootout next week. :D

11. Christos Segkounas

Apparently I'm not able to setup anything.
    And lol no, I would never challenge anyone to such a competition, my comment was not specific to you, I don't know who you are anyway.
    Could be Vettel, could be Deletraz.

12. Comante

Comante Registered

I see no strange behaviour, aero load is function of speed.. squared, it was already pointed out that rear wing projection act as a lever, multiplying load. What this mean is that under braking, load on the rear axle decrease pretty fast, under these assumptions, more you balance brake to the rear, earlier brake force will overcome grip, earlier mean higher speed, that in the end mean higher fluctuation and much less predictability, because each single km/h of difference could mean whole Kgs on the tires.

13. LokiD

LokiD Registered

not to mention the fps issues this car has and the super quick ai. hhhhmmm

14. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

https://forum.studio-397.com/index....or-just-i-be-worried.56478/page-7#post-903472
    @Christopher Elliott
    In the above post, it was claimed that LHD version of this car has a very uneven weight distribution 57:43 causing a 1.3:1 ratio for tire loads.

Those values are far from the official recommendation in the Car Mechanics Handbook. Screenshots were extracted and posted to prove.

Has this been forwarded to physics team as the FFB issue for the same car as explained in the other thread about this car?

Four months after it was claimed we have not received any news (bug confirm?) about the feedback provided.

Guimengo likes this.
  15. Nibiru

Nibiru Registered

:confused:It was spoken about on Disord that enough:D

16. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

Can you provide a link. Discord shouldn't be the place for such things because things get buried by pizza and banana discussions.

17. Christopher Elliott

Christopher Elliott Registered

I think there's a common misconception that when we don't answer that we're 'ignoring', we do take all feedback into account even when not responding --->>>>>> but it doesn't mean we can deal with every report in that moment.
    When we come back to this car, the feedback it will be considered, thanks for reporting!

18. Ari Antero

Ari Antero Registered

When some does discourse with @Christopher Elliott, @Marcel Offermans etc. you are interrupted all the time by banana pizza boys they do not wait for their turn. It is bad today's app generation don`t have any respect or manners what so ever :eek:

F1 2004 and GrimDad like this.
  19. Christopher Elliott

Christopher Elliott Registered

Well it seems a lot of times things are posted in 'General', when instead they should be posted in 'Support' or other, but that's Discord.
    We're going well off topic here actually ;)

Ari Antero likes this.
  20. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

If the bug I mention has been confirmed in Discord we are not offtopic.

If this is the official forum and some big claim is made here, the answer should go in the official forum. Spreading the information is certainly not the way to go.
    Many of the complains are exactly due to this reason.

At the moment it seems that people are asking for help and support in three different platforms. Here, discord and, don't forget, steam forum.

Are we supposed to be checking all platforms to keep informed about things?

F1 2004 and Juergen-BY like this.