AI Slip Stream

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Pales, May 15, 2017.

1. Pales

Pales Registered

It would appear this isn't very apparent. I have my AI Aggression set to 50% and AI Strength 100%. Whenever they're on straights, you can seem them picking up on speed but they tend to break for about 0.1 sec rather than go for the pass.. This is so frustrating!

I've tested this on several maps and it's the same result. Anyway to change this?

Edit; Just to make things clear, the AI do occasionally overtake on straights but they very RARELY utilize the slipstream. They're always so hesitant on pulling out to attempt it, which results in them breaking every 0.1 to match the car pace ahead.

Last edited: May 15, 2017
    salvasirignano likes this.
  2. peterchen

peterchen Registered

Is a known issue, but seems not high on prio- list.
    What tracks you tested? What cars?
    This was discussed here already and if I remember correctly, it was a big difference depending on mod/track.
    But maybe this changed altogether again with newer build...

3. Alex72

Alex72 Registered

Yeah i also read/heard that its a known thing. When i heard it i didnt believe it because i drove on Oulton Park and i remember AI being behind me and then going out and passing me. But since then i noticed often that they could come up behind, gain speed but slow down again as they came too close. I also havent tested it now in DX11, but might be that the AI coding regarding this simply isnt fully consistent. Would be cool though if they were consistent.

4. LokiD

LokiD Registered

oh my oh my. My major Ai bug bear in all gmotor sims. Happened in gsc ams race 07 rf rf2

fixed in race room. And doesn't happen in ac either - I know its not gmotor.

would love this to be eventually fixed. could devs maybe look Into the last remaining Ai issue rf2 has ?

salvasirignano and bluet like this.
  5. Pales

Pales Registered

Thanks for your input guys. I ran about 40 laps on Silverstone (as an example) and the AI had plenty of space to overtake but didn't. Hopefully the Dev's can fine tune this area, as every other part of the ai is flawless.

6. peterchen

peterchen Registered

They do, they do! DonĀ“t worry!
    I think it was already fixed some time ago, but came back,- not sure anymore.
    However, they know!

7. Pales

Pales Registered

I wonder if the devs can share any insight to this?

salvasirignano and Hazi like this.
  8. Pales

Pales Registered

Bump.

Hazi likes this.
  9. kevib1

kevib1 Registered

Have you tried a higher aggression. I never run less than 80% with open wheelers and 90% with tin tops mainly for the reason that the ai never want to overtake and give up too easily if you get along side them. Maybe this is the same thing, no desire by the ai to overtake?

10. Pales

Pales Registered

I have tried many things but to no avail. It would be very handy if we could get a developer response on this?

11. Pales

Pales Registered

With the recent update, I still feel the need to bump this as extensive testing proves AI are still unable to utilize slipstream. When will we get an official response to this?

AI are still breaking every 0.5 on long straights rather than attempt overtake.. if this was to be fixed, the ai would be faultless.

salvasirignano and Guimengo like this.
  12. MarcG

MarcG Registered

FYI there have been no core AI updates in any of the DX11 Builds so far, I'm hoping this is something that S397 get around too in the future but for now they're getting DX11 up and running whilst concentrating on other more important areas (perfectly acceptable to me as the AI is very good already and has been for many years). There are however many AI nuances catalogued over the years that need attention and slipstreaming is just one of them :)

13. Pales

Pales Registered

Wouldn't you consider slip streaming a key area, seeing as the game is revolved around racing? It's just a shame it's being overlooked.

RoboCAT10 and (deleted member) like this.
  14. MarcG

MarcG Registered

I would, yes. But like I said, they have their hands full at the moment and there's no evidence to suggest it's being overlooked, once the DX11 Builds come out of beta then I'm hopeful we'll start to see some AI improvements, until then a little patience is required :)

15. Pales

Pales Registered

I guess we will just have to wait. Still though, it doesn't hurt for them to be more engaging. Just a response to know that they're aware and listening to the community is good enough for me.

16. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Trust me they're listening to the community all the time, just because they don't respond doesn't mean they haven't seen requests for various features/advancements/bugs etc :)

jayarrbee36 likes this.
  17. salvasirignano

salvasirignano Registered

Bump :)
    I've almost spammed rF2 forums complaining of this, it's so incredibly frustrating that it has been completely overlooked by successive developers for over a decade!
    If it were trivial it would have been resolved by now I'm sure, but that said, it's something so core to the enjoyment of offline racing that I'm surprised it hasn't been prioritised.
    It would be wonderful if a developer were to acknowledge and shed a little light on the issue (Hint hint @ Studio 397)
    GP4 is still the one I turn to if I want good offline racing, but rF2 with AI on a par with GP4 would be simracing nirvana, I wouldn't fire up anything else!

peterchen likes this.
  18. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

I actually wonder how easy would this be to fix considering rfactor AI (and slip stream problem) is over ten years old now.

It is very likely that whoever programmed this is not involved with rFactor2 anymore. Considering background regarding d documentation, I would expect a very difficult task taking up other person's job. Especiallly in an area like artificial intelligence.

If this slip stream problem is to be solved I think the whole AI code would need to be rewritten. More or less like AI leaning modes. It would seem easier to create new modes better than trying to perfection existing ones.

19. LokiD

LokiD Registered

sector3 have managed it (almost I think) with raceroom. Isnt that isi gmotor at the core? AMS defo doesn't work.. They do the same tap the brakes.

20. salvasirignano

salvasirignano Registered

Bump in the hope of Studio 397 response :)