Anyone have a BENQ XR3501?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by LokiD, Aug 16, 2017.

1. LokiD

LokiD Registered

2. Ari Antero

Ari Antero Registered

John and bwana like this.
  3. LokiD

LokiD Registered

Massive difference than my original display. The curve gives this sense of things going past much more realistic.

If anyone is not taking the step to VR or triples try this and its only 390£ ebuyer!!

Last edited: Aug 25, 2017
    DJCruicky likes this.
  4. Eric Rowland

Eric Rowland Registered

I went from 22" Dell triple monitors to the BenQ XR3501 and haven't looked back. I was mildly concerned about not being able to get a wide field experience and not being able to see my mirrors but worries were unfounded. Super smooth simming and the screen is wide enough for me. I got mine from BenQ refurbished for $600 with 1 yr warranty. The best purchase I've ever made.

LokiD and Ernie like this.
  5. Ernie

Ernie Registered

I also have a XR3501 and i'm absolutely happy with it. The smooth 144Hz feel great. And for me the 35" are big enough to drive with correct FOV even on a single monitor.

LokiD likes this.
  6. LokiD

LokiD Registered

do you guys get tearing with Vsync off? having some mild tearing/mild stutter even at highish fps under 144fps in rf2.

Doom/resident evil are the only games that i dont get tearing with Vsync off and high fps.?!

However put fast sync on and rf2 is really smooth.! Same res with AMS too and even AC although AC with sync off doesnt stutter and tear as much as RF2 and AMS.

7. bwana

bwana Registered

I wish they where that cheap here in OZ . $1200 yikes ! Look great though

8. TheGrunt

TheGrunt Registered

Just a couple of things to consider:

All the MVA panel monitors do have considerable ghosting in certain conditions and panels are considerably slower compared to TN or IPS screens. MVAs do have terrific contrast and black levels instead. Both are just a matter of a design choices. I have seen few MVA monitors in gaming conditions and some (like Acer Z35 which may or may not have the same panel with XR3501) are just awful. This is not necessarily a dealbreaker, but I recommend that if there is a possibility to see the monitor in action before the purchase with few of your favourite games is certainly a plus.

Also, 35" with a 1080p is just something that I personally wouldn't purcahse anymore. Pixel density with XR3501 is even slightly worse than it is with 27" 1080p, which in itself is just bad. On the positive side, low resolution is easy on the system and high FPS can be easily achieved even with a low end computer. On the other hand, you can run 1440p today easily with a mid-end machine. Again, not necessarily a dealbreaker, simply personal preference, much like the previous point. Again, best if can be seen before the purchase.

XR3501 is curved. A lot. If you plan on doing something where you need to fiddle with straight lines (modeling, CAD, etc.), then just forget this monitor (or any curved monitor for that matter). I have Acer Predator X34 which has only slightly curved screen and even it can be sometimes infuriating.

In general ultrawides are terrific monitors in my opinion. I went from triples to ultrawide and haven't looked back. It is more simpler and generally usable. Some modern games may have difficulties with these 21:9 resolutions, but to a greater extent, support is nowadays just fine. None of the racing sims I know have any problems with 21:9.

For that price XR3501 isn't necessarily a bad purchase. On the other hand, for the pretty close the same price you can find 16:9 IPS 1440p screens, which would be my choice for the roughly 400€ price point (at least on discounts). IMO the best option is to save some money and buy a 1440p 21:9 IPS monitor with a FreeSync or G-sync depending on the favourite GPU brand. You get terrific colour levels, decent contrast, fast screen, sharp resolution (desktop is also a joy to use because of the real estate) and g-sync/freesync are an icing on the cake.

9. LokiD

LokiD Registered

cheapest 3440 Display in th UK from a respectable dealer is almost 600£. I don't have issues with the resolution and am able to max at games with over 100 Fps. I rather have that IMO. That went into my final decision to get this great monitor. "they all have negatives"

10. TheGrunt

TheGrunt Registered

True and most likely even more with g-sync. I said that you can get 16:9 IPS 1440p monitor for the price of XR3501. I'd take that 16:9 option, but that's just me of course.
    With a decent system 100FPS@1440 is no brainer in most solutions. I get 100FPS most of the time in rF2 settings pretty much maxed out. Depending on the track and car used, it may drop to around 70FPS or so with 25-40 AI cars on start. FPS fluctuation is not much an issue with g-sync, and that's why I think it is worth every penny.
    I didn't say that XR3501 is bad. "They all have negatives" is little bit wrong, because different panel technologies have been developed with different features in mind: TN is cheap and extremely fast sacrificing viewing angles and IQ, MVAs have terrific black levels and contrast sacrificing pixel transition speed, IPS is more like an allrounder with close the TN speed, good colour reproduction and decent contrast and so on. There is no technology (at least currently) that can be absolutely best in all aspects. However, I wanted to make the point about MVA panel slow black to white transitions clear, because it is an inherent "feature" of the MVA and people may not necessarily be aware of it.

As I said, anything I mentioned isn't necessarily a dealbreaker depending on the preferences, but more than that one of my main messages was that if you are going to throw several hundred of pounds or equivalent (or even more) on a monitor, which you are most likely going to use several years, it is really good to try to see the monitor live before the purchase and also consider the future use (like resolution and curved screens problems in some productivity use). Back in the day when I was choosing my ultrawide, my main contenders were Asus P34Q and Acer X34, but also wanted checked out Z35, because it was still couple of hundred euros cheaper than those IPS-panel 1440p displays. Options were few, because I wanted g-sync in my ultrawide. All three were still pretty common and could be easily found on a display stands on a couple of electronics stores. In the end there wasn't much difference between X34 and P34Q and I took the Acer which was a bit cheaper (both use same panel, but there is always some lottery how good you get in yours). Purchase is easy and safe when you've seen them how they perform. If some friend owns one of the desired monitors, it is even better, because it usually gives a possibility to test some favourite games with a monitor.

You asked opinions about about XR3501 and I tried to give some food for thought and general things to consider before making monitor purchase.

Edit: I just noticed that you've already made the plunge and thread was actually started a while a go, so I'm just happy you are happy with your purchase :)

bwana, Ernie, LokiD and 1 other person like this.
  11. LokiD

LokiD Registered

i appreciate your opinion you obviously know your stuff. I did go for the benq as i read some reviews from people who mainly plays sims. Isrtv etc

12. bowen

bowen Registered