rFactor 2 and McLaren - World’s Fastest Gamer!

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by Christopher Elliott, May 23, 2017.

1. David O'Reilly

David O'Reilly Registered

The brief is a bit general @gabor There are so many settings you havent given.
    To have a chance at a reply I suggest you post the set.
    I cant guarantee someone will reply but you never know.

2. Ozzy

Ozzy Registered

I'm at 2:00.5 now, started at 2:03. What strikes me is, when looking at videos of those 1:57 laps, it doesn't look like they are exploiting physics flaws. It just looks like a smooth lap with "perfect" inputs and a g-meter straight out of a picture book (is this a valid english idiom?).
    Huge respect to those "aliens"!

3. Emery

Emery Registered

Speaking of splits, there must be interesting code behind the assignment of a server when entering the WFG...
    upload_2017-8-7_11-13-13.png

4. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

another hour on it earlier, certain corners were becoming smoother, keep knocking off the laps ( & make sure you enjoy doing so )
    and the speed will come later

5. gabor

gabor Registered

It's a very rough setup, being new to Rfactor is no excuse, but what I did I was doing a few drastic changes just to like see the direction is taking me to handling wise. I don't recall changing much if any of the parameters after spring rates.

Different camber was to compensate fact that right side doesn't have that many corners and as a result the outside tyre was not getting warm enough compared to inside.

As I said slow speed corners are giving me quite the grip, maybe a hint understeer but can be balanced out with tail braking.

I'm looking to gain high speed corner speed but without making the back snap on me like it was happening when I would increase rear anti roll bar or spring rate.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4cryncj5t3wp8cy/2-00-9.svm?dl=0

patrickkluiters and Jego like this.
  6. bwana

bwana Registered

Think David might be saying that if he worked on temps times would drop .. don't shoot me just an idea/ comment

7. Emery

Emery Registered

Sadly, I think the WFG competition has barely budged the needle in terms of participation. Here's what steamcharts.com says for people launching rF2:
    upload_2017-8-7_15-15-45.png

The peaks are a little over 800 people and the troughs that were around 200 people have come up to about 250 people. Hard to attribute any increase to WFG. There's more people online, visiting the WFG servers, but I don't think they're finding their way to other servers.

demerzel likes this.
  8. Emery

Emery Registered

What a difference a day makes:
    • Median lap time (half the people above, half the people below) is 2:01.60 for 1011 entrants (Fri was 713) .
    • From 2:00 to 2:02, there are 278 people (27.4% of total).
    • People with 1:59s (135) are now more numerous than people with 2:00s (133).
    • To be in the top 10% of total entrants, you need a 1:58.55 or lower (Fri was 1:58.78).
    • 59 people (Fri was 28) are in the 1:57s (5.5% of total).
    • Top 20 are 1:57.12 to 1:57.48.

MarcG, David O'Reilly and Guimengo like this.
  9. xGerhardsax

xGerhardsax Registered

@gabor
    That was a nice analysis of your lap.
    My times currently is also around 2,00.8. Feels like we are more or less on the same track suspension wise.
    My set currently also runs at 2 rear wing. stiff front (and rear) springs.
    My front ARB is at 1 and my rear is at 2 or 3.
    I think I am struggling a bit through T1, 2 Luffield and cops.
    I know there is more time for me to be gained, but 3-4 seconds...nope...not on this set of mine. Maybe 1 second or a bit more. (which gives me the 1st target I would like to hit (sub 2min))
    I just don't do the asymmetrical setup on cambers and tire pressures like you do.
    I run less front toe than you (link -.2 or something) and camber at its lowest-2 and -1
    I also currently run my car on lowest ride height possible

Last edited: Aug 8, 2017
  10. Kelju_K

Kelju_K Registered

well that's dissapointing. seems like simracers have picked their preferred sim and wont move to others, even when there is something exiting going on somewhere else :(

at least this event brought all of us closer together, at least that's the impression i've got from this :)
    hopefully the new car and upcoming pack, brought some income to S397 staff. they brought us DX11 and VR, the 2 things missing that propably have been repelleling some new customers, and will now keep the game alive for all of us, years to come.

fight for new customers between the existing and new sims will no doubt remain fearce. hopefully we get our share of the new blood and maybe some old members will return to rF2.
    i hope new content to the sim will be various and instead of individual cars we get series. GT3 is the most popular series trough out all sims, and now that that is going to be taken care of, i hope that next we see a historical series. Maybe a tintop series from the 80's would be nice contrast to the GT3.
    then we would (hopefully!) have something to the both camps that have been at each others throats since the beginning, the "grippers" and the "sliders" (sry, hehe. couldn't think better names for the opposing sides:D).
    Anyways, i personally want to thank everyone taking part in the event in any role possible, even just behind keyboard instead of the wheel. and ofcource studio 397 and mclaren for making it happen. Few egos propably got broken and many eyes have been opened as we have been watching the aliens showing us how it's done.

