VR - Too dark when it's overcast

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by lagg, Jul 5, 2017.

1. MarcG

MarcG Registered

After some Googling this appears to be a specific Rift/Oculus issue and users on other games also state it can be "darker than a monitor", so with no way to control the Contrast/Saturation etc that you can on a monitor it may be something we'll have to live with until Oculus/nVidia/AMD/whoever allow us greater control over the HMD.
    Edit: Unless Studio397 can work some magic of course!

For final reference this was taken on the S397 server during Qualifying at SilversNational, very hard to make out the RealRoad during what should be (IMO!) brighter conditions with the little cloud cover. It is darker on the Rift than what you see in the image below.
    20170708170822_1.jpg

Last edited: Jul 8, 2017
  2. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

actually i'm noticing this now, not a biggie or irritating me but agreed a tad darker than i'd expect
    ( oculus )

3. pedrodfa

pedrodfa Registered

Yes, so frustrating because with sims im like, best graphics Project Cars by far, best VR performance Assetto Corsa, best physics (the most important thing of course) Rfactor 2! Thing is I can´t go back to monitors... And honestly they have to do some magic with the vr support on rf2 cause its not looking good at all.. The aim really should be 90fps not 45. im on a 1070gtx

4. Milopapa

Milopapa Registered

I'm running full 90fps (disabled reprojection) on my 1080Ti with 2.0 SteamVR supersamping - just for reference.

5. pedrodfa

pedrodfa Registered

How do you know it’s running at 90fps? Cause I can’t find a way to show the fps ingame. I’m running 1.2 ss with level 1 AA and everything mostly on low. Still it goes a lot of times bellow 90fps. Not nice. Maybe it’s some of the tracks/cars..

6. MarcG

MarcG Registered

I politely suggest you start a separate thread as neither of your posts concern the actual matter of the thread.

7. pedrodfa

pedrodfa Registered

Yes right. Sorry got carried away

8. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

I think one of the reasons for VR owners to feel a darker ambience could be pupil dilatation itself. The light of the sky can make pupils close too much to properly perceive darker tones.

9. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Nope that's not it.

10. Milopapa

Milopapa Registered

Simple. As I said, I disabled reprojection. Anything less than 90fps would instantly cause judder.

11. multivac

multivac Registered

Totally agree. When it's very cloudy general lighting is very low and it's very complicated to drive because you dont see the track. :(

lagg likes this.
  12. benborp

benborp Registered

I have the same problem with Vive. Slightest cloud cover results in a very dark, low contrast scene, to the extent that it becomes difficult to pick out white lines on the track.

Mid afternoon, Silverstone, Sao Paulo for reference, but it is an issue at all tracks.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2017
    lagg likes this.
  13. pedrodfa

pedrodfa Registered

I wonder what kind of solution would be possible without having an auto-exposure system like in Project Cars (which I don´t think works very well. ) Maybe some gamma adjustment, contrast/brightness... the thing is that when its sunny clear at day time, like 12pm for example it seems to be good, im afraid it would be too bright when the adjustments would apply to when its sunny clear 12pm for ex.
    Also I think when at night, the headlights should have more power - also too dark.

lagg likes this.
  14. lagg

lagg Registered

Yes, i've created a server and 8 person have been testing it with different conditions.
    We've used Silverstone to be sure than the problem isn't on the circuit.
    The weather conditions are always during the day and overcast.
    All of us have have the problem, but depending on the person is noticed to a greater or lesser extent.
    I've used the rFactor2 Weather Tool of Gerald Jacobson to fix the percentaje of clouds and when the overcast % is bigger than 70-80% many people have problems with the light (contrast?).

15. Joeymaurone

Joeymaurone Registered

I noticed this too runing urd endurance cars on sebring at dawn, the contrast betweeen the track overall (dark) and the sunlight (very bright) that is hard to see.

lagg likes this.
  16. rixracer

rixracer Registered

Christopher,
    Rift user here, and it always seems too dark to me, cloudy or not. Is there a setting in rF2 that I should address, or should I adjust vy graphics card (980ti)?

lagg likes this.
  17. Jego

Jego Registered

Same here, if there are clouds on the sky, even just a few, it gets so dark that I can barely see anything.

Rift, with latest version of steamvr and rfactor.

lagg likes this.
  18. dylbie

dylbie Registered

Does anyone here know much about photography?

I believe the problem is probably something similar to ISO settings. On a camera if you use the same ISO settings on a sunny day vs an overcast day, the overcast day will be much darker. If you leave the camera on AUTO ISO it adjusts automatically to give you similar light.

Our own eyes do this naturally of course. And the only time it's really noticeable is on a sunny day, when a storm suddenly brews up. Even then our eyes can adjust instantly to deal with it.

As for a fix I have no idea how easy it would be to implement into the lighting engine. In real life clouds reflect, diffuse and scatter a hell of a lot of light, so it may just be a case of toning down the cloud opacity, unless you're in heavy storm conditions.

lagg likes this.
  19. Jego

Jego Registered

Our eyes rather work like the aperture on a lens, however this, and also the "ISO" would not cause such a problem.

It's rather a dynamic range issue with the lighting from rfactor I assume. When the sky still has blue spots between the clouds, those have the right brightness, but all the darker parts are way too dark.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynamic_range#Photography

lagg likes this.
  20. Goibaka

Goibaka Registered

I think the problem is rf2 dx11 generates low ambient light. It has effect in shadows too dark and overcast conditions with a poor visibility.

Seems that autoexpossure isn't working

lagg likes this.