Frustrated

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Sittinhere, Jul 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ari Antero

Ari Antero Registered

Why don`t you file bug rapport or support question in technical forums. @Christopher Elliott is a great guy he helps you out :)

Jon likes this.
  2. Jon

Jon Registered

I use a laptop as well, and I was able to have some decent online races yesterday and I rarely get any problems when racing the AI (14 cars). Yesterday I decided to reduce the graphics and I did notice stuttering or micro-stuttering when the FPS was over or around 60-70fps, so I increased the graphics to make it run at around 50fps. Make sure it doesn't get so high, it's probable that the CPU can't keep up or the fan is overheating. You could also try, as a last resort, reducing the resolution. Also, type in Google high cpu usage Windows 10, there does appear to be problem as multiple people have mentioned it, but there are a number of fixes as well. I downloaded a file from GitHub called remove all spyware or something like that, but it will remove Windows Defender and you also get the option whether to disable automatic Windows Updates.

If you're still not happy then contact Steam and ask for a refund. Tell them that the specs advertised for the game are incorrect and ask them to search Google for rFactor 2 stuttering, they'll see many posts and video clips from various sites with the same issue, also link to this thread to show you've tried to fix the problem. They'll likely to issue a refund provided that you haven't asked for a refund for any other game before and they'll be able to see from this thread that you have done your best to fix the problem. Although officially it's a 2 hour window, they do occasionally make exceptions.

I know you probably don't want to do this as you're likely to want to play rFactor, but sometimes it's better just to avoid a headache. Alternatively, search for the spyware remover I mentioned (if you can't find it I'll send you the link).

As a final alternative, just wait for further updates for the DX11 build which may include new optimisation options. I was surprised yesterday to read that a few guys on the server are sticking with DX9 because of the stuttering issues, so I'm sure the developers are aware of these issues.

Guimengo likes this.
  3. Jon

Jon Registered

Yeah definitely do this as well, then post the results to help others in the same boat.

Guimengo and Ari Antero like this.
  4. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

@Dady Cairo
    If you change your laptop resolution to the one you will be using in rF2-dx11 at least it will look like if it was full screen.
    If you are using Windows Creators Update you might try under rFactor2.exe properties changing an option that has been mentioned for problems with full screen. It would be nice if someone can report about its perfomance. I will include the link when I find the thread. I cannot myself try it because my system is struggling to update to Creators Update.

https://forum.studio-397.com/index....windows-10-this-might-help.57340/#post-909149

5. Jon

Jon Registered

I found the Remove all spyware link:

https://github.com/Nummer/Destroy-Windows-10-Spying

Before doing it, make sure you first click the Disable Windows 10 Update otherwise once it's run it will start re-updating automatically. Also, check the Remove Metro apps which by default are greyed out because it's irreversible. Also, be warned that it will do things you probably won't understand. I actually ran it when I was a bit drunk then started to panic and so reactivated the Windows automatic updates, but everything is fine now. I may do it again without allowing the Windows Update option, as Cortana got reinstalled, and probably some other things when it updated itself. The computer will restart once it's done and reconfigure itself so don't be alarmed.

6. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

I run this game on medium-high setting with an i3 2100 and a r7 360 40 cars, 12 visible lol
    rF2 does run well on potatoes :D
    Would help a lot if @Marcel Offermans finally made mirror resolution an option.... in rF1 we could drop a lower res mirror file and make it happen, in rF2 for whatever senseless reason they are hardcoded into the mas, terrible idea if the modder adds 5k mirrors like Reiza did in AMS for example. Logic is not an strong ISI point ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

7. patchedupdemon

patchedupdemon Registered

Iracing uses just over 8gb ram on tracks like the nords,and roughly the same vram,so I can't agree with your statement that rf2 uses more than any other game.
    As complexity grows so does the burden on recourses,there's only so much optimising can do,the only way to stop higher usages of system recourses is not advance the sim.

