Released NEW! Radical SR3 RSX 2017 - Now Available!

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by Christopher Elliott, Jul 1, 2017.

1. Comante

Comante Registered

The problem is that you (like me) have not the knowledge to dictate if it's realistic or not, the difference between us is that you have preconceived ideas, and stick to them, while I have not. I've never raced a race car on a track, so I have no idea how it would feel. I accept what RF2 developer grant me as the best they can achieve. When I make aerobatics in the flight simulator I don't question the flight model, the physics is quite a well established science, I don't need to question it everytime. You decided that the radical must be driven on rails, and discovering that sliding around turns is faster, instead of make you reconsider your idea, make you reconsider RF2 credibility.
    Your choice.

MarcG likes this.
  2. Christos Segkounas

Christos Segkounas Registered

Let me remind you of my last post:
    "I do not know if that is realistic or not because I have not driven the real car but allow me to be very sceptical about it."
    Fair to say that this comment makes your whole post redundant?
    Did I mention anything about rails or did I mention in my previous post that you can slide most RF2 cars, within reason?
    Are you suggesting that they not be questioned, ever?
    Even by someone with 25 years of experience with driving, including some racing?
    When there is yet any positive feedback from actual racers to be seen?
    When we already have a ton of other cars out there for comparison?
    With countless of on board videos of actual Radicals on many different tracks by many different drivers to compare to?
    After all this I'm not even allowed to be even sceptical?
    Really?
    If you like it for what it is then thank you for saying so.
    I don't.
    Yeah, I'm that guy who doesn't suck up to anyone.
    We are here to exchange ideas, you don't like me not loving the Radical, I do not like you having absolutely nothing to say on the subject.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2017
    demerzel likes this.
  3. CamiloNino

CamiloNino Registered

Anyone who has not driven the real car in a real track should shut up about how it "should" feel. Everything else is simple and worthless speculation.

4. Christos Segkounas

I totally agree.
    That's why I haven't said a word as to how it "should" feel.
    Also think that everyone with preconceived ideas as to what they are about to read should clear their eyes and take the time to actually read.

5. patchedupdemon

patchedupdemon Registered

I've not driven the real thing but the characteristics mentioned sound like a low powered mid engined car to me,so I can at least speculate that it's doing what it should.

6. CamiloNino

CamiloNino Registered

I mean, I'm being purposely extreme with my statement. It wasn't directed at you specifically.

I'm talking more about the people in this thread and others that offer no real argument other than "I don't like it" or "shouldn't be like that because reasons".

If people are saying something like "based on the weight distribution of the car is reasonable to expect it to handle x or y way", or that base their observations in telemetry data and published stats of the car. I don't really have a problem with that.

But some people just go by their feeling, or what they think a car like that should be, or how hard/easy it should be to drive, just because that's what they are used to in simulators or what they think they see in video replays. Unless you really really know the car in real life that kind of opinion is worthless.

MarcG likes this.
  7. Christos Segkounas

It's called feedback from the player base.
    I made my personal observations and stated my racing experience with it plus things we have been discussing with fellow racers because,after all, I do race in a league against other people.
    You can take that for what it's worth.
    The car has failed to win me over for reasons stated in my post.
    Some didn't seem to like that and it escalated.
    Apparently it's becoming increasingly difficult to offer feedback around here.
    Interesting I got accused of having "preconceived ideas" by people ready to jump on me, or anyone like me.
    The best response I could get for my observations from the guy was "enjoy it for what it is".
    Yeah, well, thanks a lot, hard to think of that one myself.
    Glad you guys like it so much, too bad I have to wait for something else to come around that will wake up my competitive spirit and not have me jump into the race with 45 mins of practice just to have some fun with the fellas.

Guimengo likes this.
  8. MarcG

MarcG Registered

It's the old adage "you can't please everyone", some like it some don't, Studio397 can't cater for everyone.

Alex72 and bwana like this.
  9. Nimugp

Nimugp Registered

well, yes, but I think the "argument" is not wether someone likes it or not, but if it is realistic or not ;) And with probably little people with real racing experience, and even fewer iin this particular car, there are some who think it is right, and some who don't. No problem with that.

I'm pretty sure I know what @christos_Swc is talking about (since I was in the same race, although not so close to the front runners). During that particular race at Sepang (south loop) in the first two hairpins were driving as if it was a rally car. I'm not talking of a bit of oversteer, but really with pretty much locked rear wheels sliding it into the corner at a pretty big angle and than hit the throttle and of it went. I didn't see @christos_Swc mention that it in fact isn't realistic, just that he would find it hard to believe it is realistic. And with the driving I saw of some in that race, I would agree that it didn't look realistic. It was almost like looking how Sebastian Loeb, or Ogier, or Ken Block or any rally driver would take a hairpin in a rally car. And from all racing you see anywhere, that would seem highly unlikely to be the fastest way with such car on such track.