Long live rF2!

11. gabor

gabor Registered

Have a look here, https://www.dropbox.com/s/7oqk6fh6gtj0lt0/2-00-7.svm?dl=0 . I actually ended up softening front end, this now allows me to take around 195-200kph in T1, and overall it increased the speed carried over in high speed turns. 2.00.700 I made with this, however first sector got even worse due to the increased understeer, car is less willing to get it's nose into the slow turns now, making me completely miss my apexes again as my turn point has to be even further away from corner ... and same old stuff goes where if I try to get a bit more oversteer car becomes snappy and unpredictable. I'm pretty sure tonight with this setup I should get to 2.00.5- maybe even 2.00.2.

Also note that I had wrong tyre pressure, after a few laps I saw I was supposed to increase right side tyre's pressures not left side.

12. xGerhardsax

xGerhardsax Registered

Will have a look tonight and let you know.
    Maybe we can help each other get into the 59's

Last edited: Aug 8, 2017
    Guimengo likes this.
  13. Christos Segkounas

Christos Segkounas Registered

That's not making much sense to me.
    Softening the front ARB will have the car being pulled by the nose more.
    Softening the front springs may hurt initial turn-in response but you should not be getting mid corner understeer?
    And how come it's increased front end grip at high speed and not low speed?
    I guess you are confusing corner entry with mid corner, it is apparently helping you in the long corners but not the sharp ones?
    I reckon you can try killing corner entry understeer with brake input, with the ABS allowed in this car this should be pretty straightforward.

14. gabor

gabor Registered

That's exactly what I done, even sometimes I even changed down a gear to create oversteer. Yesterday I was in a group with a guy doing 1:57:2's and he was doing this a lot for the sharp corners where he would change down to 1st for a split second, just enough to get the rear to turn in sharp.

xGerhardsax I will do some more laps today with this setup till I get more used to it and have consistent lap times.Under 2 mins I would be happy with considering I just bough Rfactor 2 and been very long time I done any sim racings etc (about 10 years ago lol) Also with the amount of fuel in there, I actually can do a total of 3 laps. 1 = warmup tyres etc, 2 = nice and stable, but right side tyres can be cold if warmup was not aggressive enough, and then 3rd lap you have about just enough fuel left that allows you pretty much to do full on lap with with maybe 1-2L left at the end of the lap. However on third lap rear end becomes noticeably unstable, yet that's how I had my best times so far. I use the second lap to get myself up to speed, hit my brake references etc. Sometimes I get very good times in this 2nd lap first sector but because I don't have enough practice I end up screwing other bits up, so usually 3rd lap is the one I'm up to speed with everything.

P.S. Is it because I'm new, or why is that all my post wait operator's approval?

15. xGerhardsax

xGerhardsax Registered

I usually go the "hard spring, soft bar" route, back and front.
    I don't seem to have major on entry apart from a bit of understeer initially at turn in. The rest feels pretty ok all be it a bit sluggish in the slower stuff.
    you maybe have links to these videos?
    Are they Trackside cams or on boards? onboard HUD's I guess as you mention a G-meter

16. gabor

gabor Registered

there's a link up on previous pages with an onboard video. That's mentally fast &clean!

I myself just stalk the guys on the server I'm assigned with lol :D . Reason for this I can see more on how they take lines on warmup lap, see sometimes how they catch the car when it's going wide etc. More info there to look at than at some perfect 1 lap footage.

17. Skandepik

Skandepik Registered

Do you have any plugins in-game installed to inform you of that?

18. gabor

gabor Registered

Nope. Once you done your laps (even as little as a few meters on the track), press escape and you will see the tyre temps and pressure in the settings tab (grey box that you can't change, just read).

19. green serpent

green serpent Registered

Finally made it into the 2:00s (unofficially)! I've found a set up that turns in quite good with a touch of oversteer, but is stable mid corner - it kind of goes into an even 4-wheel slide mid corner as oppose to understeer or oversteer. Don't really have a clue as far as set up goes, just doing what feels okay: spring rates are at 2 front and rear, front arb is 2, rear arb is 3, rear wing is at 2. Tyre pressures are as low as they can go... any tips will be greatly appreciated!

20. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered