rFactor 2 and McLaren - World’s Fastest Gamer!

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by Christopher Elliott, May 23, 2017.

1. jayarrbee36

jayarrbee36 Registered

Very positive first impressions of this car. Excellent work indeed, S397.

I do have a question, not sure if this is quite the right place but here goes. Will the GT3 Power Pack include the existing Camaro? Or will we in fact have 6 official GT3 cars in rF2 once the pack is released?
    Either way, the 650S has me really looking forward to seeing what's next. The current VW GT3s (R8, Huracan, Continental & 911) would provide a nice mixture.

2. CamiloNino

CamiloNino Registered

The article was published by the SAE in October 2014. The SAE is an engineering society that has been around for more than 100 years and publishes journals and standards for the automotive industry. I would say it is as credible as it gets when it gets to that type of news. It is not a random website. Its speculation vs a report from a respected engineering association.

Plus the quotes from that article are listed in the rF Pro customers page, Ferrari is clearly listed: http://www.rfpro.com/about/customers.aspx

Last edited: Aug 2, 2017
  3. PLAYLIFE

PLAYLIFE Registered

I think it's a moot point as to what 'base' professional motorsport teams use. I imagine it's customised so much with internal models that it probably shares very little resemblance with what consumers receive. This is not based on a source, simply my opinion which is heavily influenced by what I see happening in the military aircraft field in which I work.

As example of how redundant the base is: let's use rF2. As consumers we all have the same rF2 base. Some mods are great; some are terrible due to the developer not understanding how the rF code uses the input data. So the quality, or at least perceived quality, of the product is solely determined by the mods. As the saying goes, you put sh!t in, you get sh!t out. Luckily we have some very good mods in rF2 that can showcase what is possible. I think the best example of showcasing a software engine is Automobilista with rF1.

tpw and bwana like this.
  4. stonec

stonec Registered

True, they were not using rFPro in 2013, so Alonso wasn't lying. Now they are (since ca. 2014/2015), it was confirmed by multiple sources.

As a side note, Alonso maybe thought what they used back in 2013 was "infinitely more advanced", but reality was that Ferrari's sim tools were years behind competition. Here's a recent quote from Pat Fry:

"These days, F1 is a battle which is won in simulation," explained the Englishman. "Ferrari's simulation tools were years behind and that was a five-year project to fix. At the beginning of last year, the simulator tools were getting to where they should have been.

5. PLAYLIFE

PLAYLIFE Registered

I used to be part of SAE. It's essentially a union type setup. You're encouraged to join if you're an engineer or in a related industry, which is heavily pushed at university. It allows you to enter the Formula SAE competition which is why I joined many moons ago (no longer a member). They are the same as the Royal Aeronautical Society (RAS), or an organisation like APESMA.

You pay an annual fee and you're then able to access their resources, attend seminars and publish through them. Do they have extra credence than a random blog? Probably. I don't know how they internally peer review but any organisation, even credible scientific government organisations, play politics to push their own agendas which usually revolve around funding.

As with any information I always like to find the primary source and read that. If the article is well referenced then I think it has credence. If it has no reference I don't bother. To publish in engineering or science journals or papers there are strict rules with referencing for this reason.

PS, I'm not trying to prove or disprove your link, just giving some background to SAE and my opinion.

Guimengo and bwana like this.
  6. CamiloNino

CamiloNino Registered

Thanks, good to know.

From what I know they are similar for the auto industry as IEEE are for electronics (EE here). IEEE publishes standards, journals and magazines that in order for you to have access you have to be a member, and they also organize a lot of student competitions and mentor ships and things like that. If they have similar credibility then I don't think there is a problem trusting the source for the rF pro article.

I think this has gone off topic too much, sorry about that.

PLAYLIFE likes this.
  7. muz_j

muz_j Registered

I had a brief drive of the McLaren 650S GT3 last night.
    The 3 things I would like to see applied to the car as an update (and I'm hoping this might happen after the WFG events have occurred) are:
    1) an adjustable steering ratio (I'm unsure if the real life car has this or not)
    2) adjustable gearbox ratios - as is the car seems geared a little too low for me. I was hitting red-line in 6th gear down conrod straight at Bathurst a lot sooner than the 650S that holds the record there did in real life and I suspect the car's gear top speed is lower than it is in real life at that track. 6th gear is too short for a track like Bathurst.
    3) a larger selection of tyre compounds - some medium & soft compound tyres for shorter length races would be great.
    ...other than that though it seems really nice :)

F1Aussie and Andregee like this.
  8. Daniel Surace

Daniel Surace Registered

I believe all gt3 cars in real life have locked gear ratio

shiet and Emery like this.
  9. muz_j

muz_j Registered

I'm not sure - and can't seem to find any info right now to confirm what the GT3 rules are.
    But I do know from my quick test last night - as is the car is not reaching anything remotely close to its listed top speed of 333 kph (207 mph). The gear ratios are too low. from memory I was hitting red-line around 270 - 280 kph, well before the right hand flick on conrod straight at bathurst - i.e. hitting top speed far too early.
    I can easily record it using NVidia Shadowplay and upload the video to show it clearly.

