Should I get a wheel?

Discussion in 'Hardware Building/Buying/Usage Advice' started by Chaboi Hazza, Jul 25, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Chaboi Hazza

Chaboi Hazza Registered

I bought rfactor 2 a couple of months ago and (despite using a 360 controller) have really enjoyed it. I think I want to get more into sim racing but i've only experience offline and all the equipment (wheels and stuff) seems so expensive. Should I get something simple like a g29/g27? Or would it not be worth it.
    If I were to get a wheel, should I invest in getting more sims because at the moment i've only got rfactor 2?

2. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

Yeah a wheel is always better.
    Tho in my case I started driving less after I got one. Having to put it on the desk every time is just zZzZzZz :D when I was on keyboard was much easier I just had to start the game (in this case was GTR2 back in the day)

3. muz_j

muz_j Registered

Yes you should get a steering wheel.
    There are lots of varieties of wheels. You should read & watch reviews, before deciding which wheel is right for you. And talk to other gamers. I personally use a Logitech G29 and find for my needs - it's a great wheel. It's not the best wheel available, but it is one of the best value for money wheels - in my opinion. Everyone will have their own opinion on their favorite steering wheels.

...and yes - you should get more sims when you have a wheel (although RF2 does have a good variety of cars and tracks available). I'd suggest getting a good rally game to complement RF2 - as an easy suggestion.

I have my wheel always mounted on my desk, but I move it to one side of the desk, out of the way, when I'm not using it. That way it's very quick to loosen it and move it into position (the pedals are always in the correct location on the floor).

4. hihi04

hihi04 Registered

Yes for sure is another experience, you are gonna really enjoy this game with a wheel. If you are thinking get one and had the money i recommend go for thrustmaster t300, if you are tight with money go for g27 or g25

5. Tackset

Tackset Registered

Driving with a FFB wheel will give you a totally different experience. My approach was to buy a very cheap second hand wheel+pedal set to see if the bug would stick (25 euro logitech momo). It was a poor wheel not even 300 degrees of rotation, but i had a lot of fun.

When the pedals gave out (old potentio meters), I bought new pedals. This made me quicker, but especially gave me more control and consistency. Keeping me on the track more and giving more fun.

After a while i saw someone selling a G27 wheel only. Since i had the pedals, i got them (50 euro for one complete wheel + a spare wheel base). Again I got quicker and got to drive with better drivers. So even more fun!
    There are many more upgrades I would like (there are always upgrades! (even when you have HE pedals and a direct drive wheel)), but i am now happy where i am.

The point i am trying to make:
    - Get a wheel, it's fun!
    - The better the equipment, the more fun you'll probably have
    - The equipment doesn't make you fast, bad equipment does hold you back
    - Find something that suits your budget. I have always been happy with 2nd hand stuff, many don't.

On the point of the games. If you like rF2, you don't need another game/sim. If you like to do other stuff, for sure get another one.
    I notice that I hardly have the time to drive rF2, as i am spending most of my time in another sim.
    rF2 is made for driving with a wheel. I would say, find yourself a nice one and try it out. You can always expand the hobby later.

6. peterchen

peterchen Registered

When you started simracing with rFactor2, I would recommend to save your money for a wheel instead of other sims
    as these other sims have a totally different feeling with it, what would confuse you. Or to say it different: you just would notice that the others feel dumb, bland and crappy in comparison to rF2.
    Save your time you would invest in getting used to this bad ones and better come on open server to kick the Radical through Silverstone! :cool::D

7. Tackset

Tackset Registered

I don't completely agree with Peterchen, but one thing is spot on. No need to buy other sims, especially if you don't have a wheel yet. That money is better spent on a decent wheel and pedal set. (and i drive another sim).

What you can do though is this, tell yourself that you have just saved xxx $$$$ by deciding not to buy titles X, Y and Z and now you have the funds put aside to buy a wheel :)

8. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

Get a wheel. You won't regret it.

9. Kaitsu_69

Kaitsu_69 Registered

Get it! I have only old Logitech DFGT, cost 120€ and it's worth of every sent.

10. Daniele Vidimari

Daniele Vidimari Registered

rF2 without a wheel is like a girl without put your word here :)

From Logitech DFPRO to a OSW it's always worth!

Kaitsu_69 and SPASKIS like this.
  11. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

Brain?

Tackset and Daniele Vidimari like this.
  12. Oldgamergazza

Oldgamergazza Registered

13. tjc

tjc Registered

Get the wheel. :)

14. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

If you feel like you're in for the long haul and want something proper, look at a T300, T500, or Fanatec CSV 2 to begin with. If you're not very worried about all the features, bells and whistles, and want cheap, look for a Logitech DFGT or G25. The pedals will make the most difference and the most basic load cell pedals will make a world of difference. Don't be fussed with a separate purchase shifter or clutch pedals unless your interest lies in older cars.

The reason to skip a G27 or the other is the deadzone and how Logitech went cheap on the encoder and gears. I own a Fanatec wheel (one of the latest before their quick release wheelbase came out) and though it's belt driven, it offers too much resistance vs cogs, and it has very poor self aligning torque, especially in rFactor. That may seem like a detail but just wait until you lose precious tenths on very tight areas of a track. It's my biggest annoyance.

Before you buy other games, see if you're into this. Then do your research and remember there are sales periods in November, December, and July.

Emery likes this.