Released Zandvoort 2017 is now available!

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by Christopher Elliott, Aug 11, 2017.

1. MarcG

MarcG Registered

well there's two reasons for me:

1) A track would be pretty empty and honestly ghastly if it didn't have anything outside of the barriers, I can't imagine how poor the immersion would be if everything stopped at the barriers.

2) Real life drivers and myself included (as a sim driver) sometimes use Trees, Port-A-Loos, Grandstands, Telegraph Poles etc etc as braking markers, so they're not only important to the look of the track but also to the actual driving experience.

Alex72, Louis, Emery and 2 others like this.
  2. hitm4k3r

hitm4k3r Registered

Then it might be important to note for you that Zandvoort for rF2 was build using a LIDAR pointcloud. That a track is in beta doesn't mean that it isn't accurate in terms of the track surface. Also don't confuse your experience on Zandvoort in iRacing with the track experience in rF2, because the track was resurfaced recently where the iRacing version is several years old.

3. patchedupdemon

patchedupdemon Registered

We are not saying there should be nothing outside of the tarmac,it's just the sheer complexity of the surrounding of that track,it makes Monaco look like a sparce wilderness,all we are saying is,we wish they would release a simplified version,with less buildings etc

4. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Actually yes good to have some stuff there , long beach example vid above -everything is there but as a point cloud as the scanner detected it (it's just clusters of dots),
    I guess I mean it's fine if it's very simplified textures

I like all the complexity in the track

5. KernigWRC

KernigWRC Registered

source?

peterchen likes this.
  6. MarcG

MarcG Registered

So essentially your asking for less objects on Off/Low Track Detail then, understood.

Adrianstealth likes this.
  7. ceecee

ceecee Registered

8. KernigWRC

KernigWRC Registered

thx
    So Richard Hessel works for S397 and responds to questions at Racedepartment?
    Why does S397 not advertise Zandvoort as a laser scanned track then?
    (maybe Richard Hessels name on this forum is not Richard Hessel?)

It may all make sense and Im sorry for questioning so much but these questions still exist.

9. ceecee

ceecee Registered

Why would someone have to work for S397 ?
    In Holland there are loads of private contracters (LIDAR scanners maybe ?).
    Whatever, I think that a good job has been done on the track so far and I do like it.
    When I lived in Holland I visited Zandvoort on many occasions and the graphic surroundings in the track gives good immersion.

10. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

Reading his post at RD, leaves no open question for me. And yes, his name is @Richard Hessels , on that forum, too.

And why shouldn`t work a well known track artist not for s397? Cant get the logic behind your question...

11. stonec

stonec Registered

Laser scanning is mostly just marketing. NOLA for example isn't laser scanned but feels just as good if not better than this track. Also laser scanning of the surface doesn't mean the trackside objects are accurately represented.

12. KernigWRC

KernigWRC Registered

sorry about that
    but I still dont understand why s397 does not advertise it as THE FIRST OFFICIAL LASER SCANNED TRACK FOR RFACTOR2

Roadmap Update May 2017:
    "For us this is a great opportunity to share the first preview of our new Zandvoort track, which will be coming to rFactor 2. We’ve included a few early screenshots which show our progress with the track and we are very pleased that we can also announce that we’ve obtained an official license for it."

Roadmap Update July 2017:
    "Many of you saw our rendition of Zandvoort at the Max Verstappen days. Since then, we have optimised and further enhanced the track. Like the McLaren above, Zandvoort will be used in the World’s Fastest Gamer competition and will be released as a free addition. Check out some screens below!"

no word of laser scanning

13. Emery

Emery Registered

The gaming public usually doesn't think of aerial lidar as "laser scanning" because the point cloud density is significantly lower than that achieved through driving a mobile laser scanning vehicle around a circuit (or using stationary on-site laser scanners).

All of Holland is publically available as an aerial lidar scan... about 0.5 to 1.0 meter resolution between points as I recall, though it varies depending on the date of the scan. A mobile laser scanning vehicle, on the other hand, will produce a point cloud with 20x better resolution. Partly due to iRacing's marketing, gamers are thus not inclined to think of aerial lidar scans as being the same as "laser scanning", despite the fact that track artists will throw away the majority of points in the process of turning them into polygons such that aerial lidar resolution produces essentially the same end result.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2017
  14. KernigWRC

KernigWRC Registered

ah ok, thanks for explaining
    makes sense

15. hitm4k3r

hitm4k3r Registered

We got a BINGO here! People mostly don't have an understanding of laserscanning itself and most people will never understand that a pointcloud of that resolution can be just as accurate for a game that uses a track resolution as big as most sims do.

16. ceecee

ceecee Registered

I am a private contractor.
    I do work for my clients, I do not work for my clients.
    i.e. They pay me per project, they do not pay me a monthly salary (that would be nice). ;)

17. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

laser scanned track surface then developers skill to fuse the virtual surface to match the point cloud creates a fantastic experience
    (stuff off the actual track is secondary / visual -although a lot of this is also part of the cloud )

some tracks though like the Japanese tracks in iracing although laser scanned the surface is pretty smooth/lifeless -perhaps its the way they lay down the tarmac over there? although as they are lasered there's no questioning layout/corners/cambers/inclines/declines

looking forward to rfactor2 releasing laser scanned tracks, initially as a "tech" track as in the long beach vid if they must release early (I actually tech tracks)

18. David Wright

David Wright Registered

You are assuming that you drive on the polygons in sims with laser scanned tracks.

19. Emery

Emery Registered

I don't know about iRacing(*), but AC uses an invisible polygon mesh for theirs while displaying much coarser polygons for the player to visualize. The ISI-derived systems (AMS, R3E, pCARS) are going to use polygons because I don't think there's collision detection for points in the ISI engine.

(*) It can assumed, however, that iRacing isn't going to use the full point density for their racing surface because there isn't enough bandwidth to stream that to the client.

Edit: Technically, it doesn't matter whether the mesh is points or polygons because polygons are defined as 3 points. Therefore to calculate collisions, it is easier to consider the mesh because your tire has to penetrate plane defined by three points in order for a collision to be detected.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2017
    Adrianstealth and Juergen-BY like this.
  20. FS7

FS7 Registered

Maybe this is a dumb question, but why is Zandvoort at the top of the track list & Alabama Superspeedway at the bottom?
    Shouldn't the tracks be listed in alphabetical order?

jayarrbee36 and Mauro like this.