[REL] F1 1979 HISTORIC EDITION 2.02 BY POSTIPATE

Discussion in 'Vehicles' started by Pauli Partanen, Jun 24, 2017.

1. Pauli Partanen

Pauli Partanen Registered

Maybe we really should do the event for weekend!

Mauro likes this.
  2. Ari Antero

Ari Antero Registered

All tracks are S397/ISI tracks which most people has already downloaded and raced them many times before.
    I don`t know anything which is more boring then to race same track again and again......................

Last edited: Jul 20, 2017
  3. Pauli Partanen

Eric Rowland likes this.
  4. Ari Antero

Ari Antero Registered

fun2race.liverac
    When you wish something special there is also a responsibility to make it to happen :oops:

Server name: F1_1979_Official_Server_2
    Fuel usage: Normal
    Tyre wear: Normal
    Damage: 50%
    Auto Clutch on
    Practice: 30 min.
    Qualify: 10 min.
    Race:15 min.

Server is using Noel Hibbart`s GetMod service ;)

LiveRacers: http://fun2race.liveracers.info/Live/?server=F1_1979_Official_Server_2 o_O

;)

5. Kelju_K

Kelju_K Registered

Thiiiis!:D
    and btw, the williams is "too fast" compared to other cars in my opinion aswell. by "too fast" i mean it's not 0.7 seconds but closer to 2 seconds to the slower ones.
    but we are still on 0.97. plenty of time to tweak the car(s) still;).

Last edited: Jul 21, 2017
  6. Kelju_K

Kelju_K Registered

to get you in the mood for the weekend:)

Pauli Partanen likes this.
  7. Pauli Partanen

How would you rate it againts Ligier, Ferrari and Renault? :)

Below some stats of the car. Didnt even know that Rosberg used still modified version of this car in 1982 Championship year! Quite impressive from Rosberg to drive still second at 3rd race

I think the car was very fast in that season, but it might be too fast in game (more feedback welcome).. If Alan Jones would have this car from beginning and hadn't so much reliability problems, he would have one Championship in 2 years row with that car (and with bit of luck the 1981 season too) (Jody retired only 2 times and Alan 7 times)

Screenshot-2017-7-21 Williams FW07 - Wikipedia.png

8. Pauli Partanen

Here is Qualifying result from 1979 British Grand Prix. I think it was the best track for best ground effect cars with those fast corners

edit: seems like Regazzoni won
    Screenshot-2017-7-21 1979 British Grand Prix - Qualifying and Race Results F1 Pulse.png

9. Pauli Partanen

Thanks for this! Have to watch the whole video when i have time :)

Watch @1:08:04

10. Ari Antero

Ari Antero Registered

If you look only car performance in 1979 there is little doubt that Renault RS10(11-12) was car to beat. "The Renault turbo effort was a joke along the paddock as the RS01 earned the moniker "Yellow Teapot" as its race would often end with the yellow car smoking and parked. It would not be long however, before the jokes and laughs along the grid turned to panic. Through the final eight races of the season the RS10 scored five poles and one memorable home win at the at Dijon. More wins would surely have followed if not for the engine troubles."

Ferrari got only two poles but in the races this car was always a force to recon with, lot of fastest race laps and Jody Scheckter won the Drivers' Championship. Ferrari is International Cup for F1 Constructors 1979 champion.

Williams FW07 three poles, three fastest lap times in the race, five race wins, two times the fastest car in qualifying and the race. FW07 raced 11 times. Alan Jones did retire only two times becourse of reliability problems, Wikipedia is wrong Jones did finish third position in USA. I remember this like it was yesterday. I was watching race from TV in 79, was Ferrari first and second Jones in third place. FW07 was a good car in 79 but it was still a baby learning to walk :oops:.

Ligier JS11 four poles and three race wins and lot of reliability problems both cars retiring from 8 races. JS11 was probably the best all a round car in 79.

1. Renault
    2. Ferrari
    3. Ligier
    4. Williams

The problem with the mod is that FW07 is way too fast and it has almost no wear at all. I did few laps (online) in Palm Beach with this rocket, default setup and it was easy for me to run low 1.09 and with soft tire 1.08,4. It seems that FW07 takes corners too smooth and it exits from the corners like a rocket. I am not the fastest simracer but the guys who are with the same car 2-5 secs slower then I am can beat me too easy with FW07 if I am racing with any of the other cars.
    Ferrari engine feels like it is bit too much on and off and it seems to have little mechanical grip. I feel also that slower cars could bee bit closer of the top cars.
    Rfactor 2 don`t have transmission model and most of the cars locks rear tires easy if H-shifter and clutch is used(no auto clutch) and perhaps all cars should have a bit more smooth engine brake ?
    o_O:rolleyes::)

11. Pauli Partanen

Ligier first two wins came from the races that many teams had last years non ground effect car (from top teams ferrari, renault, williams had last years cars.)
    Williams FW07 drived last 11 races but won 5 of them. On 8 races one of he cars finished so it when atleast one car finished it won races by 5/8 and also beated many cars with over second of qualify on last rounds (expect renault).

