HOW TO: Hosting with SteamCMD and Paid Content

Discussion in 'Hosting Help' started by Christopher Elliott, Aug 1, 2017.

1. Christopher Elliott

Christopher Elliott Registered

Hosting with paid content on a SteamCMD dedicated server requires a couple of extra steps.

First of all follow this Guide and setup your server
    https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=553088396

If you already have a server installed make sure and rerun the SteamCMD and update your server.

- Next run your server once with free content does not matter which car track. Make sure you go all the way to the last screen, as if you were putting the server online.

- Close your server and go to ....\MyServer\UserData

- Grab the file ServerKeys.bin
    Serverkey.JPG

- Download ServerKeys.bin to your local PC where you have a Steam install that owns the paid content.

- Place the file ServerKeys.bin in \Steam\steamapps\common\rFactor 2\UserData

- Open 'Single Player' once and close.

Go back to \Steam\steamapps\common\rFactor 2\UserData and grab the file that has just been generated ServerUnlock.bin

Serverunlockbin.JPG

- Upload the file ServerUnlock.bin to your server and place it in ....\MyServer\UserData

--> You should now be all set and ready to run paid content on your server! :)

Important Note: This ServerUnlock.bin will work on any dedicated servers on the remote PC you do not have to rerun this process unless you are installing on another remote server.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2017
    Lars, RealGT, Ozzie and 10 others like this.
  2. Rooney

Rooney Registered

ServerKeys.bin is not there. Does the server have to be created with official free content for it to create?

3. Christopher Elliott

We're looking into that, thanks.

lagg and gornes like this.
  4. gpfan

gpfan Registered

Another issue i came across when creating the server is that we have 2 components with same name "McLaren_650S_GT3_2017" "1.0" and "1.01" they are conflicting on last stage of "create mod package"
    Already tried to enter on a public server with this content and on "choose car" no car is displaying at all, only pace car. I´m assuming only Custom skins are available.......

1.jpg

5. Christopher Elliott

Please read here:
    https://forum.studio-397.com/index.php?threads/how-to-creating-a-raceevent-with-paid-content.57207/

gpfan likes this.
  6. Ari Antero

Ari Antero Registered

This issue has been in rFactor 2 years update content with same name has never been working when creating vmod. :eek:

7. gornes

gornes Registered

Same here

8. Christopher Elliott

It's not that it's not working, it's just confusing. You need to select only the update version.

SPASKIS likes this.
  9. Depco

Depco Registered

ServerKeys.bin not showing up for me as well. I am logging into steam anonymously to update the server. Is that a problem?

10. Ari Antero

Ari Antero Registered

The problem is that car list is empty when you launch dedicated server

11. Depco

Depco Registered

I found one server with the McLaren on it. The server showed me in the Clio Safety car when I got in and then I got booted to Desktop. BTW Ari I think the devs are sleeping now.

12. GrimDad

GrimDad Registered

Here we go again........

13. Bernd

Bernd Registered

...fortunately everything is so much easier with Steam.....

14. Goanna

Goanna Registered

....refunds work...

15. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

According to my experience, the updated 1.01 component has not been correctly created. I have been using incremental updates since the beginning.

Incremental updates should always contain several component key files in order to properly work online and offline.

For tracks this is typically aiw, scn, gdb...
    For cars you need hdv, gen...

I am unsure if all of them are actually required but since those are very light files, I always include them all in the update. Usually, it basically requires including the original mas file that contains them when packing the incremental update.

What I also do, is ALWAYS include the updated component as a part of the vmod. If I create an standalone updating component it doesn't show the drivers when you create a vmod. It only works fine in All Cars and Tracks.

The standalone component is only an intermediate step in order to create the vmod. When doing so you need to mark the component to be included in the vmod. The file size of the vmod is for sure a little bit bigger. After that it is always advisable to uninstall and remove the standalone update rfcmp file from packages folder. Installing the just created vmod will update the component.

While the solution picked by S397 of separating core and skins in two components is good for leagues, which will be able to create their own skinpacks, it will give a lot of problems to more casual users.

Wishmaster likes this.
  16. Depco

Depco Registered

After running the updater this morning I was able to get the rF2 Dedi-Server to update and then the rest of the server setup went mostly smooth... See other post about track not showing in track list for Noel's GetMod program.

17. Mario Rocha

Mario Rocha Registered

Without *** SteamCMD *** and if you have a copy folder of the steam folder on your server:

1. Go to your steam installation and run "dedicated"...... and close it
    2. On your steam installation, open you launcher and start a "single player" (you you have a server, it opens and closes)
    3. On steam installation you have now the 2 files **ServerKeys.bin** and **serverUnlock.bin**
    4. Copy and paste the 2 files to your Userdata on your "Server"

ENJOY

SimonJ likes this.
  18. GrimDad

GrimDad Registered

I give up on trying to host rf2

antton and Adrianstealth like this.
  19. Christopher Elliott

What's the issue you're having? Glad to help if I can.

20. GrimDad

GrimDad Registered

I appreciate your trying to help Mr Elliot but the whole windows 95 server management system drives me nuts.
    I bought a second copy of rf2 + GT pack and that doesn't work either but it is easier to update.

For now I've had enough of rf2 servers and reading your guides....but thanks for offering.