Top speed is listed here:
    http://sportscars.myautoglobe.com/en/mclaren-650s-gt3/model-1611-0
    https://www.topspeed.com/cars/mclaren/2015-mclaren-650s-gt3-ar164121.html

..and in this video showing the 650S GT3 setting the lap record at Bathurst, it does not appear to hit full rev's in sixth gear on that straight - which is what's happening to me. You can see the rev indicator bars fully light up in 5th, but it doesn't appear to do so in 6th - although admittedly it's hard to see. The engine noise suggests that's the case too. The car starts the straight at about 1:40 min into this video.

...so I'm saying I believe the car as is - is geared too low - probably for a track without a straight as long as Bathurst.

10. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

Gears and differential are locked AFAIK, problem is: SRO has 3 different BoP they use depending on the track they go if I remember right. S397 may have to offer this when the rest of the cars are released since it's impossible to BoP GT3 cars for all tracks if they have proper physic

F1Aussie, Emery, muz_j and 2 others like this.
  11. Daniel Surace

Daniel Surace Registered

Pretty Much as Will Mazeo stated above, the Cars are "Balance of performance" limited (BOP) so could be the imposed limit that as been chosen and maybe later give us the option for selected rounds.

muz_j likes this.
  12. bwana

bwana Registered

Hoping the WFG events will be streamed live , that will certainly get great exposure for rf2 and simracing in general

13. Alex72

Alex72 Registered

So what tracks is the car geared best for atm? Short "cornery" tracks?

14. muz_j

muz_j Registered

Thanks - that make perfect sense and is kind of what I suspect might be going on. Cheers!

Yeah that makes perfect sense to me.

To be honest I've just watched a couple of on board clips of GT3 cars at Bathurst with telemetry (an Audi and a 650S) and both are hitting very close to 280 kph quite a bit before the kink at the end of conrod straight, then holding that speed for a couple seconds - so I'm quite possibly completely wrong with my comments.
    I just didn't expect the car to seem like it had more top speed up its sleeve, but not enough gearing to hit it. And it does seem to be listed as having a higher top speed. But as is, I suspect I could run more down-force than default and still hit 280, which isn't a bad thing necessarily.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2017
  15. Christos Segkounas

Christos Segkounas Registered

I can speculate at this point that the Camaro will not be included in the pack since it's already out there as free content but that the car will receive some BOP changes for leagues to be able to include it as an option to race next to the paid content.
    More speculation incoming: No 911 or Ferrari but Audi, Merc, BMW, Aston or Bentley, Corvette.
    Pulled these ones completely out of my ass.

Purchased the whole pack last night myself and put the Macca through it's paces at Silverstone for a handful of laps with no driver aids because they were not allowed by the server.
    Overall first impressions very positive, I think the whole GT3 thing will be a great success for RF2, provided that the rest of the GT3 content is of the same quality, and I expect it to be exactly that.
    My only gripe is the lack of feel under braking, same thing as with the Radical, I cannot feel the point of lockup.
    I know from driving other RF2 cars it doesn't have to be that way, so many cars give you such great feedback when braking so why not these two?
    Last but not least, having experienced the car with no ABS and TC, it is fine like that, really no reason to include them into the racing, I think just about everyone should be able to handle the car without them after getting used to it for a few laps.
    Of course endurance leagues most likely will, because realism.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2017
  16. Niki Djakovic

Niki Djakovic Registered

After a bit more of testing last night and getting down with laptimes to those alien 1 58s (those are still slow times), we started running into invisible resistance from the car, reluctance to input, or understeer as you know it. Of course this is draining, unpleasant and slow. Now, this might be the way car is done in game, is in real life, or the way the is setup. I suspect the latter. For what I know nearly any race car in the world can be setup to oversteer-to be neutral-or understeer. Take a look at McLaren 650s record lap around Bathurst its a pile of understeer, then you check Nuburgring-Nordschleife and it's completely opposite, car is responsive and on the edge. Knowing rf2 level of physics and tiremodel, we'll check in game can the car be done be setup a little bit closer to that Nordschleife handling and poised the car a little bit better, both handling and ffb feeling.

17. baked bean

baked bean Registered

I'm pretty sure weather the server allows it or not the 650s have tc on low (or 1) at all time and same with abs. But I could be wrong.

18. Christos Segkounas

Christos Segkounas Registered

Not much experience with aids but I asked about it last night and apparently it's a mix of car and server settings.
    Apparently you cannot have any TC or ABS if the server won't allow it.
    And I think that if it is allowed then you have to have it on both car and the server enabled for it to work.
    Could be wrong but that's how I was told it works.

19. bwana

bwana Registered

If tc is enabled in server then its drivers choice to use or not unless mod has it built in as permanently on..don't think TC helps on these though as they don't really light up much under power

20. MarcG

MarcG Registered

If you're having SteamID issues joining (and getting kicked from server) the Session make sure that the Steam DLL is active in your CustomPluginVariables.JSON file:

},
    "SteamPlugin.dll":{
    " Enabled":1

Edit: Or Enable the Plug-in in the UI in Options under "Plugins/Difficulty"

Not saying this is the issue but it might be :)

SL1DE likes this.