New to rFactor 2 - several simple questions

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Amanda Santini, Aug 7, 2017.

1. Amanda Santini

Amanda Santini Registered

Hi there!

I just bought rF2 and I'm loving it! However, since I came from Assetto Corsa, it's quite a transition to make even though I'm very familiar with the likes of the ISIMotor, namely Race07 and all it's expansion and GTR2.

So here they go:

1 - Where is the best place to download MODS aside from the subscriptions of studio397 on Steam?

2 - Can I trust most mod sites out there?

3 - What is the most realistic pedal sensitivity? I realize that in real cars the e.g. brake pedal isn't linear, it needs more force to apply more pressure, so I don't expect to get 10% pressure if I press 10% of the pedal. For this reason, I set up my clutch to 200% sensitivity, and the brake/gas pedals to 0%. Is that OK? It felt like the gas is a little too sensitive if compared to Assetto Corsa, Copa Petrobras de Marcas, Race07, GTR2, etc.

4 - Tyre scrubbing. I've never seen such much tyre scrubbing. In fact, in early Assetto Corsa days, it was referred to as "the always drifting simulator" because no matter how much you turned you wheel, the tyres would scrub.
    I have found the same with the C7R, though a video of it showed me that this didn't exist one year ago on this car.
    EDIT: Already answered in the same video. He states he used around 40% on the volume slider.

Can I dial back the scrub noise?

5 - Assetto Corsa has "Apps". What's the equivalent on rF2?

6 - Real world weather. I've read about it somewhere. Does that actually exist? Is it supported by ISI/Studio397? Does it come in a .exe file, and if so, is it Digitally Signed?

7 - On Assetto Corsa there is a "Factory" setting for ABC and TC, which gives cars their natural (out of the factory) settings for these assists. Is there such thing on rF2?

8 - About F1. I love Formula one cars, I have bought all DLC for AC and I have 8 additional F1 cars for it. I read that rF2 can't simulate turbo or Hybrid cars, is that true?

9 - If the above isn't true, which is the best F1 MOD available? (preferably the 2017 year)

10 - Is there any user configuration done via the UI that modifies files outside of the "Userdata" folder? meaning if I delete that folder, it's like a brand-new rF2.

11 - How to know the degradation status of my tyres?

I think that's it for now.

Regards,
    Amarildo

Last edited: Aug 7, 2017
  2. Emery

Emery Registered

Answers in boldface.

3. Louis

Louis Registered

4. DaVeX

DaVeX Registered

No and I will love an option like this.

Louis and Guimengo like this.
  5. muz_j

muz_j Registered

Last edited: Aug 9, 2017
  6. Amanda Santini

Thank you all! I learned a lot from all responses :)

I'm freaking loving rFactor 2. I'm on the DirectX11 beta, though I was a bit afraid to enter because I read many people had top machines and were running the sim at single digit framerates, but surprisingly enough I'm running rF2 almost maxed out on at least 60 FPS while on track with a FX6300 and a R9 270X, so that's great! Well, to begin with, I didn't think rF2 looked bad at all with DX9, specially since I really don't care about graphics, the underlying features and simulation is what matters to me.
    However, there's too much bloom while running on DX11, I'd like to know if there's a way of tuning it down... a lot.

About the PIT stop and lane: doesn't the speed limiter turn itself off? I didn't see that happening on rF2, I have to manually press the limiter button near where I believe should be the automatic detection and shutdown of it.

7. Amanda Santini

@muz_j I just downloaded the F1 MOD you linked. Nice!

But where's the MGU-K delivery button on rF2? Or is that part of "not being able to simulate hybrids"?

Last edited: Aug 9, 2017
  8. Emery

Emery Registered

You have to do it manually, just like real life. AFAIK, only games have automatic pit lane limiters.
    http://www.formula1-dictionary.net/pitlane_speed_limiter.html

Many series, such as NASCAR, don't even have a limiter and the drivers just have to know the correct rpm to use.

