DX11 sudden stuttering

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by Inactive user 0001, Aug 18, 2017.

1. I am running DX11 Beta and running on default settings it has been running silky smooth with fps in between 120-160. But now it can start to stutter very irregular whenever I drive.
    For now I have been driving RaceFactor Spa 2013 and Porsche 799 from Apex GT3 mod and as I said it has run silky smooth while looking really nice still in default.
    This stutter comes regardless if I drive on- or offline, with other real drivers, AI or alone on track.

My system is a fully updated i5 660k, 16Gb DDR4, NVidia 1060 6Gb, Windows 10 Home 64 and a Logitech G920. The system are incredibly clean as I did a full reinstallation and update last week and system and rF2 are on separate SSD disks.

Could it be some caching error that have a folder that is in need of emptying?

vegaguy5555 likes this.
  2. Jon

Jon Registered

This has been discussed on countless threads, many of which have since sadly been locked. I also have the same problem, what I've noticed is the following:

1. Windows Update was certainly responsible for at least one major stuttering attack I experienced. I know this because I exited and saw that Windows Update was currently updating (you can see this in the settings menu). You can reduce the chance of an update during a race by doing a manual check from within the settings menu an hour or so before you plan on racing; it's unlikely to do an automated second check on the same day.

2. Stuttering could be caused by debris. Unlike Assetto Corsa and iRacing crashes cause physics-based debris which have to be calculated by the CPU. Consequently, the more crashes and the more debris lying around (which include hay stacks) could affect the CPU load to cause it to stutter. However the debris and the interactable environment are one of rFactor's greatest strengths. Hopefully they could be optimised further, but I hope they never get removed.

3. Background tasks seem to be a big contributer to stuttering, remove or disable as many non-essential processes as possible. There are several game boosters available that do this, the one I'm using is Wise Game Booster, which is simple and bloat-free. But I suspect there are better ones available.

4. The stuttering is apparent on both low and high end machines. Type in Google "rfactor 2 stuttering" and you'll realise how widespread this issue is. It may not happen to everyone now, but I don't believe any one can be sure it won't, at some point, happen to them.

5. The stuttering happens often at seemingly random times, usually an indicater is when the purple bar is maxed out, but not always.

The developers must be aware of this, although there hasn't, as far as I know, been any official feedback on this matter. It affects some, while others it does not. It's still in beta, and the developer's silence could suggest that they are working hard to get this fixed.

Also try setting the graphics like the anti-aliasing and anisotropic filtering from within your graphics card control panel rather than from within rFactor. I read on one post that it fixed the problem, though I'm yet to try it and not totally confident of its success.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2017
  3. Amanda Santini

Amanda Santini Registered

Probably not. This happens regardless if you have an AMD or Intel processor, and regardless if you have an AMD or NVIDIA GPU, and regardless if you delete everything and re-install rf2. To me, rF2 is still not well optimized, which is not uncommon in a Beta stage but also happens on DX9 IIRC, so there's definitely something going on.

4. MuriloAssenato

MuriloAssenato Registered

Anyone know when we will have GID with DX11 support?

5. I used the game booster that came with my Asus graphic card and it seem to have solved the problem. Not sure how or why but now the stutter is gone after a reboot even without using the game booster again. Thank you for your advice, help me a lot! :)

vegaguy5555 likes this.
  6. patchedupdemon

patchedupdemon Registered

I experienced this too,dx11 has worked flawlessly from the start for me and the only time I've experienced any stutter was every time windows 10 updat d with a new build.
    The fix for me was to disable superfetch and the user experience telemetry service in,windows services.
    This fixed it every time,the last time it happened I noticed at least 4 Xbox services had switched back on,so I disabled them and again I'm back to being bitter smooth.

Superfetch and windows user experience telemetry was causing stutters for many in iracing to .

Alexandr Meshkov likes this.
  7. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

I am seriously considering reverting to W7. W10 is only giving me hedaches and it is a variable which seems impossible to control.

The lack of respect of Microsoft to their users is astonishing. Prompting the blue screen indicating that the system is ready to update while I am racing is unacceptable.

patchedupdemon and Jon like this.
  8. Jon

Jon Registered

They completely dominate the market and have done since I was a teenager, this is the result, they can do as they please. Reading the Microsoft official forums is painful, when asked why Cortana cannot be permanently removed they just respond ''It's an integral part of Microsoft and cannot be removed'". Always this same kind of response for everything.

Windows 10 has only given me headaches as well, but it's said games run better in Windows 10 than Windows 7. The latter was the last perfect Windows, but reverting back is likely to cause even more headaches. I did pretty much what Patchedupdemon did, remove all the telemetry and spying tools. It fixed the problem 90%. I never more got stuttering while practicing or racing the AI. But on two occasions on the second and third lap of a twenty plus online race I got mild stuttering, when checking the replays I noticed a lot of cars were crashing with debris everywhere at the same time I was getting stuttering, albeit quite mild and controllable.

But last night I got terrible stuttering again when just doing qualifying with the AI, perhaps Windows 10 is rolling out another update. Usually when they do an update they do it in several batches.

Linux is the only viable option, but I imagine you'll get all kinds of compatibility problems. Windows 7 could be an option, but I think first try that link I posted and disable automatic Windows Updates. I don't believe Windows 7 even had automatic updates. I'm sure it's root cause, followed closely by the telemetry, of the stuttering.

Also SPASKIS, check that the updates are being successfully installed, you need to click the Update History link on the settings page. It often says Failed to install, in which case it'll keep trying until it does.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2017
    patchedupdemon and SPASKIS like this.
  9. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

I really dont think that going back to W7 will be much of a problem for the probably ranking short life of my system.

I have a huge problem with the system being unable to update to Creator Update (1703) for about three months already.

