Released NEW! Radical SR3 RSX 2017 - Now Available!

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by Christopher Elliott, Jul 1, 2017.

1. patchedupdemon

patchedupdemon Registered

Setup by the by,and probably supplied that way to be noob friendly

2. MarcG

MarcG Registered

The standard setup won't suit everyone, nor can S397 release a setup to please everyone therefore a middle ground has to be found and that's what you get with a default setup, some will find it poor whilst others will find it alright.
    The idea is to then work out what's "wrong" with the setup for your own personal driving style on your chosen track and then adjust accordingly, same with any car release whether it's official or unofficial.

3. LokiD

LokiD Registered

so has anyone actually figured out what the grainy ffb is about..? as my previous thread got shut..

Guimengo likes this.
  4. Comante

Comante Registered

If someone took the time to look at the car, it would seem it is engineered to work like that. The rear wing is very behind the rear axle, and despite the whole carbody and underbody generate load with speed, it is quite apparent that this load shift back as you gain speed. This car is not designed to be driven by the most talented pilots on earth, quite the contrary, and this design make it quite safe and a good learning school.
    I've not messed with setup, but if I'm right, decreasing rear wing load should relatively increase front axle load, or at least decrease rear axle, making the car more sensitive to steering at speed.... but probably harder to drive.

5. not_him_59

not_him_59 Registered

haha, you must have had crossply on the fronts and radials on the rear. :p (which is what the law required when mixing them).

6. not_him_59

not_him_59 Registered

Yes but as we are talking racing cars here, then the base setup should surely have a nice front/rear balance, not understeer or oversteer. We are not talking IRL road cars which should come with understeer.

Christos Segkounas likes this.
  7. GuitarTech

GuitarTech Registered

As someone with real life racing experience, I just know it doesn't drive like it would in real life: I've not driven a Radical specifically, but I've driven MCR's and Caterhams, racing minis, and other touring racing cars. And I have 5 seasons experience with 250cc class 'bikes too.
    I can't imagine Radical setting the cars up with such amounts of understeer due to being safer for noobs: in real life, someone who buys a Radical has reached a certain experience level and has ambitions to get better. The handling should be slightly on the understeery side of neutral, maybe with a tendency to step out at the back in the wet when you overdo it. But people who buy a Radical as a trackday toy know that, we're not driving with miss daisy :D

8. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

The understeery default setup theory is not official. It is the argument that some are providing with no real proof about it.

We are also still waiting to hear about LH version weight balance.

Guimengo likes this.
  9. CamiloNino

CamiloNino Registered

So you have never driven one and yet you claim you know how it handles?

patchedupdemon likes this.
  10. MarcG

MarcG Registered

The base setup is what it is, a base setup, it doesn't really matter what it feels like as everyone needs to adjust it to their own driving style...it's really not hard to understand, treat the default as the word it is given...default!

11. peterchen

peterchen Registered

Oh dear,- setup is really such a dark matter for you guys??
    Rearwing two or three clicks down and understeer is as good as gone!
    Wasn´t that easy for any car I drove until now!
    Whiners with Angst about clicking a button? lol

patchedupdemon and MarcG like this.
  12. GuitarTech

GuitarTech Registered

OK, I'm 63 and I have enough real time track experience with a variety of vehicles to know approximatly how it should handle, and there is no way the Radical in rF2 is right.
    I've been driving long enough to know what I can demand from a car on corner entry, and the Radical is just wrong, believe me.

13. Comante

Comante Registered

Try do decrease rearwing load, then please tell us if you felt it more believable, because it's probably the only "issue".

14. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

I think if they have all data directly from manufacture + feedback from radical drivers + isi/s297 are very talented at sim cars
    we have to accept that its as close to the real thing as possible?

sometimes things are not as I expect but that doesn't make it wrong, just my train of thought

jayarrbee36 likes this.
  15. stonec

stonec Registered

Setup makes a huge difference in rF2. Tweaking things like rear camber and rear ARB can make a car from "oversteery" to "too easy", and it's all too easy to judge the car. ISI provided oversteery setups, S397 have taken the same direction as AC and some other sims and provide a beginner-friendly understeerish setup. That applies for the McLaren and the other recently released/updated cars as well.

16. patchedupdemon

patchedupdemon Registered

Yup,didn't take me more than 2mins to dial out the understeer with wing and rake adjustments only.

I've never driven one,but all mid engined cars in any quality sim,all display this tendency to understeer due to the weight not being at the front,when you couple that with the big rear wing and mid engine layout,understeer and snap oversteer are common place and make sense to me

17. Christos Segkounas

Christos Segkounas Registered

Radical is a handling mess.
    Yes, just my opinion.
    No, never driven the real thing.
    Yes, it understeers for me.
    Yes, I can drive around the understeer but hate to.
    No, reducing the rear wing doesn't make the front end positive, just reduces rear end grip, mostly at speed.
    No, positive front end doesn't mean oversteer, think formula and how they feel to understand the difference.
    Same for any chassis tuning, the front end will always be what it is regardless.
    Same with the McLaren, I can tune and drive around undrsteer but the character of the car is always the same, you can feel it.
    Understeer will still happen in a flash through driver error and the car is never happy to turn on the brake, whether it does so or not.
    "I think if they have all data directly from manufacture + feedback from radical drivers + isi/s297 are very talented at sim cars
    we have to accept that its as close to the real thing as possible?"
    You, maybe.
    Me, no.
    Most likely they threw in the data, gave it to their testers and manipulated the data based on their tester's feedback.
    At the end of the day, if you don't like it don't drive it, that's what I've been told.
    Well, tell you what, we had a sprint series with it when it came out.
    It was fun to do the races.
    Now that it's over the car is already forgotten.
    Absolutely no one remembers or mentions it in relation to any future series.
    So yeah, I don't get to drive it.
    And certainly do not miss it.

18. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

so even if a real life driver told you this is like the real car you wouldn't accept?

19. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

"A Radical responds like a single-seater, having the same precise, apex-hitting handling characteristics, along with light controls and powerful brakes, wet or dry."

"However much assistance you call upon, the front end of the RXC always feels pinned to whatever apex you choose to aim it at."

This second sentence refers to the SR8.

http://www.radicalsportscars.com/experience/track-days/

20. Daniele Vidimari

Daniele Vidimari Registered

So, am i the only one who doesn't feels any strange understeer, but a normal little one in slow corners? Silverstone Int, the first corner is flatout, the last chicane a bit understeering, everything normal in my side.