BTW, I (as well as him if I understand his posts correct) am not trying to bash this sim, or people who think it is correct, but probably more for for an answer as to if this behaviour of the car is correct, or what could explain it to possible be right, or if there is maybe a small error in either the basic physics or the car (and as good a job as Studio 397 are doing, everyone can and will make a mistake from time to time ;) ) which could than possibly be corrected to make a great sim even better. Seriously guys, not everytime someone asks if something is right or wrong it is an attack on this game, there are lot's of people who ask those questions to try and make it even better!!!

And for what it is worth, I do really enjoy the car myself ;) Can't wait for the update though, so that the AI get a balanced performance to the player car.

10. Depco

Depco Registered

One thing to consider is that the driver of the sim version of the car does not have to take into consideration tire cost or replacement. The sim driver is free to abuse the car as much as possible and not be concerned if he is breaking hardware or equipment. Perhaps driving through the corner in a drifting/rally style is simply the faster way of doing it in the sim. It could actually be faster in the real world too, but real world drivers and racing teams must consider the cost of equipment and drive accordingly.

peterchen likes this.
  11. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

Sorry but explain how realistic is then if tires survive ingame what real tires won't? In rF2 you typically can't forget about the tires in order to be competitive...
    Someone gets to heat rear tires so that they run at official handbook recommended 2 bar? Starting pressures are the recommended ones(1,5 front-1,4 rear) but I am unable to get rear tires above 1,7 bar. Probably my driving is crappy. However, watching a Youtube video of Radicals at Spa, my driving lines and lap times were not two different to real ones.

12. Christos Segkounas

That's exactly why I hesitate to use the word "unrealistic" to anything I haven't driven.
    It's far easier to engage in rally driving with a track car in the safety of your chair,and explore the possibilities with no ill effects, there's always a chance the real thing can be driven like that as well, but at great risk.
    I do not think that tire wear would stop people from attempting to exploit an advantage , if not on a constant basis then at least in qualifying or in critical situations, if it were viable.
    I drove my kart exactly like that in very slippery conditions where the lack of torque from the small 2-stroke engine could be masked, lock the brakes on entry and drive through the corner solely on the throttle, no steering input.
    Was actually my favorite technique, except when the track got any grip it wasn't viable any more.
    But we are talking big toys here.
    I so wish we could at some point get some feedback from the real racers.
    However, I also wish I could get to drive the Radical in a more traditional way, do not care in engaging in any sort of unconventional or special techniques to make the car work, but once I find out any such technique is quicker through a corner I cannot un-find it... :O

Last edited: Aug 1, 2017
  13. Christos Segkounas

0.3 bar is too big a difference to attribute to "crappy driving", in my experience.
    Out of curiosity, have you tried overheating the tires and what sort of pressure did you manage to get then?

14. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

Not in Spa.

However, I did try drifting in Interlagos at turns 8 and 9. There using first gear so that the car drifts seems to be the quickest. Being low speed curves in descent, the car doesn't want to turn otherwise.

Tonight at 2215 GMT+2 we have a two leg event precisely at Interlagos with the Radicals. Some of you may want to join ;).
    Participation is free up to 30 spots.
    http://www.hlssim.com/hotlaps/Circuito.aspx?id_track=8926&id_comunidad=2&id_campeonato=3144

15. bwana

bwana Registered

Agree about possibly faster , the Loeb reference probably indicates just that

16. Uff

Uff Registered

Is there any news on an update to fix the terrible rattling this car produces as soon as it starts moving?

moev and tpw like this.
  17. Alex72

Alex72 Registered

Was the AI fixed yet?

18. Magus

Magus Registered

Not yet :(

bluet likes this.
  19. Scoopscat7

Scoopscat7 Registered

As part of the update can you look at what is allowed in fixed setups?

Unless I'm missing something you can't change fuel level with locked setups which seems a bit odd? Also when pitting you get a full tank as you can't change the level in the pit menu?

Tyre pressure are locked as well which seems odd, not sure I've seen that in other mods?

Would be good if we could match the genuine series rules and have mandatory pit stops of a specified time including sucess seconds.

http://www.radicalsportscars.com/wp...12/regs-radical-challenge-2017-issue-one1.pdf

20. GuitarTech

GuitarTech Registered

As far as I'm aware, they had real world data from radical to work with: if that's the case, how did it turn out to be such a dog? The standard setup has more understeer than a Morris minor ;), as well as all the other things that're wrong with it, doesn't anybody beta test any more these days?
    Does anybody have any idea when they're going to patch it? Maybe as a package with the new UI? But when?