Rfactor 2 future: Should we (or just I) be worried?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Christos Segkounas, Jun 28, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LokiD

LokiD Registered

that last line, is work lunch time magic !!! lol

Louis and bwana like this.
  2. LokiD

LokiD Registered

realism doesnt mean difficulty..

Last edited: Jul 7, 2017
  3. Kelju_K

Kelju_K Registered

:D

4. peterchen

peterchen Registered

Are they really different in physics? I drove the original 32pixel car long ago when it came out with that awesome track, but I didn´t drove it very much and not digged deeper so I can´t really remember anymore if it had the same problems.

5. hardtohandle

hardtohandle Registered

That's whats this is all about - right foot abuse. Lets not lose sight of OP!
    We are talking about the pixel32 Celica GTO, which came out with the Lester track. To be fair I agree with you about the rear wing when you set it to low. But lets not make this about the Celica GTO, OP is bang on the money here.

Christos Segkounas and bwana like this.
  6. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

Very. Beyond a couple of fixes and added cosmetics and aids, the car was given very grippy and lasting tires, and incredible braking. It gained ~2.5-3s per lap.

Kelju_K, Rui Santos and bwana like this.
  7. peterchen

peterchen Registered

Thanks for info!

8. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

I have extracted these pictures from the official Radical Mechanics Handbook. According to it, having balanced front tire load is crucial for this car. A difference of less than 10 kg is suggested. In order to compensate it the opposite wheel should be adjusted.

In the news thread of this car which can be accessed from the OP in this thread, it says this car has been immaculately balanced.

Apparently, and according to the telemetry data, the LH version which would be in the limit of those 10 kg. There is an example setup sheet where we have precise data for tire loads.

In that sheet both front tires show a 2 kg difference. Those are static so I would need to repeat the tests to see hiw they match. However I am not sure if telemetry values are provided at zero speed. @Lazza ?

Screenshot_20170706-142904.png
    Screenshot_20170706-145622.png

CamiloNino and SRGP like this.
  9. Daniele Vidimari

Daniele Vidimari Registered

What's wrong with Automobilista?

10. hardtohandle

hardtohandle Registered

Nothing. It's horses for courses mate.

The difference is, if you take the Retro 70's F1 car in AMS to historic interlagos, and you sling it into T1 there at 180mph and stick it right around the outside of another car, and your thinking holy shit! This is as close to simulating what it must be actually like to be Jackie Stewart in a Tyrell in a world championship! I'm the best driver in the world dammit! Them guys are getting hard ons, and they permit themselves to think in error that their dick is actually bigger than Sir Jackies!

Aint nothing wrong in that, in fact it sounds good fun if you like that.

What many of us like however, being the non 3x world championship winning hobbyists that we are, we like to simulate what we would actually be like in Jackie Stewarts 70's Tyrell. Assholes, too scared to press the gas any more as we coast into T1 at half speed, and the crowd is laughing at us.

And theres nothing wrong with that either. It's a labour of love as magus says, the difficulty is what makes it fun to us.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2017
    Kelju_K, bravotangosix, Louis and 4 others like this.
  11. demerzel

demerzel Registered

Nothing. People started to get the idea that they dumb down the game.

12. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Agreed !

Take a formula track day car out and even mildly start to push and I think one would quickly realise how hard it is

In AC I could power slide an f1 car around corners on first try and quickly realise it really wasn't the sim for me

!

Rui Santos and Mauro like this.
  13. stonec

stonec Registered

Yeah and it's technically not correct. If you listen to the videos of Niels from the past few years, he has stated many times that he shares the view with Lord Kunos and few other sim developers, that most cars shouldn't be difficult to drive especially if you are not near the limit. So it's more a design philosophy than dumbing anything down on purpose.

avenger82 and Carlos Sancho like this.
  14. PaulG

PaulG Registered

That's probably not a fair statement. Physics, algorithms, knowledge... all of these things naturally improve with time. ISI always acknowledged that. In fact, I'm sure I read interviews where Tim said it was as much art as it was science (necessitated by how incomplete certain knowledge was).

Now if we're talking about a vocal subset of forum posters, absolutely. To them the facts will never get in the way. They probably walked 50 miles a morning, through the blizzard, to get to school too.

Ronnie and MarcG like this.
  15. Lazza

Lazza Registered

@SPASKIS yep, the DAMPlugin logs ASAP. I never got around to adding a "if I don't move, don't log" option. Though it would only be an option anyway. But I'd do a few tests and average them, there can be some variance each time the car drops.

16. Rui Santos

Rui Santos Registered

Exactly, i hated the update, they've added rails to it, the first version was great and very challenging, i loved that car!

hardtohandle likes this.
  17. Brack Jabham

Brack Jabham Registered

No problem, I am just saying - if we like this as a sim, then an easy car to drive in real life (Radical) should be easy in sim. I used to mod many years ago, and have only be involved in GP3 recently. For GP3, we got feedback from real engineer that we are on the right track, then someone finds it easy, is it right or wrong? My guess would be right, because we simulated what we knew based on expert feedback. If many people want it to be harder to drive, that is not a simulation - that is a hard game
    I have no comment on how S397 do things, I am not involved

avenger82, mike.m and Korva7 like this.
  18. Lazza

Lazza Registered

19. Christopher Snow

Christopher Snow Registered

I know I did. Barefoot and into a headwind too (both ways).

And uphill...both ways. :D

20. Isosceles Kramer

Isosceles Kramer Registered

You're comparing actual physical limits of a vehicle with feeling of being a driver of said vehicle. Not comparable.

Representation of the vehicle you're describing being able to do what you say it can has no relation to you not having guts in real life to do what it's capable of doing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.