New driver guide?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Tackset, Jun 27, 2017.

1. Tackset

Tackset Registered

Hi all,

I am new to rFactor2 and struggling a bit to find my way around. I believe i have seen a new driver guide a while back when i was running the demo, but can't seem to find it anymore.

Some of the initial questions i have:
    • How do I set the optimal FFB strength and how to tell if my wheel is clipping? (edit: found this Guide: Optimal FFB settings for rFactor 2 - The key to being in the "Zone" :D -- Download: Pedal Overlay Plugin (dx9 only atm))
    • Where can i set the horizontal FOV? (edit: ah right. rF2 uses vertical FOV only, scrap this question)
    • Important keyboard shortcuts (can i move UI components? The 'LCD' screen is masking the rear view dash display in the Megane)
    • What Plugins are important to have? There are probably a few that nearly everybody is running?
    • I am looking for a 'relative box' telling me the drivers ahead and behind me and my interval. Especially useful for rejoining the track and trying not to mess up others' races. (edit: 4 key brings up the position bar)
    • I miss a spotter telling me if i have someone next to me, do i need the crew chief plugin for this?
    • What would you guys consider a good car / track combo to get familiar with rfactor? I generally prefer the more recent tin-top cars with limited HP. On iRacing i normally drive the MX5 cup car.
    • And finally, where can I jump in a live session to run some practice laps with others?
    I figured out that it is most helpful to unmap the Neutral assignment, so that i can use paddle shifters to get back in Reverse (again for recovering for yet another spin). I also have auto clutch enabled.
    Any other configuration i should consider?

Appreciate your pointers!

Last edited: Jun 27, 2017
  2. Tackset

Tackset Registered

3. Mister Bronze

Mister Bronze Registered

I'm new as well so can't help much but as far as I was aware most plugins do not work if you have opted for the DX11 Beta. WedgeHUD does (steam workshop) and I think this had a ahead/behind interval. If not using DX11 then maybe look at TrackMap?

Crew Chief works fine (DX11). Didn't bother trying the in game spotter.

I primarily got it for Endurance racing so have downloaded Nords and an Endurance car pack (GTE's). Feels pretty good (my only comparison is Assetto Corsa) but neither are 'official' content.

4. Emery

Emery Registered

If you toggle through the default HUD screens, you'll find one that tells you that; sorry, don't know the default toggle key as I have it mapped to a button in addition to a button that turns the HUD on/off.

You can also turn on the position display (default is the "4" key on alphanumeric keyboard, not the numpad). The position display is a line representing the distance of the track with start/finish at either end of the line. Car positions are indicated by the number of their overall position in the race and the safety car is SC. Your position is a number filled in with red background. Cars in the pits will be slightly below the line, rather than on the line, and traveling parallel when moving. Retired cars are not displayed.

5. David O'Reilly

David O'Reilly Registered

If you like the MX5 the Spec Miata might be a nice one. Great feel and progessive handling.
    The Skippy too is a great learning tool.
    Tracks is a big question, your favourites are probably available.
    Some favourites of mine with plenty of cornering are: Spa, Suzuka, Interlagos.
    Other great cars: The stock ISI GT cars are all great. GT3 Camaro, GT2 Corvette, GT1 Nissan. The Apex Modding GT cars. The Enduracers GT cars and LMPs.

Other items that I now find indispensible are the Dashmeter Pro. about €5 and works on any android. Also find Motec helpful.

have fun.

6. Tackset

Tackset Registered

Thanks for your replies. I will check the crew chief.
    I liked the laser scanned nordschleife a lot, the other one (with 24h, summer and autumn layout) not so much.

The Megane drives very nice and will definitely check the Camaro and LMP out!

The position display disappeared yesterday, now i know how to get it back :)

7. marsomething

marsomething Registered

new here, where do you download cars? Looking for the spec miata.

8. Tackset

Tackset Registered

9. marsomething

marsomething Registered

10. marsomething

marsomething Registered

11. Korva7

Korva7 Registered

You need to throw the files to packages folder: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\rFactor 2\Packages
    Then open rf2 launcher, press content tab (picture of cardboard box). Then find the mod from the list and install it.

There's lot's of third party content in the steam workshop also.

12. marsomething

marsomething Registered

So the miata worked, thank you. Is that the same folder where I drop tracks? I'm looking at tracks I found on nogripracing. Appears to be an rfactor download, but when I drop them into the file I dropped the miata they don't show up in the content tab. Even after I refresh. here is the one I am talking about. once again I'm sorry I really don't know much about computers, just a track addict looking for more practice.

http://www.nogripracing.com/details.php?filenr=43707

13. Daytona 675

Daytona 675 Registered

14. marsomething

marsomething Registered

nevermind figured it out! it wasn't rfactor2 is was the first one....

haha thanks I just saw you post this

15. KrisMay

KrisMay Registered

Any plugins for dx11 beta? I want the lap time or position # and pedal.

16. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Not yet no

17. KrisMay

KrisMay Registered

Well, then dx9 it is for the mean time :(

18. Emery

Emery Registered

Lap time & position are on the default HUD if you toggle through the various screens. Pedal overlay is not available.

19. Tackset

Tackset Registered

There are plugins that still run on dx11 (for instance the crew chief). However, plugins that put info on screen will crash the sim.

That said, on iracing i can have web based overlays that use telemetry data that you can show on a second screen/computer or with some workarounds on your sim display using a transparent web page. So i would imagine that could work on rf2 as well, as log as the applications / plugins are developed.

20. KrisMay

KrisMay Registered

I know, I just like something smaller and detailed.

I run crew chief on AC and rF2, had to revert to dx9 rF2 to use plugins w/o rF2 crashing.