rFactor 2 and McLaren - World’s Fastest Gamer!

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by Christopher Elliott, May 23, 2017.

1. stonec

stonec Registered

Realroad effect is car specific, it's set in the tire files. I suspect with recently released cars it's more like 2 seconds rather than 4.

2. David O'Reilly

David O'Reilly Registered

Don't be so sure.
    Next time you watch a weekend of F1 make a note of the first laps in FP1 versus the last ones in FP3. Even removing the qualifying simulation runs there is a significant difference. 4 sec is not rare as the rubber goes down.
    A quick look will show 2 sec between lap times from FP1 to FP3 but they are the fastest laps in the FP sessions and even after 90 mins in FP1 there are say 20 laps per car or 400 or so in total. The early laps in FP1 are slower.
    https://www.pitpass.com/44927/

Last edited: Aug 12, 2017
  3. David O'Reilly

I found GT3 lap times at Silverstone of 1:58 (M/Benz AMG).
    Its not for sure that the physics of the car or track are so wrong (by a whopping 1 sec).
    Imagine that the guy in the real GT3 was unable to be hurt, had say 20 more spare cars in case of crashes, and had say 400 sets of tyres to use. Could cook his engine with 100% tape. Only ever run with 12 litres fuel. What his lap time would be. Imagine that the very best drivers in the world were there, up to 1000 of them.What lap time do you reckon he would have?
    My point is that in a simulation we can break the car dozens of times experimenting over the limit. Never get hurt, do 500 laps etc etc.
    That's our lovely opportunity in the sim world.

4. Mulero

Mulero Registered

Lap times between FP1 and qualifying are not comparable in F1. Differences are huge but have little to do with rubber on track. The cars always roll with many more liters in the tank, the engines are in low power mode and the drivers do not give 100% for a full lap, they always try not to show their cards.

In that link they talk about 5 sec. of improvement, but of those 5 sec. i doubt much more than 2 sec. are due to the rubber.

5. RNelson

RNelson Registered

Not sure if it is me or an error in the sim,. I have different key bindings for adjusting the seat up, down, fore, and aft. When I try and adjust the left mirror using CTRL-Down key it adjusts the mirror the same as if I use CTRL-Fore key. The only way I can adjust the left mirror view up/down is moving the seat which results in me being lower than I would prefer. Am I trying to adjust the mirror correctly?

6. Hparadine

Hparadine Registered

Are you saying the track cut works different with only 2 cars on track?
    I did most of my testing offline with 10 Ai ,then in the WFG server a few times
    Cheers

7. Skandepik

Skandepik Registered

I'm pretty sure that bwana meant 2 wheels on the track :D

8. Hparadine

Hparadine Registered

AH.. cheers mate. Lol

bwana likes this.
  9. bwana

bwana Registered

No sorry , l meant at least two wheels

Hparadine likes this.
  10. Emery

Emery Registered

Tonight's report comes a couple hours earlier than usual as I'm just a little too tired...

Median lap time is 1:38.47 for 338 entrants.
    • From 1:37 to 1:39, there are 92 people (27.2% of total).
    • To be in the top 10% of total entrants, you need a 1:35.57.
    • Hot on the heels of the top 20 are another 81 people (24.0% of total) strongly skewing the median.
    • 9 people are in the 1:34s (2.7% of total).
    • Top 20 are 1:34.43 to 1:35.39, still nearly a 1 second gap. However only three qualifiers from Round 1 have posted a time so far, the majority presumably concentrating on their Sunday race.
    upload_2017-8-12_18-36-17.png

Ari Antero likes this.
  11. green serpent

green serpent Registered

Okay I'm a bit late to the party but I finally reached my goal of a sub 2 min lap time using no assists. No idea how these guys are getting 58s and 57s, this took everything I had!

12. PLAYLIFE

PLAYLIFE Registered

I agree with you.

But as a whole experience it's a complete contradiction of simulation.
    Imagine a simulation experience where you do only have 1 car, limited tyre sets, have to take care of the car, not drive like a maniac otherwise you'll get banned etc.

That for me would be the ideal simulation and where I believe the sim world should be heading.

John likes this.
  13. David O'Reilly

Who is comparing FP1 to Quali? I even suggested disregarding quali simulations.
    From team to team fuel levels differ but in FP sesssions each car will normally run a constant fuel level to measure set up changes. This excludes quali sims and long runs.
    Not all teams sand bag. Williams is famous for it. Do you think RedBull did when Ricciardo went fastest in Hungary in all FP sessions?
    At any rate, You are welcome to your opinion.

Mulero likes this.
  14. David O'Reilly

I think thats what races are for. Thats how races are run. This was a quali session, a hot lapping session. Just about pure speed.

bwana likes this.
  15. Mulero

Mulero Registered

In the link that you put, compare the times of the FP1 with the qualification. Anyway I apologize to you as I did not see the part where you said you were disregarding quali simulations.

Even so, I think the same thing. F1 is 99% theater, all hide their cards and try to give as little information as possible to the rival. Big teams have hundreds of people analyzing all the data of the rest of the teams so it is quite logical that they hide as much data as they can.

Also keep in mind that in FP1 and FP2 the most important thing is to try new parts and make a good set-up for the race. Times are not important for this. In FP3 nothing is already tested, the last adjustments are made and the car is tested with load and one turn.

Another important point are the engines used. In FP1 and FP2 old engines are usually used at the end of their useful life. In FP3 the race engine is already used and although it is certain that they do not force it much, it probably gives a lot more power than the motor used in FP1 and FP2.

Too many variables to get something concrete. That there is improvement between sessions is obvious, but how much is due to the rubber and other factors is impossible to know.

PS: In Hungary we saw a RedBull doing theater, but the other teams still did more theater than them. Ricciardo could probably run faster and Ferrari or Mercedes could easily have stayed ahead of him if they had wanted him.

16. bwana

bwana Registered

So was Alonzo foxing ? Fastest lap on the day ? We will never know how fast Dan could have been in race trim but he does like and suit the track

17. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

If you watched the race, you would have seen that Vettel was struggling with car steering which was damaged for hitting the pianos. He was holding RAI which at the same time was holding HAM. They could have been doing more than 1 second faster. However it is clear that today's F1 suck. Ferrari and Mercedes are very difficult to overtake. I wonder if the T wing is an offensive or defensive arm. The rest of the cars at least had an option to overtake.

If you want good F1 rules you should ask to the engineers of the big teams. FIA has no idea what to do to enhance the show.

18. CamiloNino

CamiloNino Registered

So where is the info about the broadcasting of the race? If I'm right the qual for the race will start in less than an hour.

EDIT: looks like it will be on the Mclarenf1 youtube channel: https://twitter.com/BolukbasiCem/status/896698301684346880

Would be nice to have the info on this forum and on the S397 WFG page too.

Juergen-BY and Emery like this.
  19. Emery

Emery Registered

20. CamiloNino

CamiloNino Registered

So after digging on discord for an answer, it turns out the stream will be on facebook (I guess? Who knows..) at 21:30 BST, instead of 21:00 BST as posted on the official page

EDIT: Stream live on Mclaren youtube page too

Last edited: Aug 13, 2017