Creating and installing a track surface (rrbin) in rFactor 2

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by guod, Jan 24, 2016.

1. guod

guod Registered

2. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

Great informative guide. Any plans of putting this up as a Steam guide as well?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. guod

guod Registered

Yep.

4. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

Neat. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

:cool:

Good to explain to novices that " Green" does not mean the same thing as the term used to describe real tracks conditions.

Green in rF2 = No Grip

Light rubber is more like minimum level of grip you would feel.

6. Gevatter

Gevatter Registered

Stupid question time!

Does the track rubber in where I actually drive my car or does it always rubber in the racing line set in the track file?

I know, those two should ideally be the same, but for instance on Silverstone, out of Brooklands and into Luffield (corners 6 to 7), I like to take a much more generous left swing whereas the AI goes more or less straight on the right track side. Now if I do private testing - no AI cars - on a naturally progressing track setting, does it actually rubber in my left swing? The optical clues, like rubber markings in the corners and braking zones suggest the racing line gets rubbered in regardless of where I'm driving, but thats not necessarily what happens on the physics side.

7. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

The track rubbers in exactly where you drive. :)

The reason some people think that it is a predetermined line is because of the AI, who (when not in traffic fighting for position) will stick to the fast path defined by the AIW.
    So if you have 20 AI running the fast path, and only yourself running some slightly different lines, it'll take a ton of laps for those different lines to become as rubbered as the regular fast path is.

That's why it's recommended to use race sessions to create good real Road profiles, because the AI will use more of the track than they do in practice or qualifying.
    In the race they will use the block path often, which will create more variety in the rubbered lines on the track, and provide more grip for you as well if you want to go off the racing line to do some overtaking. :)

Ideally you'd want 20 human players on track for a good while to create a really nice, organic real road profile.

8. Emery

Emery Registered

Slightly laborious method, though it's a productive way to explore different cars on same track or learn a new track: 10x Realroad, no AI, drive one type of car for 10-20 laps, save RR, go get another type of car & load the saved RR, drive for another 10-20 laps... repeat until desired level of rubbering is created. Typically start with light rubber profile if one was provided with track.

I've not paid attention to how many laps it takes for marbles to show up, though it happens...

9. Tosch

Tosch Registered

10. Tuttle

Tuttle Technical Art Director - Env Lead

That method Hexagramme suggested is by far the best one you can follow to get a realistic, non pattern, rubber flow. With one good race, and more saves, you can create 2 or more nice intermediate status, as light, medium, heavy and saturated...as we do for official and 3PA tracks.

So yeah, it's worth it. :)

11. Gevatter

Gevatter Registered

Consider me amazed! And thanks for the video, nice demonstration.

12. argo0

argo0 Registered

Another method I've used, if you're short of time and want the AI to do it, is to have a large mixed field of something quick like Indy cars vs something slow that slides a fair bit like the Skippy maybe. Stick time acceleration on and you're done in a few minutes. Well rubbered and quite varied.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

13. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

+1

I can remember being the first to suggest running natural progression practice and restarting weekend.

This is how we rubberized Belgium from the very earliest builds in F3

I would do a run by myself with ai on server to get the tinge going.

Then we used to run long practice sessions 4-8 hours ( restart weekend )
    Even 2-4 drivers we would saturate Belgium and starting to lose a tenth or 2 a lap even though you pushed harder. hehehe

So every morning the fast guys would immediately start to rubber the gutter at Malmedy chicane entry among others.

Personally for visuals and training people I rather have decent rubber to start and very slow progression, 0.2x - 0.3x

Only thing wrong with that you can't have rain, atm track will never dry.

14. Cozza

Cozza Registered

I use two classes of cars to rubber in track. 1 fast, 1 slow. Forcing the faster AI to overtake the slower ones.

All I do is turn on AI control and watch.

15. Davvid

Davvid Registered

Hi
    I wonder if there is any way to programmatically create rrbin files? I'd like to lay same amount of rubber across the entire track (asphalt) in order not to start from 0% rubber everywhere. I believe some leagues use some kind of that method (25,50,75,100 % rubber profiles).

16. Miro

Miro Registered

In dev mode that is indeed possible. Once you load the % of rubber you want to have just save it like any other realroad.

17. delphinho

delphinho Registered

Hi,
    I'm currently trying to do that, but I wonder, where it is possible to increase the percentage of the rubber. So the idea is to have a green road without marbles, but the grip level across the whole track should already be for example 70%. In order to achieve that, do I need to change something in the .tdf files?

18. David O'Reilly

David O'Reilly Registered

One fairly good method is to join one AI in a session at say x10.
    He drives the fast line and you do the rest: defensive, attacking, wet line, alternative braking line, pit lane. You just "colour in" where he doesn't go.

19. delphinho

delphinho Registered

Thanks for your reply. To be honest, I'd like to avoid driving. I would prefer a programmatic way of creating it.