Released USF2000 2016 Now Available!

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by Christopher Elliott, Nov 23, 2016.

1. MarcG

MarcG Registered

These are fun to Turn Left in!

2. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

You should also have added that the missing winglets have been found!

3. peterchen

peterchen Registered

AI calibrated after physics-change?

4. Karei

Karei Registered

I did some testing at Indy 2014.
    Weather: Sunny default, Air 29°C

You can view my telemetry here: http://imgur.com/a/nSCq3
    (In Imgur, click the picture to zoom it)

Settings from top to bottom:
    Run1 (lap 1 to 9) - 100% Tape
    Run2 (lap 10 to 13) - 80% Tape
    Run3 (lap 14 to 20) - 50% Tape
    Run4 (lap 21 to 27) - No Tape

With 100% I started smoking on lap 7, and blew the engine on lap 9.
    Maximum speed is always the same, no matter the tape:
    100%: 228,00 km/h (only at the beginning of the lap the engine blew up, all the others lap were on 227)
    80%: 227,86 km/h
    50%: 227,88 km/h
    No tape: 227,86 km/h

To help you see what's changed, here is the telemetry for the old car (same weather). http://imgur.com/a/g6MEU

Run1 (lap 24 to 33) - 100% Tape
    Run2 (lap 41 to 46) - 80% Tape

100% Tape gave faster speeds (every lap on average in 228 vs 227, max speed 228,26km/h vs 228,02)

*multiple edits with new informations*

Last edited: May 26, 2017
    marmagas, Guimengo and Alex72 like this.
  5. Karei

Karei Registered

Anyway I have found the USF2000 Rule Book (not the new Tatuus-related one, but the latest one for the DP08):
    http://paddock.indycar.com/Portals/0/Documents/RuleBooks/USF2000_Rulebook.pdf

Two interesting things:
    14.47.4 Tape and/or Adhesive films are not permitted on bodywork seams/openings, suspension openings, cooling ducts, car lifting openings or wickers. Tape is permitted on the fore and aft of the shock cover. Engine bay cooling ducts may be covered with tape when conditions warrant (precipitation or ambient air). Clear “heli-tape” may be used on leading edges for protection against damage only.

14.67.2 Toe, camber and castor may be adjusted, provided they are within the chassis Manufacturer’s suspension specifications. When a tire manufacturer provides a maximum camber, this will supersede the Chassis manufacturer’s maximum adjustment.

6. Christopher Elliott

Christopher Elliott Registered

We made the decision not to allow caster adjustment, based on data we have, the range would be very small anway.

Ernie, Slamfunk3 and Karei like this.
  7. Karei

Karei Registered

Thanks for the explanation!

8. Jake fangio

Jake fangio Registered

This car is simply sublime. The ffb is amazing. I lose myself completely when driving this. If I had one car to take with me on that mythical desert island,it would be this one. Thank you Studio 397.

Brad Dawson, Alex72, daguru and 3 others like this.
  9. MetalMania

MetalMania Registered

Did the USF2000 lose grip after the latest updates? I hadn't driven RF2 for a month or two and ran some laps today in the USF2000 at Road America - the car feels different than I remember it. Steering inputs seem a little "skittish" and it seems to have less grip overall. I realize some of it could just be my time away, knocking the rust off so to speak, but I don't feel like it's reacting as predictably as it did before. Maybe it's just me. Not saying I think there's anything "wrong" now, just wondering if it really is notably different.

10. rocketjockeyr6

rocketjockeyr6 Registered

No testing done personally, but some have said that the default setups have changed to better reflect the real life models.
    If it feels "skittish" maybe increase caster a bit, that should help with sensitivity. Especially Road America will like a very high caster setting with these types of cars. Also, try a bit more(negative) front camber and less rear. Something like -3.2 front and -1.2 rear should be about right.
    Ive never played with these F2000 but these are common principles with all cars, racing or otherwise.

Filipe Gonçalves likes this.
  11. rocketjockeyr6

Okay, Ive just loaded the car for the first time(havent even driven yet), and I see there is no caster adjustment :eek:. And camber is very high because of how narrow the tyres are. Will play with the setup to find the best feel.
    BTW, does anyone know if caster is fixed like this in the real series? I have no knowledge about this series, but a lack of any suspension adjustment is strange to me.

kram49 likes this.
  12. rocketjockeyr6

Spent about an hour in this thing(national series) at Road America.
    I just cant seem to overcome the understeer. PB of 1:12.01, AI @ 100% were steady 1:10's.
    Overall, I just cant find any real joy in this car... o_O Maybe just me.
    Perhaps, if someone who does enjoy this car might upload a setup of theirs, to see what I am missing, I might find some love for this little thing. :cool:

13. stonec

stonec Registered

Probably doesn't have caster, or at least doesn't have much adjustment. Without power steering adding a lot of caster is not practical, as driver would have to work very hard to get the wheel turned. Indy cars don't have power steering, so I doubt this car has.

14. Karei

Karei Registered

It does have it, but as you can read on post #166 on this same page, the devs decided to lock it.

15. rocketjockeyr6

Reading the technical regulations right now, it says camber/caster/toe are all adjustable.
    There is no mention anywhere of these having P/S, and with tyres that small I doubt you would need it.
    Also the default, locked, setting of 11 something degrees, is a monstrously huge amount of caster.
    To put it in perspective, most road going cars have a preferred caster setting between 1 and 3 degrees. And believe me, half a degree in either direction makes a notable difference.

16. stonec

stonec Registered

Yeah 11 is definitely unrealistic. USF2000 is a third party mod basically, so maybe that's why it's not using the correct specifications in the setup. Also, it may explain why people like the FFB of this car more than others (the high caster). It seems that hacking the caster high also "fixed" the FFB of the F2 car, but it's not really a good long-term solution for FFB problems.

17. stonec

stonec Registered

"Mike Peters worked closely with us and John Cummiskey Racing, before contacting Tim Wheatley to ask whether the car could become a third party affiliate mod. We were immediately on board, and the Studio 397 content team got behind the car. From there the USF started evolving and taking shape. Initial testing reports from our test team were overwhelmingly positive, giving the development effort an extra push.

The level of detail and precise access to physics and 3D data would not have been possible without the members of Mike Peters’ group: John Cummiskey, Tyler Bell, and Grant Peters. Grant and Tyler, interns starting their 2nd year with JCR, compiled all of the data and setup information for the Studio 397 team to complete work on the car."

I read this as that the modding group of Mike Peters did a large part of the car, and no discredit to them, but it would explain why the caster value is fictional and can't even be changed to a realistic one. Most of the ISI/S397 cars follow real-life specs very closely.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2017
  18. peterchen

peterchen Registered

Makes even less sense....

Guimengo and Louis like this.
  19. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

I was trying to adjust the mirrors to point more backwards/center-ish, but I can't really get that working. If I adjust the angle on one side mirror, I would expect its neighbour to do the opposite, instead rotating in the same manner. In this way, there is no way to adjust the mirrors properly and I have no choice but to resort to virtual mirrors. Is this something car specific?

20. RoWo

RoWo Member

Play around with Ctrl, Shift, Alt...