Amanda Santini likes this.
  9. hitm4k3r

hitm4k3r Registered

There is no Hybrid support currently in rF2, but it is on their to-do list as they have lisenced a modern hybrid F1 car. When that might come is another question, but it is on their agenda and was actually discussed in their Facebook dev video. About your "problem" with the speed limiter: this is actually no problem but a proper simulated feature. Assign a button to the speedlimiter and use it as real racers are supposed to do. There is no auto pitlane in the real world either - but Emery beat me to it allready. :D

muz_j likes this.
  10. muz_j

muz_j Registered

Nice. I love the DX11 beta. I've been running it from day 1 and it performs well on my PC at 1080p, but some people do seem to suffer relatively worse frame rates on similar hardware. The problem is the variation in people's systems. Unless you have the full picture of someone's computer (hardware, software and setup), it's hard to make any form of comparison.
    RF2 is a relatively demanding game, but it's nice that you are getting good performance from DX11.

I have heard others make the same comment as you re: DX11 bloom. I don't notice it often, but on some specific DX11 content, it is higher than ideal. On content that is not optimised for DX11, it can be considerably higher again (to the point of literally blinding reflections).

So first you should try to understand if the issue you are having is relating to DX9 or DX11 content.
    If it's DX9 and uses custom shaders and you're running the DX11 beta, then I think the root cause is really the lack of optimisation of the content.
    I believe the main work-around is the reduce or disable the post processing effects, which are done in the video settings area of the RF2 Launcher.

11. Amanda Santini

OK, so is there a visual queue for when I should disable the limiter? Like when the very tip of my car goes through the white line (according to my vision) or something of that sort?

@hitm4k3r Great! Can't wait for an officially licensed F1 car.

You're correct.

12. muz_j

muz_j Registered

The traffic light at the exit of the pits is the indicator.

13. gabrielof

gabrielof Registered

It was already mentioned but I can't stress enough about internationalsimracing when downloading track mods, try to focus on those DX11 ready but you can find a few good DX9 like Monaco, Hockenheimring and Hungaroring by RaceRfactor.
    I wouldn't bother about apps since the new UI is supposed to fill the gap left behind. Anyway you should try WedgeHUD, currently my favorite HUD.
    I came from AC also and nowdays it's hard to spend more than half hour on it, I blame rFactor 2 physics so beware mate!

Jon likes this.
  14. Amanda Santini

Oh, thanks. So I just imagine where the tip of my car is and when it passes through the traffic light I turn the speed limiter off?

I was checking their website today and I was actually very pleased to see so many tracks, the "void" I felt when I first came in contact with rF2, in regards to tracks, has now been filled :)

I'm actually moving away from all apps/huds/etc. The guy on the radio I can bare, but anything aside from that and I feel the simulation part going away; there's nothing like that in real life, and I like being just me, the car, and the road :) Feels more immersive. On occasion, though, I check the status of my tyres just to see how they're doing, but just because I can't ask my crew chief for such information.

Yup, I'm feeling the same way :p Though I plan on racing on both of them since both have qualities that the other doesn't. In fact, all simulators are like this: none can offer everything, all have pros and cons. But we can race them all ;)

gabrielof likes this.
  15. Lazza

Lazza Registered

To get an indication of exactly where the pitlane starts and ends (some modded tracks don't always draw the line in the right place), drive through the pits without requesting a stop. The pitstop icon will appear in the top left corner (or wherever it is in the OSD you've selected) when you enter the lane, and disappear again when you drive out. This doesn't work if you request a stop.

SPASKIS, Tackset and Amanda Santini like this.
  16. ceecee

ceecee Registered

Last edited: Aug 10, 2017
    gabrielof and Amanda Santini like this.
  17. Amanda Santini

Hah, thanks for the heads up, ceecee :D

18. HardWin

HardWin Registered

+1 this is actually why I prefer AC, since I often feel that RFactor 2 is to slippery (to easy oversteer, same goes for AMS). Niels Heussinkveld recently admitted this was due to a miscalculation in AMS in one of his vids. Therefore I find those titles a bit too hard (not realistic). In AC I can correct oversteer much more which - to me - is both more satisfying as it is realistic. Nevertheless I prefer other things in Rfactor 2.