Vive is unusable outside of this game, after installing the beta.

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by Gandorf, Aug 9, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Gandorf

Gandorf Registered

Hi everyone,

When I tried out the beta with my vive, everything worked fine in game. The second I closed the game and SteamVR opened automatically, it would lag like CRAZY. Right eye would flicker, computer would completely bog down to 1 fps until I closed SteamVR.

If I turn on my pc, open steam for the first time for the day, and launch SteamVR by the controllers, I get the same thing.

I've tried
    * Uninstalling both, then reinstalling SteamVR only.
    * ReInstalling rFactor 2 with no beta, then reinstalling SteamVR.
    * Reinstalling rFactor 2 again with no beta, and tried the current SteamVR I had installed, then went into rFactor 2 again to see if there wasn't any lag in game, and there is NOT.
    * Updating video card drivers with a fresh install. I am now on 384.94.

**rFactor 2 in VR works fine even after all of this testing, but regular VR use within steam is totally laggy and unusable.**

Does anyone have any ideas for me to try? It sounds like rFactor 2 took over some files or settings or something.

Thank you!

Specs-

Windows 8.1
    i7 6700k Skylake
    16GB of RAM
    GTX 970
    Asus E3 PRO GAMING V5

2. elbo

elbo Registered

I have a rift and have a very similar problem. Other SteamVR games are a stutter-fest after leaving RF2
    Rebooting is the only solution.
    Also RF2 disables VR desktop in steamVR.
    It appears that RF2 is not playing nice with steamVR.

3. Christopher Elliott

Christopher Elliott Registered

Do you mean the VR "dashboard"?

4. elbo

elbo Registered

dashboard, yes that is what is disabled, sorry for the confusion.

5. Gandorf

Gandorf Registered

Hey, so I ended up fixing this really late last night.

It appears rFactor 2 was doing something funky with Super Sampling and maxing it out when I would quit the game. If I went back into the game, it would set it up correctly. (This was in the SteamVR settings. What I did to make it permanently not do that was to restart my PC, open SteamVR and move the setting around, quitting, going back in just to give it a bit of a "refresh". And once I did that it stopped changing it.

If it still does it, try grabbing another rFactor 2 beta download. Wait for it all to update, then go back to the DX11 beta, check the super sample, and try some steam games.

For your dashboard not working, I followed this guide:

Go to steam>steamapps>common>steamvr>tools>bin>win32 then make a short cut for vrdashboard.exe and move the shortcut to your desktop, you can then right click and run as admin when you have your vive booted up.

After you do this you might also see it in the "Applications" (i think, not at pc) section of the SteamVR settings. Then you can click the check box. Also I believe there is a setting somewhere to enable it as well, i'd double check that. Mine kept getting reset too.

Hope this helps!

Attached Files:

6. Gandorf

Gandorf Registered

Also have no idea where that attachment came from...I went to paste the text and it did that. Sorry!

7. Tepescovir

Tepescovir Registered

do you use nvidia as the last drivers that worked without stuttering was 282.53 All driver since have issues. I even did a full wipe and reinstall of my system to try and fix it, then I installed the older 282.53 and instantly all fixed with nice smooth gameplay back.