I have got in contact with Microsoft Support in order to get help. So far no success after over three hours of work from a Microsoft Engineer. I didn't have time to complete all the checks since I had to leave for vacation.

I decided not to take my laptop on vacation. I will not travel with a laptop trying to continuosly 3GB of update. They haven't even still figured out that it can be kept in a folder.

I can't bear so much incompetence.

10. Amanda Santini

I am 100% able to assist you into making Windows Updates work only when YOU want, if you'd like that :) PM me and I'll create a thread here.

not_him_59, Jon and SPASKIS like this.
  11. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

Very much appreciated @Amarildo Junior. I'll get to you when I get back home from holidays next week

12. Amanda Santini

Already done it :p You can check it out here.

SPASKIS and Jon like this.
  13. scalino

scalino Registered

it's quite easy to put some batch file on your desktop like "stop busy services.bat" for ex. in which you put these lines:

net stop "Windows Search"
    net stop "Windows Update"

it'll take care of most stuttering issues due to windows' services f*** with your mind. Just doubl-click on it before getting into a race or serious pratice session...

I recommend adding any Windows' service that you don't need during races (mine are mostly in French, but things like 'Wacom Professional Service", "SSDP Discovery", "HomeGroup Listener", etc...).

14. Obbzy_XR_

Obbzy_XR_ Registered

If someone could do a cut down version of Windows 10! Get rid of ALL the bloatware & reinstate operator control.
    I, for one, would buy it, just to be rid of Microsoft's/Windows' autocratic control...

SPASKIS likes this.
  15. Amanda Santini

As a veteran Linux user (since at least 2004), I disagree. You can either chose to use the distro's libraries, ship your own libraries, or use Steam's runtime which makes things so much easier.
    So you're not only free from Microsoft, but you're free from DirectX, proprietary drivers, and so on. And you get a stable and secure system.

If the port of the game is well done (e.g. Dota 2, X-Plane 10/11, Team Fortress 2, Dirt Rally, Metro Last Light, etc), the game either runs with very comparable performance to Windows, or runs better, as noted here, here, here (see Vulkan results), here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, and here.

But considering Linux only has ~2% market share, it would make more sense to @Studio397 to port rFactor 2 to Mac first. Then the port to Linux would be a walk in the park.

But sadly, here's what I see happening: most ports are rushed. The result? A game that has 50% performance if compared to Windows. An example would be Counter-Strike Global Offensive, or Euro Truck Simulator 2.
    Unfortunately the low market share results in a small budge for porting the games, so not much optimization is done. And seeing as rFactor 2 has other priorities, I don't believe it will be ported to Linux at any time soon, if at all.
    It does, however, run pretty great on WINE as seen here and here :p

Jon likes this.
  16. Amanda Santini

There is one. It's called "Windows 10 Enterprise LTSB", though I'm not sure how you'd acquire a licence for that.

17. Jon

Jon Registered

Looks interesting but I read in the test results no Force Feedback support. Maybe within the next decade Linux will be a strong competitor of Windows, but at the moment it seems a lot of work and technical knowledge is required. I'm still pinning my hopes on a Google OS, never had any problems with Android or any Google service. That being said monopolies are never good for the consumer.

In any case I've not had any stuttering after following your post. Was driving the Brabham against the AI at Monaco '66. I set the time for 5pm because Monaco always seems too bright, then saw the vintage street lights come on. I tried it again setting the time at 9pm and it looks absolutely beautiful. Never seen a race track as beautifully made as that. Bit of a framerate killer though but was perfectly drivable in the old Brabhams even without headlights.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2017
    Amanda Santini likes this.
  18. Amanda Santini

Good to hear I've been helpful! :)
    Racing with no stutter is good, huh? hehehe

About FFB on Linux.

Just as with other OS, manufacturers are the only ones who provide drivers with all the functionality, while not taking too long to develop.
    It is possible to have native FFB on Linux with, I believe, this package. While Logitech themselves don't support Linux (they don't make drivers for Linux), the community has to take over and do something. It should be easy for the community to repackage this driver in the most common formats: .deb, .tar.gz, .rpm, .tar.xz, etc, for use in any Linux distro with a one-click install (considering such distro has a GUI package manager); it should be even easier with the help of FLAT packages now.
    I'm not sure why this driver isn't in mainline Kernel yet, but I believe either the author didn't submit the drivers up for review, or the code isn't of good quality to enter the Kernel.
    According to a person who wrote the G920 driver for mainline Kernel, there is a multi-compatibility driver in the works, but I didn't have the chance to test it myself as I had to move to Windows because of how the Unreal Store works. I did test the native driver in Kernel 4.9 on Debian Stretch, but FFB didn't work on ETS2, unfortunately.

In any case, it's still easy to have FFB working via WINE if you install the Logitech drivers through there, the install process is exactly the same as it is on Windows.

And here is an example of iRacing running on Linux with FFB working.

Jon likes this.
  19. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

Have you checked with e.g. GPU-Z, if you`re system is using PCIe 3.0 x 16? I have seen in some systems, that more than one SSD may avoid the 3.0 x 16 usage for the GPU. Afaik your built in CPU supports just one 3.0 x 16...

20. ceecee

ceecee Registered

@SPASKIS,
    In order to install Creators Update (1703), try this (which has worked at most of my clients with this problem).
    1. Restart computer.
    2. Run CCleaner.
    3. Empty C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download
    4. Run Windows Update Troubleshooter as Administrator (https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4027322/windows-windows-update-troubleshooter)
    5. Run Windows Update again. (1703 download and install can "hang" a few times but just let it run.)
    6. If an error occurs then run sfc /scannow in an elevated command window (as Administrator) and rerun the above.

SPASKIS likes this.