Rfactor2 The VR thread -settings & tips

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Adrianstealth, Apr 30, 2017.

1. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Although I don't use maps for tracks

I'm hoping certain features will be intigrated as standard into the new UI , things like delta time bar
    (the green red thing )
    & track map (as I know some like it),
    Also pedal travel/pressure indicator

These things should really be a standard imo , many never bother fiddling with non official 3rd party plug ins

sherpa25 and vegaguy5555 like this.
  2. Cote Dazur

Cote Dazur Registered

Never use HUD in VR myself, it breaks the fantastic immersion of VR in my book.
    Why not learn the track by driving it, to me it is a lot of fun, take a slower car to begin and the faster and faster.
    Following slow AI is also a good way.
    In VR since we can see the display on the wheel in race car or the gauge in road cars, hud is not necessary. Delta times though is a must.

sherpa25 and vegaguy5555 like this.
  3. Bruce0440

Bruce0440 Registered

I do not untherstad yours. No hud but yes delta time.
    The delta time is integrante on the wheel for the new RACE Cars. If not, the spotter is a posibility.
    But I think that every body can choose.

4. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Just an FYI but when people refer to the "Trackmap plug-in" it's not necessarily for the actual Live Track Map but for all the other options that the plug-in was used for.

Cote Dazur likes this.
  5. Cote Dazur

Cote Dazur Registered

I like a delta apps that is easy to see and changes color when ahead or behind. Also always having the same delta at the same spot on screen makes it second nature to watch in any car without distracting too much from the driving.

vegaguy5555 likes this.
  6. vegaguy5555

vegaguy5555 Registered

So far I can't get super sampling to work in steam. I know Oculus debugging you have to push enter to enable. How is steams ss enabled?

7. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

start steam VR ( press the "VR" in top right of your steam box )
    open the extended taskbar (bottom right hand side ....the ^ on your taskbar )

right click the VR icon , find it in settings, you may need to fiddle a bit before you understand but its fairly easy

vegaguy5555 likes this.
  8. Cote Dazur

Cote Dazur Registered

What should I do to have the wheel I see in game do what my real wheel does?

9. vegaguy5555

vegaguy5555 Registered

Sounds like I'm in the right place doing the right thing. How do you enable my new super sampling setting? Enter button like Oculus debugging? Or is there an enable button I'm missing somewhere?

10. Korva7

Korva7 Registered

What do you mean? Does the ingame wheel rotate different amount than the real wheel? Or is there delay between real wheel rotation and the in-game wheel rotation?

vegagay5555 There is no enable button. The adjustment should take effect automaticly.

vegaguy5555 likes this.
  11. Milopapa

Milopapa Registered

Have you seen my post here? Does the slider change anything? It's recommended to change the value before launching rFactor (although it might work mid-game).

vegaguy5555 likes this.
  12. Cote Dazur

Cote Dazur Registered

the ingame wheel rotate different amount than the real wheel

@MarcG thank you for your advices on setting the PP in Steam, went from 1.0 to 1.6 and it made a world of difference, much clearer now. I did not touch the adjustment in OTT,

Last edited: Jun 26, 2017
    MarcG likes this.
  13. vegaguy5555

vegaguy5555 Registered

I can't remember if the two boxs are checked below or not?

14. Korva7

Korva7 Registered

If you use normal consumer wheel, it should rotate the same amount by default.
    Have you changed the wheel rotation from the settings panel of the wheel? If you have that might cause problems.

15. Cote Dazur

Cote Dazur Registered

I have a CSR Elite, and I have not changed the rotation. RF2 charges the rotation by itself as you most likely already know.

16. Ricknau

Ricknau Registered

You gotten that vid card and tried the Pimax yet? I'm interested in what you think of it. 4k res seems appealing depending on those caveats. Especially curious if 60hz will cause greater sickness as conventional wisdom says. Please post when you've tried it.

Christopher Snow likes this.
  17. Kokomo

Kokomo Registered

Does it happen in all cars?

18. Christopher Snow

Christopher Snow Registered

I don't have a v. card to drive the Pimax yet, no. At this point, battling a slow internet connection anyway (and trying to replace that this week), I'm hoping to see actual cost of the MSI GTX 1080 Ti Lightning Z, which will supposedly be available in the US in July--if that means early July, my wallet is primed and ready. If it means the end of July, I probably won't wait that long. Reading about a couple of water-cooling 1080 Ti solutions too...

A card that fast is not strictly necessary to drive even the Pimax anyway--another user here who has a Pimax suggests I'd be happy with even a 1070 in rF2, and I imagine he's right. rF2 isn't particularly demanding of hardware as best I remember, and I got pretty decent FPS even out of my old GTX 580 (which is currently in the new PC, but which, unfortunately, won't drive the Pimax even at 5 FPS (the Pimax demands a HDMI 1.4b connection)). But I'll want the GPU power for other sims too, and the 1080 Ti can only help with that.

Moreover, and even though I'm sure I will like the Pimax, I'm not convinced it'll be practical for long-distance racing in particular. I'm generally pretty good at adapting to motion-sickness problems, so I don't expect the 60 Hz limitation to be an issue for me--it isn't one when using the 1080P "superfov" projection for racing anyway, which is also at 60Hz if I remember correctly--and in very demanding sims/games at 4K it looks like a well-cooled single 1080 Ti card can be expected to put out pixels above 60 FPS...but not hugely so. That is one other attraction to buying a 1080 Ti: Those cards seem to scale very well run in tandem SLI, and THAT is potentially important to me for driving a 4K projector solution. There are a couple of those which should also ship in July which are almost reasonably priced--$2000-$2500 range (US dollars)...and those are serious options for me.

My current 1080P projection (big screen) is roughly equivalent in terms of pixel density to what the Pimax (now), and the next generation of Vive and Rift should all be showing the eye, but a 4K projected image (big screen) would be just gorgeous.

It's the old saw: The enemy of the good is the better, and I'm always on the lookout for the better...if I can afford it. ;D

Last edited: Jun 29, 2017
  19. elbo

elbo Registered

Any one else experience trouble with steamvr dashboard. Mine has ceased to work suddenly so I can't view the desktop anymore through the headset (oculus)?

20. Cote Dazur

Cote Dazur Registered

it seems to be better since the last update, I have not driven the same cars, but the one I drove this after noon were good.