15. Usa:
    Williams 1.2 seconds faster than anybody else
    14. Canada:
    Williams 0.6 faster than anybody else
    13. Italy:
    Williams 0.3 slower than Renault and 0.1 slower than Ferrari
    12. Dutch:
    Williams 0.1 slower than Renault and 0.7 seconds faster than any other team
    11. Austria:
    Williams 0.2 slower than Renault and 1.2 seconds faster than any other team
    10. German:
    Williams 0.2 slower than renault and 0.7 seconds faster than any other team
    9. Britis
    Williams 0.6 faster than any other team
    8. French:
    Williams 1 second slower than Renault and 0.6 second slower than Ferrari
    7. Monaco:
    Williams 1.2 slower than Ferrari
    6. Belgium:
    Williams 0.4 Slower than Ligier
    5. Spanish:
    Williams 1.4 seconds slower than Ligier

Around 5-8 races Williams was slow, but rest of the season it was best car on grid with Renault on quali (Ferrari was good on races). So this is bit apples and oranges to say which car is better when cars performances changed so much around the season. Much different from today F1 races :D

Renault fastest had car on season when looking the end of the season but terrible reliability
    Williams had almost same speed as Renault after British race, but more reliability than Renault
    Ligier was fastest on start of the season but lost its pace during the season and had bad reliability
    Ferrari was best all around car on season if you also look reliability and performance

So impossible to make these cars any performance list. I think the Renault RS10 was fastest car of the season.

So really to make this mod realistic I would need to make 2-5 different physics for each car :) Maybe I will just settle for making something what would be in the middle with the performance until we have trackpack with all season cars.

If your rear tires lock up, just change the brake bias one click more to front and change gear on lower RPM and blip thortle Also set less brake pressure if you have problems with braking. I have used H-shifter from my G25 today and had no problems with rear locking. And got better with these setup changes. Will need to make adjusment to duck blanking and more choices between the brake bias settings to make setting brakes easier.

Will check that Ferrari, but most likely changing the default setup to more could help as it don't really have less mechanical grip than other top teams. Mayby try to give 2-3 click more to rear wing if it helps. Just guessing

One thing I would like to say that all these cars drive bit differently and you have to adjust your driving to car. You cant drive Williams like Ferrari and vice versa. Changing setup to your own driving style will help you or change your driving style.

Williams most likely has now bit too much grip, and like i said earlier I will look into it. Thank for pointing that out

Slower team will be bit closer on next update to top teams :)

Kelju_K, Ari Antero and Mauro like this.
  12. Eric Rowland

Eric Rowland Registered

A great story from 1979 was that Jacques Laffite had won the first two races of the season at Argentina and Brazil. Engineer Gerard Ducarouge had gotten the ride height and spring settings just right for optimal ground effect. Someone wrote the settings on a pack of Gitanes cigarettes. Later, at a subsequent race when they went to apply those settings to the car, they could not do so because someone had discarded the cigarette pack with the magic settings........:oops:

muzikant and Ari Antero like this.
  13. Ari Antero

Ari Antero Registered

I began to doubt if I have dementia and do not remember what I watched in TV 38 years back. Was round 4 Usa West Gp :D

Kelju_K and Pauli Partanen like this.
  14. Pauli Partanen

Yeah that it is funny :D
    Btw. This was aired in Norway back then or in Finland? Havent heard 70's formulas, but 80's Formula broadcast in Finland.

15. Ari Antero

Ari Antero Registered

Yes we are all just guessing ;)

I don`t think this is setup issue. There are many driving styles lift and coast is one of those styles which can bee used to get different racing line by going deeper in to corner to get bit more early apex then guy who you are trying to overtake when close racing. Many of the cars don`t allow this simply becourse rF2 don`t have transmission or clutch modeling and it would bee good to have less engine brake to make cars more realistic to drive.

This is what makes GP79 one of the best mods in rFactor 2 like it was also in rFactor 1 :)

+100 :cool:

Last edited: Jul 21, 2017
  16. Ari Antero

Ari Antero Registered

Norway in the middle of the night :)

17. Pauli Partanen

Thanks for input :) Will make it for next build so we can check how it works.

Kelju_K and Ari Antero like this.
  18. jymp

jymp Registered

Yes, I've noticed the engine braking could be less, very interesting update coming :)

Kelju_K likes this.
  19. elbo

elbo Registered

Don't know if this is a mod specific thing or an RF2 thing but in VR, a lot of the pieces of the cars disappear and reappear depending of small head movements, It is not just pieces being clipped by the helmet in, I am talking about nosecone and front suspension elements.
    - Love that James Hunt interview at the beginning of the longbeach race linked above :)

20. Pauli Partanen

Its mod thing. This mod aint really made for VR and to make it work would take quite bit of work sadly