Rfactor2 The VR thread -settings & tips

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Adrianstealth, Apr 30, 2017.

1. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

yes agreed a slight scale adjustment would be good , I think its the 3d & VR headsets IPD setting which can alter things slightly

not sure about McLaren though looks ok on mine, I know some of these sports cars are very tight inside

Narrowbackwing likes this.
  2. moonm8trx

moonm8trx Registered

I ABSOLUTELY notice it. The scale is wrong and way too small. All other sims have the scale right and/or allow adjustments. Why not just allow it?

3. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Yes it's definitely an individual area as with a lot of things in VR, because now we're actually "seeing" the cockpit around us as opposed to "looking" at one on a flat screen. I played with the RRE Scale Setting a bit but I found default to be good for me, same as with AC & RF2 I don't personally suffer from any Scale issues. I wonder if people who wear Glasses also suffer from Scale problems? pure guess on my part, just wondering!

Ask nicely in the Wishlist Forum and it may come one day :)

Adrianstealth and Narrowbackwing like this.
  4. Jego

Jego Registered

Here is a video with a helmet cam, of course we don't know the focal length used for this, it's rather narrow but it looks fine to me compared to the game.

What do you actually mean with scaling is wrong? Ratio of hands to rest? The whole thing?

5. Narrowbackwing

Narrowbackwing Registered

Horizontally the car feels to narrow , and looking at the steering wheel when in Vr I would guess the size in width to be 220mm , I don't know the real size /width but surely it's around 280mm ? .

I wonder if the steering size is wrong when seeing Vr and it's putting me of ?

6. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

I think the 3D model within rf2 will be correct although the BT20 for instance seems over large to me & I think this one is a mistake by Isi ? I've sat in a real one and it's very small and tight

-if you adjust the IPD slider you'll see the 3D convergence slightly altering your surroundings perhaps this is why some see things as out if scale ?

But agreed an option to be able to slightly alter scale would be good

7. moonm8trx

moonm8trx Registered

The scale is absolutely 100% wrong in VR. I've sat in a real McLaren 650s and it's much bigger than what's portrayed in rFactor 2 in VR.

8. Jego

Jego Registered

Are you using a Rift or Vive?

9. moonm8trx

moonm8trx Registered

10. Korva7

Korva7 Registered

I remember that earlier with oculus dk 2 the scale seemed to be on a small side, but now with vive scale seems right to me.

11. moonm8trx

moonm8trx Registered

Interesting...I wonder if it has to do with Steam VR. However every game I play on Steam VR has a good scale. Strange...

12. Narrowbackwing

I don't think it's steam Vr , my guess is its modelled for monitor viewing and not tested in Vr and it's way way way off in Vr -------- also the 3D driver legs are ? Well just look and you see --- it's a very poor effort for first paid DLC , but I'm sure all will be rectified next update .

13. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Well there must be something more to this if it's perfectly fine for others, like what has been said before a world scale option is obviously needed.

14. elbo

elbo Registered

VR still has a lot of very rough edges (the belt impaling the Indy car driver is a good example). It is still the most entertaining sim driving experience as far as I am concerned. Hopefully things will slowly get better.

15. Narrowbackwing

Agree, and I don't mind how long it takes , but I really hope they are considering it .

16. Ricknau

Ricknau Registered

In VR is the image in the mirrors in 3D? Like if you move your head from side to side does your line of sight in the mirrors change accordingly?

17. Jego

Jego Registered

Unfortunately not, also you can't enable to show the car in the mirror as a real one would do.
    There is an option for "Self in mirror" however it is very buggy with most cars.

Again regarding the VR scaling issue, have those who are feeling everything is too small in VR played with 3 screens before?

18. sherpa25

sherpa25 Registered

Self in Rearview.

Jego likes this.
  19. Mark Fuller

Mark Fuller Registered

OK, need some input here as just about to throw my Rift in the bin.
    Two issues I am currently having:
    1) Practically every time I start my PC, I am having major issues getting the Rift and/or SteamVR working. Don't seem to be able to switch on and go.

2) Whilst in a race this evening, the set was working fine and was having a great time. Approx 35 mins into a 40 mins race everything just went completely black, nothing in the headset at all. The white light [inside the set] was on, my monitor was still in mode and sound was still on, but nothing from the headset. All I could do was to esc out of rF2.

Does anyone have any thoughts on either of these issues [have only just reinstalled Oculus and SteamVR again after previous issues]. My computer specs are Intel i5-4460 3.20 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Asus GeForce STRIX GTX 980 Ti, Windows 10 64-Bit, T500 RS

20. Jego

Jego Registered

I actually had it happen to me today I think. I was doing some laps, alt tabed out to windows to check something, went back to rFactor, noticed that due to typing in Firefox I enabled Free Camera movement. When leaving the garage again suddenly the scale was all wrong. The steering wheel was too big and everything seemed slightly off. I made a screenshot but forgot that it doesn't take it from the Rift but from the black screen. I pressed escape and went out again and it was fine again.
    So unless my mind played some strange trick on my there might be some sort of bug creeping around?