Tutorial to convert tracks from rFactor to rFactor2 with 3dsimed

Discussion in 'Track Modding' started by SPASKIS, Nov 9, 2012.

1. Daniele Vidimari

Daniele Vidimari Registered

Hi Spaskis, i tried to pack it and use in single player, the first 3-4 times it did not want to load, no crash but the loading bar stopped to load just after the AIW, before the beginning of the GEN files. Then, magically, it worked (in single player, in dev mode still crash).
    I'm thinking it's something related to my rF2 copy, indeed i can't use the Dev mode in DX11, it crash at launch :(

I'll probably do a new fresh rF2 install.

SPASKIS likes this.
  2. juanarg70

juanarg70 Registered

Great tutorial!! Works like a charm.
    I have the yellow object problem.. But thats already been answered on how to fix it :)

One issue I didn't see anyone else had is that the race starts from the pits.. Any suggestion on this?
    On two diferent tracks.. Happened the same issue. :(

Regards

Last edited: Jun 28, 2017
  3. Drathuu

Drathuu Registered

Never had the above problem, however sounds like AIW (or somethings changed).. you may have to use devmod and recreate a brand new AIW putting start positions on the track. (There is a step by step guide on devmod Aiw creation) in the Dev corner - https://www.studio-397.com/modding-resources/

4. jpalesi

jpalesi Registered

Look into the GDB file if there's a line similar to "RollingStartLoc"

juanarg70 likes this.
  5. juanarg70

juanarg70 Registered

IT WORKED.. Your suggestion solved this issue. thank you!!

I've made three tracks and only in one of them the real road works.. but it is somehow really slow (the rubber buildup) With realroad scale in 15x and 30 cars.. I saw rubber buildup by the end of the weekend.. with practice, qualify and race activated.

I've use joesville track materials.. I dont know if the track example can affect rubber buildup. Maybe trying another ISI track as example would fix this or changin some parameter with the AIW editor in devmod.
    regards
    in devmod.. on road conditions it has manual marbles and groove ¨off¨ with 1% each

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 30, 2017
  6. Drathuu

Drathuu Registered

Did you also use the joesville textures ? If your using your own - Could be the alpha channel value on the road texture, not allowing enough of the realroad texture to come through. Or that the road texture has NO alpha channel - in which case you will need to add one.

juanarg70 likes this.
  7. juanarg70

juanarg70 Registered

The realroad works properly now. I'm refining track mesh to make realroad even better. I notice that the road gets really bumby the more divisions I make to the track object mesh.. See the videos attached.
    I dont know if this is normal, but one problem might be that my track object.. is only one for the entire track, maybe the gmt gets really heavy and rf2 stops working properly.

Will try to separate the track gmt into five objects to see what happends -----> solved

separating the track object into five gmt solve the problem. Everything works perfect. Thank you spaskis. I love you:D

tried to improve the track mesh of another track and I encounter some trouble. While trying to export the gmt from 3dsmax, the process fails with the following message: ""No texmap defined for stage 0, material ROAD11." I think 3dsmax cannot asign a texture to the material, but due to being such a newie on 3dsmax i cannot fix it yet.
    One thing that is different in this gmt from the first track i converted that worked ok, is that the texture is not a dds.. Is a png file. I think this could be the problem.. I will try loading a dds texture to the object in 3dsimed and then try again with 3dsmax.
    Any suggestion would be great!!

Last edited: Jul 1, 2017
    SPASKIS likes this.
  8. SmashingPants67

SmashingPants67 Registered

@SPASKIS I've converted a track but the car don't move and has no tires (the wheels directly touches the ground)

9. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

Seems to be a problem with either:
    1. The material of the track where the car lays. Does it happen regardless starting in practice session (garage) or in race (grid)?

2. Road surface objects should be tagged driveable and collideable. The driveable (hatt target=true) part could be missing making the car lay on its bottom.

10. SmashingPants67

This is the car while in the garage/standings menu:
    [​IMG]
    And this happens as soon as I enter race mode.
    [​IMG]

11. Nibiru

Nibiru Registered

Have you tried the S397 Camaro? Seems your converting the car as well and it has some physics issues.

12. SmashingPants67

With the Camaro it worked, also with the 74 Dissenter it worked.
    Tried with the ZR and it worked.
    Tried with the Group C Legends by Mak Corp and also worked...
    The problem seems to only happen with cars originated from GTA series (not original ones, but mods too), such as this one...

13. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

If the track only fails with one mod, the problem is likely the car, not the track.

If it is failing in devmode it is possible that the car dev mode version is not correct.

Does it fail in dev mod, player mode or both?

14. SmashingPants67

Strangely that exact same car move as AI...

Last edited: Jul 15, 2017
  15. Oddonis

Oddonis Registered

I hope is the right place.
    Do you know how to convert the fbx files exported from Rtb to rfactor 2 and compress it to rfcmp ? Thanks.

SPASKIS likes this.
  16. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

Hi Oddonis.

First of all
    Thanks for posting here instead of commenting on FB.

I am barely using RTB. I simply don't like the result and the lack of control over what I am doing. The last time I tried it, I did a simple draft work on a open road circuit around the factory I work at using the integrated Google utility.

I made a very basic conversion to rF2 just to check the result regarding the road exclusively. The result was awful it was pretty much undriveable. I guess that starting from a plane and creating the terrain from scratch gives you more control over the situation.

I was so disappointed that I really can't remember the exact steps I took. I think 3dsimed directly accepted fbx import but you have to find the export folder to which RTB saves it.

After that, I remember that I had to explode the terrain into smaller pieces. I can't remember if the road was already separated or if you also had to detach it.
    Splitting by material will be useful for this.

Remember to divide terrain and road to smaller objects. Each piece of road or terrain should be ideally below 1MB size to avoid huge performance hit.

For dividing objects you need to be editing a gmt (cannot be done within scn editing). Clicking the right button while dragging a rectangle with the mouse will prompt a menu where you select "cut faces".
    Create a new instance and paste the cut faces (ctrl+v). Save new instance with different name and also the modified original. You will need to modify the scn file including newly created instances.

Repeat as necessary.

Of course apply rF2 standard shaders and materials as described in the tutorial. I suggest using a DX11 Studio397 track as a reference. Road and terrain shaders were updated after I made the tutorial.

I hope I have helped you.

17. Oddonis

Oddonis Registered

Thanks for quick reply.
    So .... looks like it is a waist of money till Brandon at least gives a propper export option because of all that hastle to get it working on rf2. I guess that for Ac is also a bit of a work soo.... Not for me for now.

18. Coutie

Coutie Moderator Staff Member

GJED can open FBX. Located in rFactor 2\Support\Tools.

19. Oddonis

Oddonis Registered

So does 3dsimed 3 but the issue is how to pack it to rfcmp to run it at rf2. Do you know how to do that?

20. Coutie

Coutie Moderator Staff Member

Yes. Same folder, use the mas2 tool. Look for tutorials on creating a component for rf2.

I make my mas files like this:
    maps
    gmt
    anims
    main(tdf and icon)
    tracklayout1
    tracklayout2

Then you create the component.