Audio equaliser settings

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by Jon, Jul 14, 2017.

1. Jon

Jon Registered

Hey guys,

Just a quick question. Yesterday I invested in a pair of Sony Extra Bass headphones, in fact it's the first pair of overhead headphones I've ever bought, and I bought them specifically to use with rFactor 2 as I absolutely love the sound effects (except the sound effect when the car hits a hay stack, which really should be change to a muted "puff" sound). I chose extra bass because I what I remember from the two times I've been to Silverstone the ground literally shock as the cars passed, and extra bass seems to be the best way to replicate this effect.

Anyway, as expected the sound quality is excellent and has really boosted the immersion in the game. However I'm not sure what equaliser settings I should use (I'm using Dell's audio drivers which allows the equaliser to be set externally from rFactor). Are there any recommendations for this? Ideally I'd like to have it set as the developer's intended. Should it therefore be left as flat? I've tried the Loudness setting, but I found I had to increase the tyre sounds to 200% otherwise they're barely heard, also the engine sound when not changing gears or accelerating is rather quiet with this setting. I think it's because the middle frequencies are low compared to the lowest and highest frequencies.

Any advice is greatly appreciated,
    Cheers.

2. muz_j

muz_j Registered

As intended by the developers would generally suggest a flat equaliser - as that's how I treat it and it's the same with music too, although you then need to take into account the specifics of your audio setup. i.e. if your speakers were had a low output of low frequency ranges you might compensate for that etc.
    I'd suggest leaving the equaliser flat, check what other audio settings you can alter for your system's sound drivers and the windows default settings, then play the game for a bit on your new headphones and see what you think. Try a few different cars on different tracks and see how things sound - then you can fine tune from there.
    I don't change a lot on my own sound card's settings - but it's different to yours, so the specifics aren't relevant. But the gist is I keep things pretty standard. I boost bass a little using the Windows tone settings and that's about it.

Jon likes this.
  3. Jon

Jon Registered

Thanks a lot for your reply. I changed the equaliser to flat. The only issue I'm getting is a slight crackling noise which only appears at the start of the race, and before the first corner; at no other time does this happen nor when listening to music. I believe it could be related to numerous engines sounds played in close proximity simultaneously. I'll have a try at reducing and increasing the maximum sounds settings in rFactor menu. But thanks again for your input. Cheers.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2017
  4. muz_j

muz_j Registered

...just make sure it's not exhaust crackling and popping, as some of the cars tend to do that, just like real life. It obviously depends on throttle position etc, but that sound might be intentional.

Jon likes this.
  5. Jon

Jon Registered

Ok thanks, I'll keep that in mind. Cheers.

6. Wanderer

Wanderer Registered

Jon likes this.
  7. woochoo

woochoo Registered

+1 on bass shakers
    Mine aren't buttkickers or simvibe or similar design, and they don't need software, but i love them (also for music). They run straight off the regular stereo output of the sound card, so i they don't have dedicated signal feeding them, but i think they work well enough for me.

I have a stereo pair mounted on the back of my diy footwell.
    They transmit engine rpm, backfires, some gear shifts (like with shift-cut ECUs or whatever), kerbs as mentioned, dirt/grass.

Once upon a time i also had one under my chair and one bolted to the underside of the desk, and in combo with the footwell stereo pair it was great. Engine rpm etc went through the desk into the steering wheel, and also into my backside via the seat. I bought four for a clearance price years ago.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2017
    Jon likes this.
  8. Jon

Jon Registered

Cheers guys, they certainly look impressive. Maybe for Christmas :)

Wanderer likes this.