Convert Assetto Corsa To Rfactor (Private Build Not KS models)

Discussion in 'Track Modding' started by RobSim265, Jul 3, 2017.

1. RobSim265

RobSim265 Registered

Hi Guys,

New to the forum but not modding, forgive me in advance if the question has been dealt with before and if this is a silly question in an environment which may have more experienced modders.

As the title says, I want to convert my Assetto Corsa Track to Rfactor 2. Initially my friend and I got caught up with the initial Assetto Corsa craze and decided to scratch build our home track. However AC has been somewhat disappointing for us and we have decided to finish the build in RF2.

The track is basically finished, we haven't worked on it since 2015 (which was a surprise even for me) but we want to get it into RF 2 ASAP to see what else we need to get done etc.

We made the track via BTB and 3dSim after modeling in 3dsMax. That means I have the track in a number of formats. My questions is, whats the quickest and best way to get the track into Dev Mode given that we have already built it and have all textures etc.

Here is what the track looks like.

All help would be appreciated, this seems like a good modding community.

Kind Regards

Rob.

2. Goanna

Goanna Registered

3. Drathuu

Drathuu Registered

Interestingly the above way wont create a .scn file for you.. (i dont believe it would write one). Obviously you would need to set the correct shaders.

To get the scene file generated -
    You could save the file from max in .fbx format.. open it in GJED, set all the object properties - Shadows types etc (Similar to the KSEDITOR) , you can export just the .scn file. (Which would at least write the initial scene file) and the object settings for shadows/colliders.

You would need to remove all the road edge objects from your file (Offroad areas) that AC uses.. as it doenst use these objects to determine the track boundaries.. however you could leave any track edge wall colliders.

You would need to add in the XSector objects for the sectors (Not having done AC im not sure if they use the same naming standards).

Instance=xfinish
    {
    Render=False
    MeshFile=xfinish.gmt CollTarget=True HATTarget=False
    Response=VEHICLE,TIMING
    }
    Instance=xsector1
    {
    Render=False
    MeshFile=xsector1.gmt CollTarget=True HATTarget=False
    Response=VEHICLE,TIMING
    }
    Instance=xsector2
    {
    Render=False
    MeshFile=xsector2.gmt CollTarget=True HATTarget=False
    Response=VEHICLE,TIMING
    }
    Instance=xpitin
    {
    Render=False
    MeshFile=xpitin.gmt CollTarget=True HATTarget=False
    Response=VEHICLE,PITSTOP
    }
    Instance=xpitout
    {
    Render=False
    MeshFile=xpitout.gmt CollTarget=True HATTarget=False
    Response=VEHICLE,PITSTOP
    }

From a process perspective,
    -i would edit your 3dsmax and delete any ac specifics, rename your sector objects as per above xpitin,xpitout etc etc.. edit the track name to racesurface_trackpart1, racesurface_trackpart2, racesurface_pitlane etc etc. Delete AC specific objects.
    -export to .fbx, load into GJED
    Edit colliders, shadows, etc and export (At least you can get starting GMT and SCN File)
    The use 3dsimed to set final shaders (As GJED doesnt have all the new ones) and re-export

You would then need to setup the file structure and appropriate files (You can use Joesville as an example).

Hope that helps as a starting point

4. Gijs van Elderen

Gijs van Elderen Registered

gJED uses the coreshader.mas. If it's ingame, it's in gJED. All new shaders should be available. Custom shader can be put in the shared folder and gjed will use them. :)

5. Drathuu

Drathuu Registered

Really ? I was looking for the Light shader (as per my posts in this thread below) and it was clarified it isnt in GJED ??
    HighSunLum shader wont show up - Coreshaders.mas is correct and working in game ??

https://forum.studio-397.com/index.php?threads/dx11-start-pit-glows.55934/#post-896765\

Tuttle then went on when i asked to clarify support

6. Gijs van Elderen

Gijs van Elderen Registered

Ah, yes. That's not a new shader. And indeed it doesn't show in the gjed shader list. This is the only one.
    Workaround:
    "Merge" a .gmt that makes use of the HighSunLum shader with your project and will be available.

But there are other limitations with gJED. The only way to get a track done properly is with 3ds max 2012 32bit and the rF2 plugin.

7. RobSim265

RobSim265 Registered

Hey guys

Thank you all for the responses and appreciate all the tips etc.

Looking over all of your comments, things seem very fragmented. Not to mention the tutorials out there. That said let Me know if my step by step below which is based on your conversations is correct. I have questions in there.

1. Start 3dsmax, setup to export as FBX.
    Within max do I need to rename any objects like I had to do assetto Corea i.e Road should be named Road etc? Or is that for Gjed

2. Following a successful export from 3ds max, import the FBX into Gjed
    What should I do here step by step. Besides working on the textures with shaders, do I have to rename objects here for them to be recognised in rf2? I.e wall = collider etc ? Is there a page illustrating what each object should be named in order for it to be recognised in rf2.

3. If all objects and textures have been given the appropriate name and textures shaded to my liking, is it fair to say I can now export GMT and SCN to the appropriate folders in MOD Dev > locations (created the appropriate folders using josville).

4. Last step is to see if it all loads in Mod Dev in rf2.

Please let me know if I am missing anything here and thank you again for the initial comments

Kind regards

Rob

8. RobSim265

RobSim265 Registered

Mods Please delete.