Are you expecting the sim to advance and system usages to drop at the same time ?????

8. stonec

stonec Registered

iRacing also took close to five minutes just to load Nords the last time I tested it, which I consider unacceptable. AC loads Nords in 30 seconds and uses less than 1 GB of system RAM on Nords. I suspect iRacing has the same issue with duplicating of VRAM in system RAM as rF2, which is some DX9 feature. The only reason games should eat system RAM these days is if they pre-load stuff that doesn't fit inside GPU VRAM, like open world games as GTA 5 do. In rF2 and AC the tracks are built to fit entirely inside VRAM of 3 GB GPU's, so there should be no reason for large RAM and virtual RAM usage.

Regarding PCI-E usage, read this post. A GTX 970 is massively limited by PCI-E 2.0 bus in rF2. With a bit of guesswork, it's not hard to interpolate from this that GTX 1080 and upcoming Nvidia Volta cards are going to be bottlenecked by PCI-E 3.0, unless they release PCI-E 4.0 for it, or rF2 gets optimized more.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2017
  9. Dady Cairo

Dady Cairo Registered

Double agree to that!!!!!

C.Elliot is informed since the first Beta came out.He said,"we look into that".
    But nothing happend,not in the last Dev.Update.
    Refund not possible as i have about 100 hours gaming time...to find out issues.
    And i have Creators Update and NO Spyware on win 10.
    As i said,i only have massive unstable issues in RF2.
    And normaly,when i buy Software,i do not need 2 Hours to find out if it works right.
    So i played it at daytime till i saw the big FPS hit in nightraceing.Uhhaa...I was glad ,I had maxed out 60fps ,but only in 1280x720p.
    DC

10. patchedupdemon

I will find the video of gamersnexus explaining that today's video cards can not saturate pcie3.0,not even close with a single card,he has all this really scientific testing methodologies that will explain it more than I can,basically proves 3.0 is overkill and 4.0 is just a seeking point and not needed.
    And yes iracing does take ages to load the nords because for some ungodly reason it has to load every configuration they have,just so you can race on one config.
    But still 2mins to load that isn't drastically too long

11. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

You are forgetting the part about rF2 engine being bad optimized and that causes difference on PCI2.0 or 3.0, doesn't matter what can be overkill or not, rF2 is where the issue is

12. not_him_59

not_him_59 Registered

@Jon Finlay Could you be a bit more specific please. I would like to try what you did above but can't find anything on Github using your search terms.

13. stonec

stonec Registered

PCI-E being saturated doesn't cause unstability, all it causes is a bottleneck when you have lots of things going on on your screen, like AI cars, rain spray, etc. In fact DX11 runs a lot more stable for me than DX9 and doesn't have random stutterings.

That is true for every other game except for rF2, which the post I linked to from @DrR1pper and my own experiments here confirm. Anyway, I have said what I had to say about it, and PCI-E doesn't cause the issue that OP complained about.

14. Jon

Jon Registered

I believe it was this:
    https://github.com/Nummer/Destroy-Windows-10-Spying

But I downloaded from another site after following various posts on CPU optimisation. I can't be absolute sure it's the same version I used, and can't check until I get home. But I'm quite sure it is since the title is the same.

not_him_59 likes this.
  15. Ari Antero

Ari Antero Registered

It is so easy go to BIOS and change PCI-e@ 3.0x16 to PCI-e@ 3.0x8 and find out that PCI@3.0x8 has 30% lower performance in rF2.
    No video is needed ;)

16. F1Aussie

F1Aussie Registered

I run it with max settings.

17. Ari Antero

Ari Antero Registered

And what is our point ?

18. patchedupdemon

Ahh ok I see now I miss understood his reasoning

19. F1Aussie

F1Aussie Registered

there is no point, your previous post said no one runs it in max mettings and I just responded saying I do, so there is at least one person, lol.

20. Alex72

Alex72 Registered

Sounds interesting. Is it the "SetBuildTime.exe" you run?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.